PDA

View Full Version : Weaning my DD of her milk

Tink
04-03-2010, 09:46 AM
I've started weaning my DD 20months off her milk.

She now doesn't have any in the day only before bed. I'm trying so hard to stop her having her bottle and has juice/water in her cup.

It's a bit of a struggle as it's all new to her but am I doing the right thing?

Just after some reassurance really xx

mamasheshe
04-03-2010, 10:05 AM
you are doing the right thing but my dd aged two and a half (YES TWO AND A HALF):D still has a bottle of milk at bedtime ! If we can't find the bottle it's not the end of the world she will take a beaker of milk, but she loves her bottle she doesn't have a dummy comfort blanket or anything so i think whats the harm? i go in and make sure she's still not sucking on it empty because that's not brilliant for their teeth :blush: :blush:

oldest DD stopped having a bottle at two but she was mature enough to explain that baby's have bottles big girls don't.:D

Tink
04-03-2010, 10:16 AM
My DD doesn't have a blanket or dummy either but won't go to bed without her milk.
I figured it was a bonus if she didn't have it in the day and just had it for bed.

She has gone through a stage where she was drinking milk all day and not eating meals. So i've stopped day time milk and she only has it at bedtime.

I figured it was the right thing to do

Spangles
04-03-2010, 10:25 AM
You are doing the right thing.

If they have too much milk during the day they don't eat enough as they are too full and so won't be getting all the nutrients and vitamins that they need so don't worry, you're doing what they are suggesting.

Tink
04-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Thank you. It makes me feel like i'm stupid sometimes. I've worked in childcare for over 10 years and don't have a clue about weaning my own daughter isn't it silly.

Thank you so much for the reassurance I feel much better now xxx

Roseolivia
04-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Rose still has milk morning and night. It's the first thing she asks for when she wakes and when she's tired on the night she asks as well. She doesn't have it in a bottle anymore, she has a non spill cup. She's 3.