PDA

View Full Version : 1st Day, Oh Boy!!!!

daytimedolly
09-03-2010, 06:30 AM
Hi,
Hope Im posting in the right place, sorry if Im not, bit bleary eyed :-)

First day actually looking after children yesterday. I have a 19 month daughter of my own, Im looking after a 9 month old full time (good natured tho but normal demanding baby) plus a 2 year old for a few hours

Ive got to admit, I didnt enjoy my first day :blush:
My daughter teething plus cold, the double buggy I bought got stuck in my tiny car, and the hood broke off whch I now cant get back on, made a right hash of co-ordinating the babies when coming back into the house. I STUPIDLY didnt do the weekly shop at the weekend so now hve to do it with them. Lack of sleep as daughter not well.
Does it get better???? :blush:

I cant even comtemplate paperwork at the mo, altho Ive the childminding matters manager coming over today to support.

Do you ladies have any tips on organisation/time management????? It sounds a simple thing but to a newbie its all just a mad rush to keep the children happy at this stage.

Sorry to have run on

caz3007
09-03-2010, 06:34 AM
You need to give yourself time to work out a routine. Shop online is a huge tip, the £5ish it costs for delivery is well worth the time and stress and so nice to sit in front of the tv doing your shopping :)

Good luck today if you are minding

singlewiththree
09-03-2010, 06:52 AM
Organisation is a biggy, I've been doing it a year this week and its only just clicking :)

I have all the school bags/changing bag/lunch bags etc all lined up by the door by 7am each morning. I now have times when I wake my children, expect them to be dressed and breakfast is 7.45 sharp. If I get bottles with water in fridge, I have a nappy box in my kitchen with everything for nappy changes, mat in the same place etc then I feel that its less things to worry about. It will all click into place eventually :)

daytimedolly
09-03-2010, 06:59 AM
Thank you.
I guess im feeling worse because of the lack of sleep, had about 3 hours last night with ill daughter. The 9 month old will be delivered to my doorstep in 30 minutes. Im just worried im going to get behind with paperwork,whatever I should be doing? :(

Ill do the shopping on line and see how that works. I think as well my house is tiny, like a hutch ha ha and theres toys all over the place. I try to clear them but its still kinda like living in the middle of a circle of toys all the time. My car is too small now and I wish Id never bought it. The double buggy is just ridiculous in it

SimplyLucy
09-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Blimey, forget the shopping and stay in for the day. I'm sure there is something in the cupboard you can create with!

Take a deep breath and remember you can only do one thing at a time, it really won't hurt if one child is crying for 1 minute longer whilst you finish sorting another one.

You'll be fine.

miffy
09-03-2010, 07:54 AM
You'll feel much better when you've caught up with your sleep.

Just take things slowly and get to know your mindees - you don't have to try and be superwoman :)

Hope your dd is soon feeling better

Miffy xx

sonia ann
09-03-2010, 08:02 AM
forget about the paperwork and planning for a while.....get to know your mindees and what they like doing, the rest will follow in time........good luck today:)

Leanne59
09-03-2010, 08:26 AM
I have no advice just thought id sent you a big hug! :D Hope you get a good night sleep.

sandy64
09-03-2010, 08:33 AM
hi hun hope your second is easier for you,try not to do to much enjoy sitting with lo and watching what they enjoy and can do this will help you plan later, i wouldnt take them shopping today use what you have try and enjoy your day without making more work when your own is better and youve had some sleep it will fall into place remember we are all here for you.:)

Zoomie
09-03-2010, 08:41 AM
:group hug:

I echo about forgetting about the paperwork. Try and russle up something from the cupboards to save you from going to the shop and just take care of the basics today, just let LOs free play and take care of your DD.

Also bear in mind that you can close, if you feel your LO is too poorly. Might give you a chance to catch up on a bit of sleep if you could nap at the same time (obviously with no mindees around).

estrelas
10-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Forget paper work :thumbsup:
Its only your first week, I wouldn't worry about it just yet x
everything will fall into place

Hope your daughters better soon xx

ORKSIE
10-03-2010, 12:58 PM
forget about the paperwork and planning for a while.....get to know your mindees and what they like doing, the rest will follow in time........good luck today:)

I second this:thumbsup:

TheBTeam
10-03-2010, 01:26 PM
I would get a takeaway to avoid the need to go shopping and to celebrate the start of my new career (takeaways are compulsory in our house to celebrate a new starter! mind you any excuse!), this will give you time tonight to investigate online food shopping and get an order for delivery probably either tomorrow or the next day, (i get one weekly as i can not bear shopping and simply do not have the time to do more than a quick run to local shops once in a blue moon for a quick top up).

I would just make brief notes in a daily diary to remind you of things you have picked up about the mindee for now and complete the daily diary for the parents which you can then use to remind yourself and your attendance register.

You can then use your diary as a starting point to start the learning journey in a couple of weeks when you have had a chance to take some photos of the little ones doing things and your accounts can follow one evening when you have caught up on your sleep and got a routine going.

If all of the children sleep at the same time, use this time to do your accounts, put on a food order, do the learning journeys or just have a well earned rest.

It really will get easier, you will relax about it all and this will make a huge difference.

LOOPYLISA
10-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Hope you are ok x :thumbsup: