PDA

View Full Version : Planning and 6 Areas of Development.

Bitsy Beans
15-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Right I am sure this question has been asked a thousand times :laughing: but when you do your planning do you plan a separate activity for each area of learning or do you link one activity to more than one areas of learning?

Just wondered how you do it :)

littlestar
15-03-2010, 02:54 PM
hi i do planned obs on areas i am lacking but random obs i try to see how many areas of learning i can fit in so it saves time and paper and me writing up so much you will find they fall under several :)

singlewiththree
15-03-2010, 02:56 PM
I try and cover one area of learning so that I don't have to cross reference it in the file.

Bitsy Beans
15-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Littlestar I am happy to link an ob to several areas but when I do my monthly planning for each child I am trying to come up with a separate activity aimed at that area. I feel like the planning is taking over and I hate the feeling that it's hanging like a milstone around my neck :o I just wondered if you all linked your monthly planning to more than one area of development
eg. say for example in my planning folder under the month of March I could list down junk modelling for child X. I can then link that to CD, PD (for fine motor skills), CLL for talking about what we are making etc rather than say just using that activity as a focus for just one area of learning like CD and then having to come up with something different for PD and CLL during the month.

Mrs M
15-03-2010, 05:00 PM
My April planning is as follows:
PSED - Make a collage of us all. Make a den.
CLL - Introduce a rhyme time bag. Make cakes.
PSR&N - Use the number box. Sing number related songs. Pasta play.
KUW - Investigate effects of wind - bubbles, streamers and wind chimes. Hang things from tree. ICT.
PD - Provide music, scarves, streamers and musical instruments so children can respond simultaneously to music. Musical bumps.
CD - Provide streamers to wave and make swirling lines. Make shiny mobiles using cd's and place them in the tree (this one obviously overlaps with KUW).

So I aim to plan one activity per area of the learning and development. However, they do link into the other areas.
Hope that helps. Not sure that I'm doing it right but it's the way that tends to work for me.

Bitsy Beans
16-03-2010, 07:25 AM
Thanks Emma, that's the way I've been doing it but for one mindee I only have her once a week and I was finding I couldn't fit it all in during the month.

Mrs M
16-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks Emma, that's the way I've been doing it but for one mindee I only have her once a week and I was finding I couldn't fit it all in during the month.

You've got to do what works for you and your mindee. I have a mindee who comes every now and again, sometimes not even once per month so I have to adapt things to suit him, me and the other children.