PDA

View Full Version : Alternative garden flooring ideas needed

gigglinggoblin
10-03-2010, 12:36 PM
I have a really small garden, it has a path, a tree and a bit of grass. In summer its great, I can get out the sand pit, water stuff, tiny slide etc. So I like to be able to use it. Unfortunately my cats also like it and cat poo is wrecking it. Not only does it make a mess of the grass, I also dont like kids playing out knowing it has been there (obviously I clean it up first but I still dont like the idea). Add to this in winter it turns to just mud and I think I need something new. But what? I dont want concrete or decking and dh may resist (as it will be him doing the work!).

I have had a quick google and have seen outdoor carpet and rubber playground tiles which both look like they might work. Has anyone else got unusual flooring in their garden? Or has anyone tried the carpet? Thought it might be best to get the info before I broach the subject!

TheBTeam
10-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I have a really small garden, it has a path, a tree and a bit of grass. In summer its great, I can get out the sand pit, water stuff, tiny slide etc. So I like to be able to use it. Unfortunately my cats also like it and cat poo is wrecking it. Not only does it make a mess of the grass, I also dont like kids playing out knowing it has been there (obviously I clean it up first but I still dont like the idea). Add to this in winter it turns to just mud and I think I need something new. But what? I dont want concrete or decking and dh may resist (as it will be him doing the work!).

I have had a quick google and have seen outdoor carpet and rubber playground tiles which both look like they might work. Has anyone else got unusual flooring in their garden? Or has anyone tried the carpet? Thought it might be best to get the info before I broach the subject!

I once looked into the rubberised safety flooring and remember it being horribly expensive, but i can not remember now how it compared to the fake grass that i did get a few years later, which also wasnt cheap but is fantastic especially in a small garden it makes it much more usable. Today we have had outside water play and all stayed clean and no mud insight!

gigglinggoblin
10-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Does the fake grass feel nice to sit on? I mentioned that to dh before we put new grass down and he said he didnt like the idea but I dont think he has ever seen any for real, I would be willing to give it a try. Also what is it on top of and is it easy to clean (in case the cats like it)?

TheBTeam
10-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Feels fine, a lot of the companies send out samples as there are a variety of grades and lengths and colours.

I have not had a cat poo on it and we do get other peoples cats come and poo on our front garden so not sure if it is cos they dont like it!

It is laid on a prepared base which if i remember was self setting cement covered with sand and has a wood baton edge and it is pretty thick rubberised backing so you would not have any feel of what is underneath or a clue that it had a wooden baton edging, the newer varieties of the grass are not like the old astroturfs and this does not have a sand infill.

Before i bought it i tested one of the samples with a variety of things like paint etc to make sure that it washed out and it did, the only thing we have to be careful of is how much contact it has with chlorinated water from a big paddling pool, we have not tried ours yet, rubbish weather the last summer!

gigglinggoblin
10-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Thats brilliant, thanks so much! I will have a look round for some samples and see how they feel, I am desperate to use the garden this summer, I am sure it will be sunny!

TheBTeam
10-03-2010, 01:16 PM
We have used our garden all winter and for a high part of the year the little ones dont even put their shoes on!:laughing:

Carol M
10-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I think I am going to get NOMOW fake grass. Looks good in the brochure.
Anyone got it?
Carol :)

TheBTeam
10-03-2010, 07:48 PM
I think I am going to get NOMOW fake grass. Looks good in the brochure.
Anyone got it?
Carol :)

We have 'asgoodasgrass' fake grass, guess it is similar/same just different supplier.

Karaza
15-04-2010, 09:41 PM
We have these http://www.elc.co.uk/toy/recreation-mat-x-12/ we are using them for the fourth year now. We have weed stop mat underneath and just pressure wash them when looking grubby.

sandy64
16-04-2010, 09:11 AM
We have these http://www.elc.co.uk/toy/recreation-mat-x-12/ we are using them for the fourth year now. We have weed stop mat underneath and just pressure wash them when looking grubby.

hi do you keep these down all the time?do they move when playing on as i have paveing stones and was thinking of half false grass and then need somethink else for sand area.

Karaza
17-04-2010, 04:42 PM
We keep them down all year but learnt quite quickly to keep the textured side up as the other slide is slippery if it has rained. They have blown up occasionally normally only one or two but because we have the weed stop underneath they are easy to lay back down as no mud etc. :clapping:

Lincsminder
17-04-2010, 05:07 PM
I have just had the nomow grass fitted, I went for the clasic luxury one as it just looked and felt so much better. I had samples sent from as good as grass and the one which was the same price as mine was no where near as good quality and just looked likes plastic.
I would always suggest you get samples and dont just go with how they look in the brouchures.

Mouse
17-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Karaza, do you stick the mats down at all? I really need to do something with my grassed area & like the look of those.

Also, what's the weed stop matting that you use under them?

Can the children use the ride on toys etc without the mats ripping?

Karaza
19-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi no I don't stick them down as they stay in place pretty well without being stuck. They have not been damaged at all either by climbing frame or wheeled toys. Weed stop is a fabric like this http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10278350&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=weed&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1271672064957&isSearch=true do not buy a plastic weed stop as they slide and are not as good.

Mouse
19-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi no I don't stick them down as they stay in place pretty well without being stuck. They have not been damaged at all either by climbing frame or wheeled toys. Weed stop is a fabric like this http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10278350&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=weed&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1271672064957&isSearch=true do not buy a plastic weed stop as they slide and are not as good.

Thanks for that. I think it sounds like a good option for the space I have.

Just one more question, did you prepare the ground at all under the fabric? Does it need to be levelled first?

I was thinking of mowing the grass as short as I could, putting the fabric down then laying the mats on top. Does that sound reasonable?

Karaza
19-04-2010, 01:13 PM
no did nothing to prepare ground our garden is uneven but not able to get it level due to space and money but it has never been a problem. :clapping:

Mouse
19-04-2010, 01:17 PM
no did nothing to prepare ground our garden is uneven but not able to get it level due to space and money but it has never been a problem. :clapping:

That's fab!

I've already got some of the EC mats, so won't need too many more.

Sounds like I've found a project for next weekend. I'll let you know how it goes :thumbsup:

Karaza
27-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Hi mouse how did you get on?