PDA

View Full Version : SSSSSHHHHHH dont tell him!!!!

Wendy Woo
04-03-2010, 05:41 PM
LOL

I need some help from anyone who visits or lives local to london.
Hubbys 30th on 27th of this month and i have booked a nite in london as he is always sayin he would like to go out in the evenin down there for food and a wander!! We have always been durin the day

I am wonderin wot is the best way to get doewn there.
I have looked at trains and they r much cheaper from hatfield so that is one option but my dad and friend say that drivin down to one of the tube stations like croxley green would be good to!!

I was wonderin wot u think?? Im not sure how far these place are so dont no how much diesel it would cost but to drive to hatfeild and get on the train will cost about £50 plus parkin!!!

Plus does anyone no of any good places to eat that wont cost the earth???

I also plan to book a night flight on the eye as a frind says that is lovely at nite time.

OOOOO cant wait really excited but DONT TELL HIM AS ITS A SECRET :laughing: lol not that u will x x

LOOPYLISA
04-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Sounds fab :thumbsup:

Not sure hun, only been to london with hubs a handful of times and thats on the train, did stay overnight but can't for the life of me remember where :rolleyes: bit too much plonk i expect :D

I am looking at the eye at night for hubs birthday :D

Wendy Woo
04-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Sounds fab :thumbsup:

Not sure hun, only been to london with hubs a handful of times and thats on the train, did stay overnight but can't for the life of me remember where :rolleyes: bit too much plonk i expect :D

I am looking at the eye at night for hubs birthday :D

I have discovered that last minute.com is cheaper by £4 but it only says u can go anytime after 3pm whereas the actual london eye sight has time slots every 30 mins so i think im gonna book for 8pm with them so at tleast i no we wont be waitin around too long

wendywu
04-03-2010, 06:09 PM
The Hard Rock is very lively and not too expensive and is nice for a birthday.

There is a Nandos and a Wgamamas along the south bank as well as some pubs that serve food. There is a new Planet Hollywood opened, but i dont know what that is like. The Rainforest Cafe is fun but expensive and the food is not as good as the Hard Rock.

Funny because we are going to London for the nights of 26th and 27th as DH birthday is the 28th.

I have only just started looking at hotels this morning, where are you staying?

Bushpig
04-03-2010, 06:22 PM
A good place right off is the South Bank. There is Vinopolis (wine tasting from around the world), St Francis Drake's ship (replica), a ruin of an old palace, Clink Prison, Borough Market, Southwark Cathedral all literally within 5 mins from each other (so easily done in a small amount of time if you had the time!)... there are pebbled lanes and it's terribly quaint and enjoyable.. and is on the banks of the Thames.

There are a couple really good pubs there too... and a stunningly designed Nando's restaurant. The Tate Modern is a few more mins away. There is easy access via the Northern Line.

For something a bit fancier (where I had a birthday a couple of years ago) is The Criterion, on Piccadilly Circus. Marco Pierre White is the chef... but what interested me far more are the STUNNING byzantine ceilings and decor... you'd LOVE it!!!

http://www.criterionrestaurant.com/

(I won't tell him, don't worry! ;))

Bushpig
04-03-2010, 06:24 PM
If you like to dance the night away... another nice place is Sugar Reef... which has a definite party feel! This is just off Piccadilly Circus too.

All depends on what your budget is... and if you want a cosy romantic meal, or a party :)

geordiebunny
04-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Another idea is to stay next to heathrow, i stayed in the ibis a couple of years ago and left car for free the next day all day in their carpark as it was free parking with the room and it was a 10 min bus ride to heathrow then jump on tube.
Enjoy if only my hubby was as nice as you are to sort something nice for my 30th next jan.

wendywu
04-03-2010, 08:41 PM
[

For something a bit fancier (where I had a birthday a couple of years ago) is The Criterion, on Piccadilly Circus. Marco Pierre White is the chef... but what interested me far more are the STUNNING byzantine ceilings and decor... you'd LOVE it!!!

http://www.criterionrestaurant.com/

(I won't tell him, don't worry! ;))[/QUOTE]

The dining room at the Ritz is stunning as well, but expensive.

