PDA

View Full Version : Partnership with husband

ManicMum
14-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Hello there

I decided to get my husband registered as we have been approached to do a Saturday but due to numbers would need extra adult. Also, there have been times when needed to be somewhere else so if he was registered he could take over (mainly when he gets back from work), so I could go to doctors for example. Numbers during week are covered by 1 adult.

Care Commission (Scotland) said we would need to be a partnership. However, would this then mean he would have to declare half the earnings from all the childminding as his? It is as though we are now partners in a business instead of me as a sole trader? Or can he just declare half the Saturday earnings as that is all I really need him for? Or is there a way he can be in the partnership but I just declare the earnings as mine?

I am just thinking it's not going to be worth it if he has to pay tax on half the earnings as he is already employed.

Many thanks!:)

TheBTeam
14-03-2010, 03:09 PM
In England I was not advised this in a long conversation I had with the inland revenue about splitting profits between dh and I, there is a thread on here somewhere about partnerships, which if i remember correctly seems to be more a case of non married people working together just to iron out any potential problems there may be in responsibilities and apportioning of stuff.

These are not issues likely to arrive in a married couple working together, although the ir advised me to do is have a basis to work out what % to give each person, ie 50/50 you are so entwined in care that you cant split it, or a % of expenses each based on the % of the whole that each person earnt if children can clearly be split between you.

I would speak with someone there, and would just put down the amount that he was responsible for earning by having he extra child and the direct expenses for them, but am assuming that unless you employ him he will have to register as self employed and pay class 2 nino each week.

ManicMum
14-03-2010, 05:13 PM
oh, flaming heck sounds more complicated than initially thought. He is already employed so would he be paying class 2 anyway? No, that's class 1 isn't it for employees? Hmm, making him an assistant would be no better either would it? So if he has to pay class 2 contributions plus tax for 1 day's work a week, hardly seems worth it does it? He already does a tax return anyway for another reason so wouldn't be much more hassle from that point of view, jsut the financial aspect.

thanks for your comments!