PDA

View Full Version : home schooling

Hebs
04-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Who does it? How do you manage childminding at the same time?
And where can I get advice?

mama2three
04-03-2010, 12:17 PM
not usually one to advertise other forums , and i dont go on any more - but on bounty there is a member called jami ( i think) who homeschools and always has lots of advice. maybe a start? hope thats ok pauline?

Pauline
04-03-2010, 02:28 PM
That's fine Kath, no problem :)

Hebs
04-03-2010, 09:25 PM
thanks Blue for all your advice, will let you know what school says xx

jumpinjen
04-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Hi,

I juggle the two, but i only mind three days for that reason, have home edded from the start so no issues with de-registering. if a child comes out of school, you need to write a letter to them saying that you are de-registering her/him from school, otherwise you will get court letters etc for not sending to school! You don't have to give reasons for your choice either. There are organistaions called HEAS and EO(more political) that can give you advice on starting off and point you towards local yahoo groups or forums where people post meetings, get togethers, trips and activities,

Hugs, Jenni

balloon
04-03-2010, 09:40 PM
You're welcome Hebs

Hi to Jenny too, for some reason didn't know you wee a fellow homeschooler!

jumpinjen
04-03-2010, 09:54 PM
You're welcome Hebs

Hi to Jenny too, for some reason didn't know you wee a fellow homeschooler!

Hiya!!

Thanks, only been official since we didn't send her to school in September but she never went to nursery either so I suppose it's been for a while, just never felt confident about it before now so kept quieter!!!!

Hugs, Jen:)

kindredspirits
05-03-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm planning on home educating George but he's only just turned 3 - still not doing badly at the minute seeing he can read, count to 100 forwards and backwards and does adding up with me - plus he has a weirdly accurate sense of direction (i think he gets that from his dad!) the other day we drove home from town which is about a 20 minute drive - got to the round about where we would usually turn to go home but were dropping my hubby's dd home so went a different way and george said 'huh, why aren't we going home this way?' lol

Hebs
05-03-2010, 09:27 AM
got the school in a flap now, as i asked if i wanted to deregister mark how much notice would i have to give, she said well we'd need the name of the school he'd be going to i said he wouldn't, she was like erm... you home schooling?
i said i'm thinking about it, to which she replied they'd need to inform ofsted, as they'd need to see my lesson plans and how i will deliver the national curriclum etc etc

i just laughed........ she's getting back to me :D

balloon
05-03-2010, 04:57 PM
They don't need to inform ofsted, they need to inform the LEA, makes me do mad when these people give out misinformation...

The LEA will want to have a chat with you about what you're going to teach and how (doesn't have to be nat curr but does have to be a full time education) but you dont need lesson plans YET. If Ed Balls gets his way this could all change though so keep yourself informed.

jumpinjen
05-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Rubbish.... Ofsted have no jurisdiction in your home and you don't have to do the nat curriculum!

jen x

jumpinjen
05-03-2010, 05:49 PM
I meant rubbish what the school said, not runnish what blue moon said!! i think we were posting simultaneously!!!

jen:blush: