PDA

View Full Version : I'm really sad

Tink
01-03-2010, 04:28 PM
We've had a pet hamster for 3 years and he's on his last legs, he's been in my DH'S office ever since we bought him.

He has stopped eating and is on his side.

The worst thing is my DD idolizes him, she calls him Harry and I can't bare to tell her he's poorly or when the time comes that he's died.

I'm distraught I know it's only a pet but we've had him 3 years, he's older than my DD

I just feel really sad but trying to stay strong.

Thanks for listening xxx

LOOPYLISA
01-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Awww bless you,

A hamster is a hamster and still your pet, hes done well to live to 3 :thumbsup:

I know shes young but i would tell her hes gone to heaven, my stepson had hamsters and each time they died (the cat got them as he kept leaving the cage open ) :panic: his mum would go and buy a new one he must have had 6, he just thought it was the same one :angry:

jo f
01-03-2010, 04:47 PM
awww what a shame, hope everythin is ok its not a nice time.
I had to have my dog put to sleep 3 years ago, she was old with a heart condition and cateracts. My DD was learning to walk at the time and overballanced onto her and she snapped at her luckally no damage done. For the dog it must have come from no where as she couldn't see too well. I made the difficult decision to have her put to sleep, couldn't take the chance of it happening again and was about to start minding. She was old but it didn't make it easy at all, she was such a good dog we all loved her to bits. What made it worse was that after explaining to our vets they could only take her in the next day- I was a right state having to give her her last meal etc. and taking her was awful.

On a lighter note I had a goldfish when I was little which had a black bit on its back, anyway a neighbour was lookin after it whilst we were on holiday and yes it died! She hunted to find one with a black bit on just like mine but couldn't get one. When i got back from hol they told me my fish had had a wash and i believed them!!!!!

I think children learn a lot from pets about caring for them, responsibility, relationships and of course death, kids are very surprising when it comes to that how they handle it.

Thinkin of u xxx

Inga
01-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Thinking of you. No matter how small your pet or how long you have had it, it still causes heartache when they go. We had to have our wee dog put to sleep two weeks ago. She was fifteen and a half and was struggling on. Tough decisions have to be made at times and yes it hurts particularly when the pet is well loved. Ours was six weeks old when we got her and she was brought up with my minded children - I think in fact she thought she was a child too and had to get snacks and fed when the minded kids got theirs!

Tink
02-03-2010, 07:57 AM
He has sadly passed away:( we told our DD 20months old and she said "bye Harry" I just cried bless her xxx

Ripeberry
02-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Brings back memories of my favourite hamster when I was 12yrs old. He was lovely, never bit me, cuddled under my chin and one day I was watching him as he played in his cage, his favourite thing at the time was to hang off the top bars and go accross the cage.
Then he fell, right onto the plastic house he had (with a ridge roof) and he broke his back right in front of my eyes and died :(
I was distraught for days after and kept shouting his name...sad I know, but he had a burial in the garden and I made him a little headstone out of a piece of slate and it is still there to this day in my parents garden.
That was over 25yrs ago.

Tink
02-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Ah bless you. I just seemed to get really attached to him an I know my DD did as she shouted his name and is doing this morning.

Me and DH can't decide weather to get another one or not?

I don't know if it will be the same, he was a right little character

Bushpig
02-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Awwww thinking of you all at this horrible time... my little hamster Chewy is my lil furchild and I'll be distraught when she goes... it is amazing how close one gets to one's pets.

Big hug for you all xxx

Twinkles
02-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Pets do have a special place in our hearts no matter how big or small they are. Very sad for you.

sarah707
02-03-2010, 07:23 PM
I cried buckets when dd's hamster died :(

Hugs xx