PDA

View Full Version : Foundation Phase Toolkit

manjay
14-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Just thought I would share this ESTYN document (http://www.estyn.gov.uk/ThematicReports/Estyn_Play_and_Active_Learning_Toolkit_september_2 009.pdf). I know technically you don't need to follow the Foundation Phase unless you are accredited to deliver Early Years Education but it is considered good practice to have knowledge of what your mindees are doing in funded settings they attend. I think this document gives some nice examples of how to make simple observations on the children you care for.

Heaven Scent
14-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Thank you so much for that - I just have one comment and that is if its a tool-kit for Foundation Stage WHY were so many examples of activities from classes of 6 & 7 year olds???? They are not part of the Foundation Stage :panic: :panic: :panic: It appears to me that its a back handed way of pushing children again giving examples of things that older children can do and then see if we can get younger ones to do them too - and the implication that we are failing if we don't - can't we just let them develop at their own pace that is what the EYFS is supposed to be about.:panic: :panic:

tulip0803
14-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Thank you so much for that - I just have one comment and that is if its a tool-kit for Foundation Stage WHY were so many examples of activities from classes of 6 & 7 year olds???? They are not part of the Foundation Stage :panic: :panic: :panic: It appears to me that its a back handed way of pushing children again giving examples of things that older children can do and then see if we can get younger ones to do them too - and the implication that we are failing if we don't - can't we just let them develop at their own pace that is what the EYFS is supposed to be about.:panic: :panic:

Foundation Phase is the Welsh education thingy for ages 3-7 not to be confused with the EYFS in England:thumbsup:

Polly2
15-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks for that hun
I will probably try to get a hard copy like you said, I find things easier to process if they are in my hands :D

aly
15-03-2010, 09:34 AM
fab thank you
:thumbsup:

manjay
15-03-2010, 05:07 PM

:laughing: :rolleyes: I even put this in the Welsh part of the forum so you wouldn't get mixed up;)

sunflower
15-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Thank you... it looks very interesting :thumbsup:

Tippy Toes
15-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Thank you :)

Heaven Scent
15-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Oh forgive my silly mistake - so if I just look at the ideas for the under 6's then they are relevant for EYFS as it were - Thank you again it is a lovely document.

itsCM
16-04-2010, 12:54 PM
ooo thank you muchly... very useful
:jump for joy:

alihatherall
12-05-2010, 12:53 PM
That's great, thank you! I'm currently doing the ICP distance learning (not through NCMA here in Wales!) and everything has to be linked to the EYFS, I was just having a look round to compare the 2 as far as planning and observations are concerned and this document will definitely help plan activities.

Haddock
04-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Polly2 - Did you manage to get a hard-copy? I have just emailed to ask for one and was wondering what the chances were of getting one!

manjay
04-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Polly2 - Did you manage to get a hard-copy? I have just emailed to ask for one and was wondering what the chances were of getting one!

My hard copy was sent out within a few days of me requesting it:thumbsup:

Polly2
03-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Yes I got a copy!! I have just asked for this one also http://wales.gov.uk/docs/dcells/publications/091125outdoorlearninghandbooken.pdf

manjay
03-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Yes I got a copy!! I have just asked for this one also http://wales.gov.uk/docs/dcells/publications/091125outdoorlearninghandbooken.pdf

I've got that one. Definitely worth having:thumbsup: