PDA

View Full Version : very early stages of becominng a childminder...

lupin
01-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Hi all, I am off to my childminding pre registration session in April.. but Im soo eager and excited about becoming a childminder, that I am finding it hard to just sit and wait.

Is there anything I can do in these early stages to get prepared for childminding ??
Or anything I can look iinto that maybe you wished you had known about before you started in the early days etc

Could I start now on just simply making the house baby proof etc
or just getting in loads of stationary, ready for the mountains of paperwork I will have to get through

I duno, Im just soo eager to get started and the next 2 months are just going to drag I bet, but I love to be kept busy and planning etc :o

any advice, tips, good luck... anything will be appreciated :D

RachelG
01-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Hi, I dont think there is much to do before you start your course. I was lucky and started mine 2months after my initial briefing meeting.

You could perhaps resource multi-cultural books and toys? x

Annie_T
01-03-2010, 09:49 PM
you can baby proof house,
buy toys, books, dress up items, posters etc.
prepare garden (cover holes in fence, cover open drains over etc
do policies, risk assesments,
buy craft items etc
make/order business cards.
spread word to friends you are becoming a cm.

there is quite a lot really when look at it.

keep all reciepts

francinejayne
01-03-2010, 10:42 PM
I did loads early on, I spent hours and days and weeks on the internet researching things, and then I discovered this forum. I see no harm in starting to put together some of your policies etc, I started mine early and have then amended them as I've continued with the training and registration process and have learnt new things. The only downside for me doing all of this has been I've found the ICP course quite boring as I've not really learnt much as I'd learnt it all before! But I'm newly registered and now do feel ready to start my new career, so I say go for it!

gigglinggoblin
01-03-2010, 11:02 PM
You might find planning fun, obviously until you know who you are caring for you cant be too specific but you can do a yearly plan incorporating all the festivals and events (this week we have St Davids day and Dr Seuss's birthday, next week I am doing Mothers day stuff), have a few ideas ready, get searching all the craft sites etc.

Also have a look at http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/policies/downloads.html start putting together your policies - this should be easy enough but it does drag a bit!

Risk assessments also drag so if you start now you will eliminate lots of stress before Ofsted come round.

Bargain hunt for toys on car boot sales!

And keep browsing here, there is so much to learn reading about what others are up to :)

shelly2012
02-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Hi im exactly like u just want to get started. I have got all the saftey things in order, toys etc

I wonder what types of prams I shld get a single or double.

x

Minstrel
02-03-2010, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't go off out buying very large pieces of equipment unless you 100% know you will need them. You may not get a baby needing a pushchair to start with or even for quite a while.

Another thing to consider.... if you live in rented accomodation, you will need written permission from the landlord to childmind in their home.

Good luck with it all xxx