PDA

View Full Version : assistants and over 8's

loocyloo
21-03-2010, 08:21 PM
i've read the advice sheet for using an assistant, and it says that an over 8 yr old may leave the childminding setting with an assistant (with parental permission) but that is the only mention of over 8's!

i know my assistant can do the school run with 5-8's, as long as i am at home when they/she are home, my assistant can also have the under 5's with her whilst doing the school run (we do the school run together, but i stop to drop a child off at piano, and she continues on towards home with her own children and my DD, and sometimes an under 5) all with parental permission of course.

one of my after schoolers has now turned 8! what i am wondering is ... can i leave him at home with my assistant and the 3 under 5's whilst i take the rest with me to collect child from piano? ( taking 5 mins max. ) i would get parental permission, but it would make life slightly simpler if i could!

if any of that has made sense to you, and you know that answer! thank you!

loocyloo
22-03-2010, 11:45 AM
i emailed ofsted and they replied to say that i need approval from ofsted before leaving children alone with an assistant, and only for school runs, or little ones etc ... but it doesn't answer the over 8's question!

anyone?

xxx

Chatterbox Childcare
22-03-2010, 12:10 PM
There are three registers but the Voluntary and Compulsory come under one when it is on your certificate. I have both listed on mine and I leave any age with my assistant.

loocyloo
22-03-2010, 12:29 PM
There are three registers but the Voluntary and Compulsory come under one when it is on your certificate. I have both listed on mine and I leave any age with my assistant.

thank you. it says on my certificate that i can only leave those on the compulsory childcare register alone with my assistant when 'off the premises'

so maybe i need to ask to have that amended to include the voluntary register.

murphy61
22-03-2010, 02:34 PM
thank you. it says on my certificate that i can only leave those on the compulsory childcare register alone with my assistant when 'off the premises'

so maybe i need to ask to have that amended to include the voluntary register.

mine says the same. think i need to phone ofsted aswel

loocyloo
22-03-2010, 05:13 PM
been emailing ofsted back and forth trying to clarify their position on over 8's ...

this was the last reply

In response to your enquiry I can advise that as long as you have the assistant condition on your certificate then it can be applied to any age of children.

they asked for my reg number, which i gave them, and my cert says that i may leave children ... BUT only under 5's in the house, 5-8's off the premises only ... NO MENTION OF 8 YR OLDS! have now asked my DO, she is pretty on the ball, and she is pretty sure you can leave over 8's with an assistant at home ... she is trying to find out too!

clear as mud!