PDA

View Full Version : Just got my registration certificate! loads of questions

dizzycatmojo
14-03-2010, 11:54 PM
I am now officially a registered childminder! OMG :panic: I am now petrified about starting up, I am a lone mum and will be coming off JSA onto working tax credits and I am worried about my finances.. I have one mindee lined up for three mornings from 7.45am till 2pm and will also be taking three children to school as well as some holiday care, luckily for me I know the children and families and they don't need the 4 week settling in period :) I have an average of 18 hours work a week but that's an average some weeks will be less and some more.
Does anyone have experience of being a Lone mum coming off benefits?
Is it a good idea to average out your charges to give a non variable monthly wage? ie charge every 4 weeks instead of a set date each month?
Any advice please.
I'm sure I will be OK but its now really real:eek:
Lisa in a panic!:D

Jules27
15-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Hi ya, don't have any answers for you just wanted to congratulate you on your registration and coming off JSA, thats a big step, well done!! I know there are others on here in similar situation to you who I am sure will be about soon with some answers xxxx :D

naomiesian
15-03-2010, 08:38 AM
I am now officially a registered childminder! OMG :panic: I am now petrified about starting up, I am a lone mum and will be coming off JSA onto working tax credits and I am worried about my finances.. I have one mindee lined up for three mornings from 7.45am till 2pm and will also be taking three children to school as well as some holiday care, luckily for me I know the children and families and they don't need the 4 week settling in period :) I have an average of 18 hours work a week but that's an average some weeks will be less and some more.
Does anyone have experience of being a Lone mum coming off benefits?
Is it a good idea to average out your charges to give a non variable monthly wage? ie charge every 4 weeks instead of a set date each month?
Any advice please.
I'm sure I will be OK but its now really real:eek:
Lisa in a panic!:D

Hi, I have just started Cm and I'm also employed for 16 hours a week until the end of this month so I have been claiming help with rent, council tax and tax credits, although this has been put on hold until I cease to be employed. I have been advised when you ring up tax credits you will be asked to give an estimate of what you expect to earn for the year, they will then calculate what your award will be from that, I'm guessing that like me, by the time you take of all your expenses and start up costs your earnings are going to be around £5000 maybe less for the year, which should mean you will be entitled to the higher rate of tax credits, as for help with rent/council tax, contact your council, might be different to mine but I have a form to fill in every couple of months, list my in-comings and outgoings and my award is then calculated from this. hope this helps hun, if your still unsure just give them a ring and they can give you advice or pop into your local J's and ask.
Good luck and congratulations
Naomiesian :clapping:

Chatterbox Childcare
15-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Singlewiththree will be along I expect and I think she has been through this and will share her experiences.

Goatgirl
15-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Hi :),
I was in the same position as you when I became registered. With the hours you describe you should qualify for child tax credits etc and you can count time spent on paperwork too, for tax credit purposes, so don't worry about any weeks you average less than 16 hours.
If you get any housing benefit at the moment, you should get this for another 4 weeks, to help you in the tansition to employment... you have to have been on benefits for a certain amount of continuous time to qualify, so if you've been on JSA for a while but it was Income support before that, their records may show the changeover as a break. Just keep chasing it up and you'll get what you're entitled to eventually. You should also (unless this has changed) get a lump sum for going off benefits and into employment.
You will be better off, honestly, just maybe have some stress setting things up if they are slow/lose your paperwork etc :rolleyes:
When I started out I minded my nephew for 16 hours a week for £2 an hour!! ..and I was still better off. Plus I was spared the horror of signing on and being treated like something someone had stepped in :D
You should still be able to claim for housing benefit too, if you get it now: they count 1/3 of the total you have coming in as wages and do a complicated sum, depending on any other income, how many children you have, what you get from tax credits etc...
Hope it works out smoothly for you...
And CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :thumbsup:

bws,
Wendy :)

dizzycatmojo
16-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the support and great advice :)