PDA

View Full Version : My St. David's Day planning for Monday!

jumpinjen
27-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Hi,

I have posted about it here... it makes for a nice little day of varied activities to keep younga nd old entertained... I'm looking forwards to it!

http://little-blossoms-childminding.blogspot.com/2010/02/st-davids-day-planning.html

Jenni:)

sarah707
27-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Some lovely ideas there!

Thank you for sharing :D

jelly15
27-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Diolch Jenni

Tink
27-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Diolch Jenni

Oooh look at you smarty pants.:D

Were making daffodils something simple for the Lo's they don't really understand but it's fun and something different for us to do.

jelly15
27-02-2010, 05:58 PM
I only have LOs but we are painting empty kitchen rolls half green and half white and snipping the edges into fringes to make leeks.

I am going to dress them in traditional Welsh costumes left over from my own DSs and my neices, that is if they don't come already in costume. We will also have cawl for lunch followed by Welsh cakes.

I love Jenni's idea of the love spoons, will make a note to do that next year.

Hwyl fawr ;)

Jelly

jumpinjen
27-02-2010, 06:18 PM
I only have LOs but we are painting empty kitchen rolls half green and half white and snipping the edges into fringes to make leeks.

Hwyl fawr ;)

Jelly

Now who's being a smarty pants??!!!!

Dewi's grandfather makes the best welsh cakes in West Wales.... I will call for the recipe, that will be fun to do too!

I love the leeks idea.... I only found out recently that leeks are a symbol because the welsh soldiers pinned them on their uniforms so that they were different to the similar-looking Englsih soldier's uniforms!!! My mind started wondering what would have become a symbol if they'd had a glut of some other sort of food that day??!!

Jenni:D

Dragonfly
27-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Brillant leek idea Jelly:thumbsup:

terrydoo73
27-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Nursery Education Plus magazine for March has a very good feature on St David's Day and wondered if anyone else is following it?

For Knowledge and Understanding there is a craft idea to do a Welsh monk using a cardboard tube
For Creative Development there is a craft idea to make daffodils and discussing what shape they are or designing Welsh Flag
For Problem Solving, Reasoning and Numeracy there is a lovely idea of creating a dragon themed counting book
For Communication, Language and Literacy - showing children Welsh castles and sing tradition nursery rhymes or fairy tales featuring castles, queens and kings, then encourage children to use flags, thrones, plastic shields, crowns, cloaks and tiaras and swords as dressing up
For Personal, Social and Emotional Development - take the children to see local churches with interesting features
For Physical Development - help children to make leek and vegetable soup

If anyone wants the full detail on these I can email it to you - I have copied it for all my support group members who are meeting on Monday morning!

loocyloo
28-02-2010, 09:04 AM
thanks everyone! great ideas there!

manjay
28-02-2010, 10:39 AM
I reckon my Welsh cakes are the best in North Wales:D . We will be making lots of those tomorrow:thumbsup:

We have a very traditional 'Dydd Dewi Sant' in the small village we live in. All the school children go dressed in traditional costume and we have a fab concert at the school after lunch. Definitely one of my favourite celebrations.

Twinkles
28-02-2010, 10:48 AM
diolch yn fawr :D

Twinkles
28-02-2010, 10:50 AM
I reckon my Welsh cakes are the best in North Wales:D . We will be making lots of those tomorrow:thumbsup:
We have a very traditional 'Dydd Dewi Sant' in the small village we live in. All the school children go dressed in traditional costume and we have a fab concert at the school after lunch. Definitely one of my favourite celebrations.

Will you share the recipe ? Or at least pop on in an envelope to me , I'm sure it will be fine :D