PDA

View Full Version : Course concern

sarah707
21-03-2010, 08:59 PM
I have just received an email from a training company offering a free download for an epipen training course.

I am sure if I have got it then it will have gone out to many of you guys too.

I am very concerned about this email and have written to the training company expressing my concerns.

My email says -

Can you please advise how it meets the Eyfs requirement -

If the administration of prescription medicines requires technical/medical knowledge then individual training should be provided for staff from a qualified health professional. Training should be specific to the individual child concerned.

This clearly means that practitioners must attend training from a health professional rather than an online / downloaded course.

It is also clear that the training must be accessed for each child and the only way I am aware that this can be proven to Ofsted is if the practitioner has a certificate signed and dated by the health professional.

My concern is that your course will mislead practitioners into believing they have done enough to meet requirements, when this is clearly not the case.

I will update you when I have received a reply (I hope I get a reply) from the training company, but can I please urge you not to do the course and think that you have enough information to treat a child with an anaphylaxis reaction.

The course may well be a good one, I do not know, that is not the point iyswim.

You must follow the Eyfs requirements which is to access health professional training for each child.

Hth :D

littletreasures
21-03-2010, 09:03 PM
I got this email on Friday. I attended a First Aid course on Saturday and asked the man who ran it about this sort of training as I did not think I would be confident enough after watching a video to give an epipen if necessary.

He said that it should be done in person not by watching a video. This was as I suspected but wanted to get someone elses view on it.

I look forward to hearing what their reply is.
Thank you Sarah.

Pipsqueak
21-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Thats quite scary:eek:

Will be looking forward to the reply they send you

Playmate
21-03-2010, 09:16 PM
extremely frightening to think this sort thing is sent out randomly by email. :eek:

Blaze
21-03-2010, 09:21 PM
I can only echo what has been said already - very frightening when you consider the potential consequences!:eek: My first aid course did cover the different type of epipens & how to administer them - but it was made clear that individual training should be done for each child in our care - the training was more to cover us as a first aid trained person ie if a stanger to us (child), say at the park was in need as was beyond the point of administering it themselves IYSWIM.

PS I haven't received the email, but am interested to hear their reply!

Mouse
21-03-2010, 09:26 PM
I hope you get a reply to your email. It's very frightening to think they're offering a video course on something like this.

sarah707
21-03-2010, 09:30 PM
I hope you get a reply to your email. It's very frightening to think they're offering a video course on something like this.

Yes it is but it is more frightening (I think) that people might think it's enough to watch a video!!

When they get to the time when their actions might save someone's life and open the pen the wrong way and inject themselves or miss the right muscle because instead of feeling it with a trainer pen they have dozed through a video... :(

Playmate
21-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Yes it is but it is more frightening (I think) that people might think it's enough to watch a video!!

When they get to the time when their actions might save someone's life and open the pen the wrong way and inject themselves or miss the right muscle because instead of feeling it with a trainer pen they have dozed through a video... :(

You are so right Sarah, when I trained as a nurse to give injections it took alot of practice before I felt confident to give one on my own. I know epipens are a bit different, but I would certainly want updateing by a health professional if I was asked to look after a child that required one.

TheBTeam
21-03-2010, 09:42 PM
You are so right Sarah, when I trained as a nurse to give injections it took alot of practice before I felt confident to give one on my own. I know epipens are a bit different, but I would certainly want updateing by a health professional if I was asked to look after a child that required one.

A lot of us know that we are required to be trained in person specifically for each child and that general in person (let alone video) training is not sufficient, but there will be some that think they have done something good by following this!:eek:

tulip0803
21-03-2010, 10:08 PM
I cared for a child that needed one and went to the doctor to get training (we have the same surgery), I have had the general telling in first aid over the years but know it's not good enough. Another minder had child previously & asked me why I had gone to the doctor when all you have to do is jab it on her thigh:eek: .

MarpleJollytots
21-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Thankyou Sarah once again for all the hard work you do.

Heaven Scent
22-03-2010, 01:18 AM
I hear what you are saying and agree with it wholeheartedly but - I have been battling with the mediacal profession to give me training for a child who i care for 1 day pw he goes to another minder the rest of the week but she doesn't seem to give a hoot - I am the one who after much nagging managed to get us both a copy of his care plan which quite clearly says that training for use of the eppipen should be given by a medical professional who is involved in this childs care. The other minder was a nurse in a past life and has been minding for about 20 years so will never have had training in eppipens but she says because she is a qualified nurse she won't need the training - bull!!!!. The mum is the only one who can speak to the medical professions and has given up the fight - where do I go now???

I only know that you measure from the knee to the half way point at the top of the leg and from the outside the the half way point at the front at the top and you inject into the muscle at that point - bloomin' great - I'd feel a bit better if I could see something at least but I've not been sent the e-mail - could you e-mail me the name of the training company so I can see if its the same company I did my First Aid training through the other week who were plugging a half day eppipen traing course - all for more revenue of course - If this one is free I wouldn't mind seeing it just in case I would ever have to use one in an emergency - not for the child mentioned here I haven't given up with my fight on this one - if necessary I will serve notice as its only before and after school care one day per week and one day in the hols so not a huge loss. Funny that this should come up now I only mentioned this in another thread recently.

Muffin
22-03-2010, 08:09 AM
I got this email yesterday. I'm glad you've emailed them Sarah. I deleted it because I didn't see how I could do that course online.
Lets hope they reply to you.

Debb

Chatterbox Childcare
22-03-2010, 08:23 AM
I did mine with a health visitor and NCMA won't insure an online course.

Heaven Scent
22-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Guess what battle I'll be fighting again today???:panic: :panic: If I watched the video I wouldn't claim that I had received training as I don't consider it adequate - I'd just like to have an idea - also I suppose for those who received their training some time ago it would be a useful reminder of what they were told or not on their course.

sarah707
13-04-2010, 04:59 PM
I have just sent another email... :D

Dear Mr Hurrell

I wrote to you when I received this email on 21st March 2010.

It was quite a long message questioning the wisdom of providing a product which does not help early years practitioners meet the statutory requirements of the EYFS.

I am saddened that you have not had the good grace to reply to my email. I think it says a lot about a company when they choose not to either respond to or accept criticism, don't you?

Best regards,

TheBTeam
13-04-2010, 05:11 PM
What do you think your chances of a reply are?:panic: :rolleyes: :laughing:

Mookins
14-04-2010, 08:40 AM
any update on this

what an awful way to try and get people to downlad...it probably only shows you part of it and then you will have to pay to watch the rest or something rediculous
x x

AnnieM
14-04-2010, 01:23 PM
I received the email too, it is very worrying to think that people may be prepared to administer the epipen after watchind a video. :panic: