PDA

View Full Version : Qualifications to become accredited

Inzy
14-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Hello, I am thinking of trying to become an accredited childminder, but I have some trouble with the qualifications that I could use for this. Could I do a course in child/developmental psychology instead of child work? I looked around on Google and came across NCFE qualifications. Are those valid?

My problem with the childwork ones is that I already hold a Dutch qualification. I have done an in depth course on working with young children already -pretty sure it's comparable to NVQ 3 or 4, so most NVQ's that do the same wouldn't add much to my knowledge, plus I really really don't fancy doing it all over again. I did child and developmental psychology too, as part of that course, but it interested me and I would like to do that again -preferably even more in depth. I think it would be much more useful for me and my childminding business too.

I am still trying to get my Dutch qualification compared to British one, but it seems that may be a problem, as it is hard to track down. It was an adult learning course, rather personalized, for people who already worked in childcare, and it is no longer available as such in the Netherlands. The institution where I did it no longer exists, and I have no idea where to start looking to dig up the information -if it is still there.

Pipsqueak
14-03-2010, 09:14 AM
To become accredited you have to be on a CCF networks. Speak to your DO to see if there is one in your area

Inzy
15-03-2010, 05:15 AM
Yes, I know about the network -have already spoken to them, but however nice they are, they aren't much help in this. The lady who came over to go through everything with me is very knowledgeable, but only about the standard things. So the only courses she could think of were the NVQ 3 and 4 childwork ones that I am not very keen on.
It may be that those are the only courses that will allow me to become accredited -but that's what I'd like to know.

Does anyone know what qualifications would be accepted to become accredited?

Cammie Doodle
15-03-2010, 08:00 AM
I have just got my folder out and read my Accreditation Assessment Report and it says Standard 1- I need to have a Good or Outstanding Osted report
and have a level 3 Qualification in Childcare and education.
Hope this helps?

Pipsqueak
15-03-2010, 08:07 AM
Yes, I know about the network -have already spoken to them, but however nice they are, they aren't much help in this. The lady who came over to go through everything with me is very knowledgeable, but only about the standard things. So the only courses she could think of were the NVQ 3 and 4 childwork ones that I am not very keen on.
It may be that those are the only courses that will allow me to become accredited -but that's what I'd like to know.

Does anyone know what qualifications would be accepted to become accredited?

There is no 'qualification' that allows you to become accredited - you have to join a CCF network - if there is one in your area. so if there isn't one in your area you cannot become accredited unfortunately.

There is criteria to meet before you are accepted to be accredited - for instance having a certain grading (good or outstanding), holding a level 3 or above etc.

Our network was not a CCF but we worked to CCF criteria but we still could not become accredited. We have now gone full CCF (children come first) and should be up and runnning by september with some of us being accredited.

Have a look on the NCMA website for more information

Tink
15-03-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm just in the process of becoming accredited.

My network coordinator told me I needed;

A good Ofsted report
NVQ level 3
A good knowledge of the EYFS
and experience of working with 3-4 year olds.

She told me it's different in some areas so check with your coordinator if you have one.

Inzy
15-03-2010, 10:16 AM
I already have joined the network, and I meet all of the criteria (a few things I still have to tidy up a bit), except the qualification requirement.

As I wrote, I do hold a Dutch qualification that should be comparable to U.K. NVQ 3 or 4. However, changes are that I cannot get it validated here due to bureaucratic issues.

If I can't, which courses would there be to fulfill that requirement of having an NVQ 3 (or 4) qualification? I don't want to do the most common childwork ones (like CACHE or Early Years Childcare), because they are virtually the same as what I have already done!

Does anyone know of an alternative, something a bit different, that would still be suitable to fulfill the level requirement? My network coordinator couldn't think of anything, and to be honest, she didn't seem all that interested either.:(

singlewiththree
15-03-2010, 11:18 AM
How about doing a level 4 foundation degree?

Pipsqueak
15-03-2010, 12:07 PM
I already have joined the network, and I meet all of the criteria (a few things I still have to tidy up a bit), except the qualification requirement.

As I wrote, I do hold a Dutch qualification that should be comparable to U.K. NVQ 3 or 4. However, changes are that I cannot get it validated here due to bureaucratic issues.

If I can't, which courses would there be to fulfill that requirement of having an NVQ 3 (or 4) qualification? I don't want to do the most common childwork ones (like CACHE or Early Years Childcare), because they are virtually the same as what I have already done!

Does anyone know of an alternative, something a bit different, that would still be suitable to fulfill the level requirement? My network coordinator couldn't think of anything, and to be honest, she didn't seem all that interested either.:(

sorry if I appear to be pedantic but is the 'network' a CCF approved one?

It gets confusing sometimes - that we go to network meetings - which is what teh LA or CDO arrange perhaps on a monthly basis so you can meet with other colleagues and be given news and views and then you have the CCF networks and other specific type networks such as: community minder networks.

Just to explain further: I am a community network childminder and I go along to area network meetings which is open to all minders in the area. Neither of these 'networks' are CCF nor can you become accredited from them
The community network works to CCF criteria and we have recently been approved to become a full CCF network and for those of us who would like to apply to become accredited - we can. Although those who don't want to become accredited don't have to and just remain solely on the community network of minders.

Your CDO or the co-ordinator of the network should be telling you:
a) is it a CCF network - therefore what you need to do to become approved
b) what your next steps are

It sounds to me they either are full on the network or its not a full CCF network. Perhaps certain areas do things differently but I know there is specific criteria for a full CCF network that the LA and minders have to meet.

If you have your level 3 then you could go on to do the Foundation Degree - year 1 is level 4, year 2 is level 5 and then your 3rd year degree is level 6 and your options of going onto EYPs etc..... but again you normally have to produce evidence of qualifications to get on the course.

If you can't get hold of your qualifications then the only thing I could suggest is doing the NVQ 3 over here? I can't think of anything else that is going to equivelent to the level 3.

hello kitty
15-03-2010, 01:26 PM
I have just completed a level 3 NVQ in the Early Years Foundation Stage (specific to the EYFS not childcare) I already hold an NVQ3 in Children's Care and Learning and this is entirely different. Mention this to your Development Worker. :D

Inzy
19-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the replies. I still can't make up my mind though. After digging through many Dutch organizations I now have a little more hope that my old qualification can be validated in the U.K., so I'm trying that first.

About the level 4 foundation degree: I googled it a bit, and it seems it's a pretty long (4 years) course. Is that right, or did I look up the wrong course, or would that be the entire thing, with levels 5 and 6 included? Also, can it be done as a distance learning course? Going to classes is not an option for me. *edit* Ah, I just found a thread on this forum about this course at the OU! That nicely answers my distance learning question *

'hello kitty' I also looked up the level 3 NVQ in the Early Years Foundation Stage that you suggested. It seemed okay, but I got the impression that it's more a top up course if you already have a valid qualification? I'll mention it anyway, see what the coordinator says.

I also found a very interesting course in developmental psychology, but it seems that it would not lead to an accepted qualification.. *sigh*.

Pipsqueak
19-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the replies. I still can't make up my mind though. After digging through many Dutch organizations I now have a little more hope that my old qualification can be validated in the U.K., so I'm trying that first.

About the level 4 foundation degree: I googled it a bit, and it seems it's a pretty long (4 years) course. Is that right, or did I look up the wrong course, or would that be the entire thing, with levels 5 and 6 included? Also, can it be done as a distance learning course? Going to classes is not an option for me. *edit* Ah, I just found a thread on this forum about this course at the OU! That nicely answers my distance learning question *

'hello kitty' I also looked up the level 3 NVQ in the Early Years Foundation Stage that you suggested. It seemed okay, but I got the impression that it's more a top up course if you already have a valid qualification? I'll mention it anyway, see what the coordinator says.

I also found a very interesting course in developmental psychology, but it seems that it would not lead to an accepted qualification.. *sigh*.

Hopefully you will be able to retrieve your qualification from your home country.:thumbsup:

I am second year Foundation Degree and I have done it part time in 2yrs and there are lots of ladies (and gents) on here who have done it the OU route so you will find lots of advice and stuff from them. 4yrs to do a level 4:panic: - looks like they perhaps put the wrong info in lol!

Paxo123
19-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Resurrecting this old thread as it seems to be the only on about Accredited Childminders.

My wife who is accredited got this message from her Development officer....

As from September ‘Accreditation’ has been superseded by new government policy around Free Entitlement. This decision has come from the top and local authorities have no choice but to follow suit.

The two year old funding will be merging with the Free Entitlement so therefore it will be Free Entitlement for 2-5 year olds, however the two year old part still has a different criteria and funding rate, the admin procedure will be the same such as one headcount. In order to access the two year old part you will need to have ‘Good’ or ‘Outstanding’, however we have been told that you can access the 3-4 year old part is you have ‘Requires Improvement’ or above.

So from Sept there will be no Accredited Childminders.

sarah707
19-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Different LAs are currently saying different things - but we know from DfE that the rules are changing :thumbsup::D