PDA

View Full Version : Second thoughts over everything!!!

clio0602
26-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Hiya I've got in touch with someone through childcare.co.uk a potential 5mth old and arranged for them to come for a chat sat 6th march.

Now I'm not sure of anything! Will they like my house? Not in the best condition although clean and safe it does need touch ups all over. Would that put them off? Should I buy more paint and flooring?

Have no idea what I'm going to say to them. Probably start stuttering and get myself all flustered!

Was so excited about starting and feel I'm falling at the first hurdle! What if they don't like me :panic:

Sorry for the rant I'd just really like to get this baby and stressing sooo much :(

xxx

Twinkles
26-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Deep breath...............and just be yourself.

Have lots of things for them to look at , policies , portfolio etc.

Have a mat or baby seat for baby and some toys.

Most people don't care about the house they just want someone to keep their baby safe and happy and cuddled.

Good luck let us know how it goes :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
26-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Its typical human nature to doubt yourself. Twinks has given some fab advice and I can't add to it

Believe in yourself xxx

singlewiththree
27-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Your not alone I felt exactly the same and when I have a bad day with mindees I still feel like that, its just human nature :)

mum22
27-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Great advice given already, be yourself, relax, and good luck:thumbsup:

Merry-Minder
27-02-2010, 10:48 AM
I bet you will be great! After the first couple of minutes you will find you will settle and I find it becomes like a relaxed chat - professional but relaxed.

Once youve done one it does get easier, and I found my confidence has shot up since childminding.

Good luck.xxx

mamasheshe
27-02-2010, 01:53 PM
i had my first mummy come round this week and it was fine my house isn't perfect we rent so we can't do exactly what we like to it unfortunately. i don't know it i got the job yet but it was fine nothing to worry about had my policy's portfolio out and told her what they where but didn't go through them tried to stay child focus reassured her which safety equipment i'd have if her little boy came to me. answered any questions, asked a bit about his routine, i was really worried as i thought she'd be judging me and my setting but i said this to a friend and she said when she was looking for childcare it was more "would i be happy for this person to look after my child"

good luck xxxxxxx

francinejayne
28-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Aw I've got my first parent coming on Friday, so I know how you're feeling. I'm trying to stay relaxed about it, I'm going to spend the next few days making sure everything's filed for her to look at if she wants to, and then I'll be up all night on Thursday scrubbing everything in my house
Fingers crossed for us both!

clio0602
28-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks need to just relax I think. Just got a busy wk ahead as I'm on a course tue and wed. I've bought paint getting a carpet cleaner and hope they don't notice the little jobs that need doing. x

Good luck for fri francine x

Tinglesnark
28-02-2010, 03:22 PM
ahhh ya know what? i've been the same! at the 1st 3 interviews i was bricking it and swore blind no one would like me and i was horrendous at blabbering a load of rubbish at them!
although i tried so hard, those 1st 3 decided not to choose me for reasons ranging from their child didnt like younger children, the parent felt safer using a nursery as she didnt believe that cm's in general were qualified enough (***?!) and another that took one look at my dog and walked back out again (it clearly states on my website that i have a dog and cat)
then i struck gold! a lady came to see me the other day and i made the same mistakes - i jibber jabbered and forgot key things including her contact details :blush: but she txt me back (thankfully i remembered to hand her a card!) and asked me if i would have her baby. i then was able to email her with all the extra details that i forgot to mention.

the point is that you may go through a few interviews until you get it right but that is just experience, you will get to "the right family" eventually!
chin up! you will be fab!

i have now got myself a check list of everything i need to tell the parents from my opening times to my deposit all the way through to the fact that i will need them to provide car seats for their lo's until i am able to aford to buy some and put them through as resources. i intend to go through that next time....

doh - why didnt i do that before??

:thumbsup:

onwards and upwards!

:thumbsup:

jumpinjen
28-02-2010, 03:27 PM
I planned what i would do/say first for just the first minute, I decided i would welcome them, then ask if they would like to look round first or have a chat, if they wanted to look round.... show them (pointing out safety features/nice things like a cuddly toy in the cot just for their baby etc), then finish up in the lounge where some toys out for baby, give them my folder, ask them if they would like a drink..... go make drink whilst they looked through folder, then make sure you sit and play with baby whilst you talk to them as they will want to see you doing that. Tell them you are nervous and it's your first time.... it makes you human and they are prob nervous too.... it is daunting coming to someone's house to 'look at them'!!!!

I did that twice, and for the next two parents I was much more experienced, had been minding a little while and was much more relaxed about it so it doesn't take long!!!! Asking questions of them about their baby, likes and dislikes helps to start the conversation if you are struggling, everyone likes to talk about their baby!!

Good luck, you'll be fine though!!

jenni:)