The Cafe at the Crypt at St Martins is good for a coffee and cake, it is in the Vaults unerneath the church.

Londons oldest restaurant is Rumours at Covent Garden, but again it is not cheap.

The Original London Walks are good value for £5.00, the Jack The Ripper one is great.

Wendy Woo
04-03-2010, 09:13 PM

There is a Nandos and a Wgamamas along the south bank as well as some pubs that serve food. There is a new Planet Hollywood opened, but i dont know what that is like. The Rainforest Cafe is fun but expensive and the food is not as good as the Hard Rock.

Funny because we are going to London for the nights of 26th and 27th as DH birthday is the 28th.

we r stayin at the novotel on vauxhal bridge. it seemed the nicest of the few i choose to look at. prob could have found somewhere better but decided just to pick a few and decide from then as id be there for ages if not!!!
found it on last minute.com

wendywu
04-03-2010, 09:16 PM
It will be the Wendys wow London :thumbsup:

Twinkles
04-03-2010, 09:22 PM
It will be the Wendys wow London :thumbsup:

Doesn't Paul have a DVD called that ?? :laughing:

wendywu
04-03-2010, 09:50 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bushpig
04-03-2010, 10:50 PM
[
]

The dining room at the Ritz is stunning as well, but expensive.

The Cafe at the Crypt at St Martins is good for a coffee and cake, it is in the Vaults unerneath the church.

Londons oldest restaurant is Rumours at Covent Garden, but again it is not cheap.

The Original London Walks are good value for £5.00, the Jack The Ripper one is great.

Mmmmm Wendy that brings back good memories.. I often used to go with colleagues to The Cafe at the Crypt at St Martins for lunch :)

Blaze
05-03-2010, 07:11 AM

Gareth is 30 on the 30th! LOL

Cammie Doodle
05-03-2010, 12:54 PM
A lot of places do pre /after theatre meals . One of my favourites was Albannach in Trafalgar Square our son used to be a Chef there, and spent 2 wonderful New Years Eve there :clapping: I have only been twice since he left, but enjoyed its food and location. I have just booked tickets for the London Eye for my future daughter in laws birthday in March , I hope she likes it . I love visiting London

Mollymop
05-03-2010, 12:59 PM
We always drive to London and park up. You can usually find free parking spaces on Saturday and sundays if you spend an hour or more driving around and around looking:laughing:
You live near me don't you hun, well it costs us about £30 in disel (sp?) to get there and back (and that includes all the driving around and around like you end up doing in London:rolleyes: )- when we have to pay to park up which costs about £20 at the most for the evening. So not £50 is not too bad if you don't mind driving in London which we always do.

Gherkin
05-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Meal wise depends what you are looking for:

Wagamamas is great for noodles etc but it is not a romantic setting as you sit at long tables with other people - food is brilliant and is cooked to order so as it is ready it is delivered which can mean one of you eating and one of you not for a while.

You could go to a TGI's as you have never been to one:eek: . Cocktails to start and then food.

Pizza on the Park at Hyde Park Corner is good and they often have jazz in the basement.

There are some decent gastro pubs around.

I want to go to Wahaca for Mexican - it is Thomasina Miers restaurants, she won masterchef a few years ago. - also you do not have to book.

Joe Allens in Covent Garden is good.

Hard Rock is good but I always remember having to queue up to get in (same with Wagamamas).

Never liked Planet Hollywood - trying to be a Hard Rock and failing.

Chinatown has some nice places but also some really iffy ones.

Kettners is good.

I think of some more before I meet you later at the pub.:jump for joy:

Nix
05-03-2010, 03:42 PM
We tend to drive to Acton (on the North Circular) park in a residential road, which is free, and take the tube into London. Work ok for us but if it was me on my own I would probably just take the train to Waterloo then the underground!

Have a fab time whatever you decide to do!:D

Wendy Woo
05-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Thanx everyone
Loads of ideas here but shock horror im still undecided!!!!!!
LOL
I will sort it out next wk i think!!!!!;) :rolleyes:

Keep ur suggestions comin tho as they r all helpin lots x x :laughing: