PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy knowledge about registration!

Moolie GB
16-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi,

Just a quick question to ask if anyone else is confused by what is required by the pre-reg visit? Basically I am thinking about not going ahead with the application because I am worried I will fail.:(

What I am worried about is that all the info I can get anywhere about pre-reg, is about the EYFS. But I want to know the technical details of what they are looking for in a home. For example, my husband said that we would never pass because, for example, we have a large TV in the front room with two large speakers next to it, which are on a glass table. Will we get refused because of the glass table? Also we have wooden cabinets with glass in them, could this lead to a fail? I am really not sure what they are looking for with regards to this. An accident shouldn't happen, because like with my toddler now, I will be supervising the other children as well when they are near these things. Also we have loads of toys because of my toddler, but will we get failed on this because, there is not much floor space left?

I am terrified about getting refused, because on the Ofsted website, it says that if you fail the reg. process, you can't re-apply in the future. In which case I'm thinking maybe we will just pull out and re-apply if and when we move.

Also I've read that you need to be registered as a 'food business' if you want to cook for the children. I have food hygiene cert, but this has disheartened me as well, because I was hoping to do cooking, e.g. cakes, with the children, them safely mixing the ingedients in the front room on the table, and me transferring it into the kitchen to cook it, so they could take it home for their mum and dad later. Looks like that idea is out of the window!:(

Sorry to waffle on. I feel a bit down today because I was looking forward to doing this, but I'm put off by red tape where ever I turn!

Thanks for your help,

Victoria xx

Moolie GB
16-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Feeling lonely - had no replies! Any thoughts? :)

Maureen75
16-03-2010, 06:35 PM
I was a bit daunted by all of it at first as well.
There does seem a lot to get your head around but if you take it one step at a time you'll get there.
As for whether or not your home is suitable for childminding- the inspector will want to see that you've looked at areas in your home that may be a danger to children and have taken steps (where possible) to minimise the risk.
For example if you have a glass cabinet is it safety glass? If not you will have to put safety film on it (quite cheap on e-bay). As for the TV unit - the same thing and if it has sharp corners you might need corner protectors.
If you go through each room you're planning on using like this and write down everything you plan to do and show it to the inspector this should be fine. The more things you actually get put in place before inspection the better you'll feel.
HTH and good luck.

Merry-Minder
16-03-2010, 06:46 PM
First of all you need to remember that you are registering as a childminder not a nursery and therefore as this is your home you cannot bubble wrap everything - your lo seems to live in house safely enough so why not a minded child?? We all have risk assessments in place to make sure we are aware of any safety issues and how we expect to make them as safe as possible ie: adequte supervision around your tv and speakers.
The space issue most likely isnt an issue, you dont need a massive house, I live in a modest terraced house and can have 5 children at any one time.
It is very duanting in the early days of your reg - but the fog lifts and you realise that thing arent quite as strict and set in stone as you first thought.
When you have your pre-reg visit your inspector will simply point out things she feels need changing - you can use this visit to help.

I hope this helps.xxx

sarah707
16-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Feeling lonely - had no replies! Any thoughts? :)

When you are new it takes a while for your post to be authorised, depending on what me and the other moderators are doing at the time...

So never feel lonely! You will pop into peoples' reading lists eventually. :D

In answer to your question... all you can do is go through the process and have the Ofsted meeting.

You will know what they expect from you and you will then need to decide if it's worth the upheaval.

Good luck! :D

linda2girls
16-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Victoria - please don't worry and don't be down about it. On the first visit the Ofsted person will help you and offer advice. When she came round to me last month, she just made a note that I should put locks on the airing cupboard and under-stairs cupboard and safety film over the long mirrors in bedroom and buy more resources (I have 8 year old twins, so no baby or toddler toys - she understood that until I get some mindees there's no point in doing anything drastic). Just make a note of what they mention. My friend has to put perspex on her staircase as it's unsafe - but she hasn't failed, it's just something she will need to sort out. As long as you show that you are aware of potential hazards and state that you will be doing a full risk assessment - that's all she will want to hear. As for space, when I was on my course the instructor said this isn't an issue. Make use of the space by being organised, perhaps box up some toys in clear boxes, so the children can still see them.

You do have to register with Environmental Health and they will send you out a really good booklet. I don't think in this area that they even visit you. You can email them and get the booklet before you register if you want to.

Honestly, you aren't going to fail on what you've mentioned, so go ahead and just take their advice.

Sorry to ramble on.

Linda.

Moolie GB
16-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Thank you everyone for giving me some much needed encouragement!:) Feel much happier now. I'm starting to think that I can do it now! Does not sound like I need to make any drastic improvements and if I can just buy some safety film and locks to go on things that is great! Was thinking I might have to go out and buy a whole new set of furniture!

Buying the boxes is a good idea as I can organise the house for my little boy as well, which will be a good thing. It's also good to know that you don't have to have a lot of toys for different ages to begin with, you can add to them as you go along!

Linda, thanks for your help with environmental health - I thought I would have to have another full inspection of the 'food premises', but I can handle a booklet fine!

Sorry Sarah, just got a bit worried there for a min! :blush:

Will just have to attend the test in April now and see if I manage to pass that! Thank you all once again,

Victoria xx

SparklingGems
17-03-2010, 09:19 AM
I was also very worried like you as we have glass doors on our cabinets and big floor standing speakers and a huge tv.

I decided before hand to put the safety film on the glass.

When I had my pre reg visit he advised since it had safety glass mark on I didint need it but I felt happier with it on. Regarding speakers I just risk assessed and she was happy with that.

Then with my huge tv she asked me to show her what happened if a child pulled it and luckily ours twists. If it hadnt she advised I would have needed to have found some way of securing it to the wall.

I got one thing I needed to do before my next visit once Im registered and that was put something around my fire to stop bumped heads.

But I never got failed. My advise would be to do a risk assessment so when they come out you can show you have though about all the potential dangers and have ideas how to make them better.

Goodluck with everything you will be fine