PDA

View Full Version : Settling in trouble

sfox2003
08-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi

Hoping someone with some experience can help me. Ive only been registered a month. I had a 7 month old baby start a week ago. Baby is lovely, but they cry a lot. Not sure if its something Im doing wrong, if I pick her up she stops. With my own Ive always tried to avoid carrying them round all the time. Esp now Im a childminder, I do not have time to carry a child all day. It wont do any good. Should I be carrying her at the moment to settle her in or would you start as you mean to go on?

Also my own child who is 1, keeps touching baby & this makes baby cry even more. Baby seems to dislike my child very much, any time they go near baby she screams. My own child things baby is a doll. They keep putting their head on baby & trying to touch them.

I do put baby in the buggy sometimes as a 'safe place' for them. But it doesnt seem to help.

Its only been a week, so I expect things will get better. I just wanted some guidance on whether I should be doing things differently.

I also made the mistake of telling babys mum about the crying & I think Ive worried her. Its only been a week - I should have given it longer. I just mentioned it in passing to her, probably shouldnt have done.

Thanks for your help.

Pipsqueak
08-03-2010, 01:55 PM
oh bless you - its sounds like normal settling in to me! Nothing you, your daughter or baby is doing is 'wrong'. you are all just taking some time to get to know each other and getting used to each other.
Sounds like your daughter is fascinated with baby, sounds like baby isn't used to other children - yet.

Try not to worry to much, continue as you mean to go on, lots of time together - playing and interacting between all three of you.

Settling in can take weeks but it should get easier as you all begin to gel

TheBTeam
08-03-2010, 02:53 PM
I would not constantly hold the baby, you need to carry on as normal and really just as you would have done with your own child, if you need to move away or put them down etc then they will settle better, it is just an age/stage thing and is probably one of the more difficult ages to settle for some babies, but as long as you dont constantly give in to the crying then it should settle.

I had a little one that used to cry almost to the point of sick when i moved away but it stopped when he became more mobile and became able to get to more that he was interested in.

My friend cares for a little one who she had from a similar age though who she now has looked after for 11 months and this child has not settled and only stops crying when she is holding him, i think the difference in my case to hers is that in my case the parents didnt constantly hold the little one, in her case they do, he is not even allowed to look like he might cry before they pick him up.

I would find out what the parents do and how he behaves with them, this may help you to deal with it and also to know if things will change.