PDA

View Full Version : Blockage in bathroom - any suggestions?

Cazz
10-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Yesterday the bath water emptied very slowly and when the tap was turned on the washbasin it started making a bubbling noise in the bath plughole.

This afternoon we turned on the washbasin water and some really dirty disgusting water has come up the bath plughole and is in the bath not draining away :(

We have put the equivalent of 2 bottles (it was 100% free) of Mr Muscle sink/drain cleaner and also used a plunger but it has made no difference - there's even more water in the bath now and we can't get rid of it.

Dh tried to unscrew the washbasin at the back but couldn't loosen it enough (diy is not his strong point anyway!).

Anyone got any suggestions what else we could try? I know I may need to phone a plumber but I doubt I'll get one very quick and I have Ofsted coming on Friday - typical!!

The bathroom is not registered so hopefully she won't want to go in there, but in any case I need my bath to be functional again!!

little miss chatterbox
10-03-2010, 11:00 PM
try a couple of kettles of boiling water.

I've not used it in the bath/sink but I have in the toilet - it dissolved all the toilet paper in seconds!

Hope it helps xx

sonia ann
11-03-2010, 07:10 AM
have you checked the drains outside:panic: when this happened with our kitchen sink (along with smell in the bathroom) I lifted the drain covers outside:panic: :panic: :panic: ......It was like an episode of the "Life of Grime".......**** 2" from the top!!!.......luckily a well known Drain Company came to our rescue:)

christine e
11-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Buy soda crystals from supermarket or wilkos (less than £1) pour into plug until level with bath then pour boiling water until they are dissolved then leave for half an hour then give a good rinse!

Here is a link about soda crystals

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/household-products/dri-pak-soda-crystals-1/1048520/

Good idea to put some down the drains every now and again to keep them clear.

Hope you get sorted

Cx

charleyfarley
11-03-2010, 07:22 AM
We've had the same sort of problem over the last couple of weeks but it was an outside drain. Every time we thought we'd solved it, it blocked again. In the end I put some caustic soda (you need to be very careful with this) down the drain over the weekend and it seems to have worked.

Hope you sort it out soon :thumbsup:

Carol xx

RedDragon
11-03-2010, 07:25 AM
Where we live if your property was built before 1937 you are entitled to free drain work. Is your house that old and if so just google and check that it's all over the country - I'm sure it is. Mine came out within 24 hours, with a big lorry and fixed the problem - would have cost us hundreds to fix otherwise.

caz3007
11-03-2010, 07:57 AM
We have lots of outside drain problems, but luckily my OH and our neighbour together clear them, saves lots of money. I would say you need to check your manhole cover. Also another neighbour had a similar problem to you and her drain had collaspsed in her house, but think her Buildings Insurance covered most the work

PixiePetal
11-03-2010, 08:04 AM
If you can take the silver bit from the plughole (bit that stops big things going down!) out, it could be full of hair and yuck - our shower cubicle plug hole was full of hair after 6 months. Not sure how, DH opened it :blush:

I use soda crystals every 3-6 months - in washing machine too - best thing for scum :eek:

Pudding Girl
11-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Have you checked with your neighbours in case anyone else has same prob, if so yes could well be drain.

I would say to not start unscrewing bits n bobs, you may inadvertantly make it worse and in the end cost you more £££!

Try the soda crystals and very hot water and if that doesn't work, call a plumber.

Cazz
11-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions but things have worsened.

We now have water coming through the kitchen ceiling onto electrics - see my thread saying urgent advice please if you want to know more!

Looks like I'm closing tomorrow (and was due to have my Ofsted inspection as well :angry: )

ajs
11-03-2010, 10:36 AM
sorry haven't read all replies yet but caustic soda will do the trick
you can only buy it from a hardware store or a proper diy store but it is exactly what you need