PDA

View Full Version : Im thinking of becoming a childminder

rachel1
11-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Hi everyone, :)

I have being looking at all your messages and you all sound very helpful people. Hoping you can help me too!

I am attending a briefing on Friday to discuss becoming a childminder its just im only 19, and have no children of my own, it has always being my dream to work with children and when I moved out with my partner Adam I decided I was going to go for it.
Do you think I am too young?
Like I said it has always being my dream to work with children and hoping when/if I do become a childminder parents will see my love for the job and not see my young age being a problem. What do you think?

I have a BTEC National Diploma in health Care and have worked in nurseries and schools, which I really enjoyed.

I am currently working as a customer services administrator and to put it bluntly can’t stand the job, lol.

Please reply, also any advice from anyone would be appreciated.

Cheers

LittleMissSparkles
11-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Hi Rachael

Go for it, Age shouldnt come into it, if you are capable of caring for children and parents can see that then it will not matter, There's someone on here who is 21 I think, I dont see why it should be a problem anyway.

Good Luck xxx

Polly2
11-12-2007, 02:38 PM
age shouldn't be a problem

its love of kids that counts and it sounds like you have that :)

see how you feel after the briefing session, but I would say you go for it

take care
holly

Alak123
11-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Hi Rachel

I think its a great idea at your age you will have loads of energy and young outlook.

I qualified as a nanny at your age and got a 17 year career out of it and then decided to become a childminder this year and apart from some teething problems I have not looked back. I also have no children of my own so I can give lots of attention and time to other people's.

Lets us know how you get on.:)

Alak xx

Minnie Minx
11-12-2007, 03:09 PM
i agree with the others, age doesn't matter and you've got experience of working with children which is a big bonus. Good luck with your briefing and let us know how you get on

xx

buildingblocks
11-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Age doesn't come into it. Some days it can be the best job in the world other days it stinks (can you tell its a bad day lol). Seriously though it really is the best job in the world. As you read posts on here you will see the only down side tends to be hassle with the parents.

The only thing I would say about your age is make sure the paretns understand you mean business right from the beginning. I have a friend and she is in her early 20's and tends to attract a lot of problems which she puts down to the parents not taking her seriously. (Mind you I am 43 and I feel the same).

So long as you go into it with your eyes wide open , realise it is extremely hard work but also has far more pros then cons, and don't believe a word they say in the briefing session (sorry couldn't resist that one).

The best feeling in the word is when a mindee comes to your house flings open the door after a few days of not seeing you and announces at the top of his voice "I've missed you".

angeldelight
11-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Some great advice from everyone

Just wanted to say my daughter was 19 when she registered and it has been good and no different from me

So good luck hope it all goes well

Let us know

Angel xx

littlesprogs
11-12-2007, 05:01 PM
hiya,

I am only 20 and i am currently registering when i had my ofsted inspection i had no children and i have never worked with children in any way. I am now expecting my own baby but ofsted dont know that yet.

The only contact i have with children in taking out my niece and nephews but i've never been with them on my own my hubby has always been there too. This did not bother ofsted either.

I'm sure you'll be a great childminder!

Good luck with it all

Louise x

Banana
11-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Agree with everything thats been said.

Your age doesnt matter as long as you have the ability to be a professional. If its something that you want to do then go for it!

Good luck to you and let us know when you start the regeistration process!!

xxxx

emler
11-12-2007, 06:42 PM
As above!

Good luck with everything

Emler x

samw
11-12-2007, 08:25 PM
I agree with everyone else!

Good Luck

Sam x

Spangles
12-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Go for it Rachel!

If it's what you really want to do then just do it - your age won't be a problem - Ofsted won't have a problem with it. Someone with your dedication, experience and qualifications would be an asset to someone looking for a good childminder.

charleyfarley
12-12-2007, 12:51 AM
I would say follow you heart.

I wanted to work with children from when I was at school.

I finally suceeded eight years ago at the age of 33

I never stopped wanting a childminding career so if I was you I'd do it sooner rather than later

Good luck though

Carol xx

rachel1
12-12-2007, 12:39 PM
AWWWW thanks everyone!

Uve all really cheered me up, Iv being off sick from work this week so iv being looking at all your questions and answers,
U r all very helpful people.

Really looking forward to the briefing on friday now,
Buildingblocks you said not to believe a word they say, whats it like in the briefing?

Thank you everyone for all your support and advice, it really has helped me!

Cheers
xxxxx

buildingblocks
12-12-2007, 12:52 PM
They tend to tell you what an easy job it is and how there is plenty of work. It is very hard work (but very rewarding) and a the moment they seem to be recruiting more and more childminders in our area - they are given x amount of money I think for every one they recruit. I am slightly out of sorts with our CIS though so possibly not the best person to ask lol.

rachel1
13-12-2007, 12:14 PM
I'll bear that in mind for tomorrow buildingblocks,
Thanks.
:)

angeldelight
13-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Good luck tomorrow

Let us know how it goes

Angel xx

rachel1
14-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Well iv being to briefing today and now know its definatly the job for me!

Really excited, iv filled out all my forms to send off to start the courses i need to do.

Thanks everyone for all your support and advice. :jump for joy:

Banana
14-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Good for you Rachel!!

xxx

Blaze
14-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Welcome to a world of madness!:laughing:
Tasha:)