PDA

View Full Version : Varied Hours-NCMA advice

samw
11-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Just thought I would bob a note on to say that I have spoken to NCMA today regarding a child I have for varied hours. Her mum is a nurse so therefore I dont have her the same hours each day or week. NCMA have advised that there is no need to enter any contracted hours as long as in the additional notes, you can explain that the child will attend varied hours each week but give an estimate of the number of hours the child will be with you when your do look after them?!

I only have her from about 7.45am to 9.00am and then occasionally from 3pm to 4pm but this can be 3 days a week down to 1 day a week depending on mums shifts.

Just thought this might help someone may face the same situation at some point.

Sam x

Polly2
11-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Thats great Sam

Thanks I am in this situation and have done it right thank goodness!!

hollyx

angeldelight
11-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks Sam

That is good advice for some of the new ones so thanks for sharing

Angel xx

susi513
17-12-2007, 03:08 PM
I recommend you include in your contract:
- the earliest start time and latest collect time that they can book. If your contract is too vague you might yourself in breach of your contract decining a request for a 5 start am or a 10pm finish, for example.

- a minimum weekly fee in case the parent doesn't book any hours - my first shift worker (a nurse) was certain she would need 4 days a week, but child attended no more than 2 a week.

- an agreed day or date by which the parent will notify you of which hours are required. I had 1/2 fees for reserved time and full fees for booked time. So contract said if they didn't tell me which hours they didn't need by the agreed date they agree to pay full fees for the entire reserved period.
I also have stated that I will not charge 2 families for the same place - if they've told me I'm not needed and I take on someone else (eg, if another cm is off sick or on hol) then only the child attending will be charged. So incentive to give me as much notice as they can. Make it clear this only applies if you're full ie, they're not being charged for a place thats no longer availalble to them.

- that if they've told you you're not needed and later decide you are that you may not be available. (eg, if they've told you you're not needed til 11 am and you had no other mindees, you might have booked an mot, dental appointment or smear test etc).

Its also a good idea to make clear what the charges will be if the parent changes the days/hours they've booked. My policy is to charge full fees for the originally booked time AND the newly booked time as the number of hours always varied from week to week. If the parent always has the same number of hours each week then you might be content to charge for 20 hours, regardless of how many times the parent has requested to change which days/hours are needed.

Schnakes
17-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Hi! Im a newbie - first reply to a post!! I put my details on the newbie board a couple of days ago but I think its dissapeared...or Ive forgotten where it is?!! Could be either! Great website btw!!! Love it already!

So...down to business...Can I ask how you charge for people who dont use set hours? The reason I ask is that I have a family starting after Christmas that are doing at least 3 days a week, either a 6am start or 7am. If it was a under 5 I would just charge them any time, but as they are 7&8 years old, I dont usually charge for a "space". Any tips?

Sorry for hijacking the original point of the thread btw!

Schnakes x

nat1664
17-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Im in the same boat, my mindees mum is also a nurse and ive just put down the most regular days that I have him and then put in the notes that mum is on shift work so hours will change....hope thats right...too late if not I supose.

Nat x

fionamal
17-12-2007, 07:46 PM
The law in Scoltand must be different as I got my knuckles wrapped for doing that. I had a parent who was on shift work and it varied over 3 days per week but in a 3 weekly cylce and was told that I couldnt just have on the contract that it would be 3 days per week upto 25 hours per week. I had to make out a new contract every week that it changed.

angeldelight
18-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Schnakes

Is this what you are looking for here it is in the " Hello" section

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=641

Angel xx

Schnakes
18-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Yes - it mysteriously appeared again last night after I posted my last message so I dont know....must be all these kids...they're driving me mad I tells ya...maaad!!!;)

Sx