PDA

View Full Version : UK child missing in PAkistan - double standrds in reporting??

Pudding Girl
05-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Another UK child goes missing abroad, why isn't there mass media coverage of this child as there was Maddie McCann? Oh right, he is Pakistani, I'm sure that has nothing to do with it...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8550945.stm

Hebs
05-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Another UK child goes missing abroad, why isn't there mass media coverage of this child as there was Maddie McCann? Oh right, he is Pakistani, I'm sure that has nothing to do with it...

i thought it was odd, and he was kidnapped from home with family around not left alone :panic:

FizzysFriends
05-03-2010, 01:19 PM
I think its more to do with the fact they had no idea where Maddie was, they know where this lad is and are in contact with his captors and therefore can't say too much just incase.

Mouse
05-03-2010, 01:23 PM

I think there has been a lot of coverage of the abduction. It's certainly been on every news programme I've seen. I don't think race has anything to do with it & I think that is a rather sweeping statement.

The huge media coverage surrounding Madeline McCann didn't start until a while after she had disappeared. It wasn't immediately picked up by the media.

And the two cases are quite different. In the case of this little boy, it is known he has been abducted & people are being arrested, so you can't really compare the two stories.

beccas
05-03-2010, 01:24 PM
sorry to say this but these type of things happen all the time in pakistan only 2 weeks ago in mirpur (a main city) a husband and pregnant wife were killed but they were chopped up in to pieces then laid back on the bed together with al the pieces in the right place, the woman was 7 months pregnant. They also had a 4 year son that was taken, they were there a week before anyone told the police and apparantly noone saw or heard anything.

The couple were alive when most of the parts were chopped off!!:eek:

Romuour has it that it was her brother who did it, the couple had run off from there partners to be together and lived out of wedlock (this is sooooo wrong) so the brother had been sent to reclaim the son and kill both the man and woman. they have yet to be arrested

I know this as it is one of my relatives house that they were renting in pakistan. and he has been arrested when he went last week to lock it all up and he was told unless they find they killers he will be charge with murder as it is his house.:eek:

But unfortunalty thats the rules over there.

AND MONEY DEF TALKS

Dare4Distance
05-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Yep, different situation. There had to be a lot of publicity when Madeline went missing because she was exactly that, missing. This child isn't. He's been taken and they know where he is/who he's with. The public can't really help much.

beccas
05-03-2010, 01:28 PM
theres a update
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Pakistan-Kidnapped-British-Boy-Sahil-Saeed-Hopes-Of-Freedom-As-Police-Question-Suspect/Article/201003115567571?f=rss

kindredspirits
05-03-2010, 06:08 PM
they're totally different cases - this child has been kidnapped and ransom demanded as opposed to just apparently just off the face of the earth. this is the problem with britain today - positive discrimination too many people are too quick to judge something that they consider people acting negatively about because of their ethnicity as opposed to looking at basic facts.

LOOPYLISA
05-03-2010, 06:10 PM
they're totally different cases - this child has been kidnapped and ransom demanded as opposed to just apparently just off the face of the earth. this is the problem with britain today - positive discrimination too many people are too quick to judge something that they consider people acting negatively about because of their ethnicity as opposed to looking at basic facts.

:thumbsup:

~Chelle~
05-03-2010, 06:16 PM
This is a totally different case entirely.

There was a policeman on GMTV this morning who said that in some of these cases, of kidnapping's in pakistan, it can be a fmily member who has organsed the kidnapping but that he could'nt comment on that at the moment as it could jeopardise the investigation.

He said that kidnapping in pakistan is a multi million pound business and kidnappings there are all too frequent.

The police cant comment much on the case as the child has been kidnapped for a ransom and they dont want anything to happen to him.

It is a totally different case to Madeline Mccann, her parents do not even know if she is still alive!

Blackhorse
05-03-2010, 06:24 PM
I agree with the above...

but where double standards come into play with me is when I think of all the other kids that go missing every year...and nobody gets to hear about it...not to this extend anyways....:(