PDA

View Full Version : Supernanny - Practical Parenting

Tink
26-02-2010, 01:54 PM
I was watching this last night, which I had recorded and was shocked.

Did anyone see it?

I was shocked that so many young girls saw themselves as 2 sizes bigger than they actually were and wanted to be 2 sizes smaller:eek:

I also felt very sorry for the 10 years old boy who's mum was feeding him to keep him happy, bless him, it really upset me, he had no friends and only his mum who gave him love through food.

Pipsqueak
26-02-2010, 01:56 PM
No didn't see it, tbh I avoid supernanny and similar like the plague

sweets
26-02-2010, 01:56 PM
no sorry didnt watch it as can't stand the woman! :D

Spangles
26-02-2010, 01:58 PM
I didn't know it was on or I would have watched it. The findings are very worrying.

I like Jo Frost, I really like her attitude and the way she handles things. I think she's fab!!!!

Tink
26-02-2010, 01:58 PM
I know what you both mean, I don't agree with some of her parenting skills.
But I do think she knows a lot to help many parents who are in the same situation.

jellytot
26-02-2010, 01:59 PM
I watched it, the little boy was very sad, I really did feel for him.

As for the girls, it really made me stop and think how much of my moaning and unhappyness about myself has rubbed off on my DD

LOOPYLISA
26-02-2010, 02:08 PM
I didn't know it was on or I would have watched it. The findings are very worrying.

I like Jo Frost, I really like her attitude and the way she handles things. I think she's fab!!!!

I like her too :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
26-02-2010, 02:16 PM
i think she has self taught herself a lot over the years of being on telly and I think that perhaps she has reached out to many families who have taken on board her advice via the telly. I just find some her techniques a bit questionable as a childcare professional

it/her is all a very clever marketing ploy/spin

just out of interest those of you that have ANY qualifications, did you know you are more qualified than Jo!

Tink
26-02-2010, 02:21 PM
i think she has self taught herself a lot over the years of being on telly and I think that perhaps she has reached out to many families who have taken on board her advice via the telly. I just find some her techniques a bit questionable as a childcare professional

it/her is all a very clever marketing ploy/spin

just out of interest those of you that have ANY qualifications, did you know you are more qualified than Jo!

Is she not qualified?:eek:

sweets
26-02-2010, 02:31 PM
she has no childcare qualifications at all:(

i know a lot of our job is self taught and down to experience, but i think that someone who goes on tv that people watch and some may take guidance from should be highly qualified. A lot of her practices are questionable and ive seen her on programmes being rough and manhandling children in order to make them sit on a bit of a square of carpet! i'm sorry but in my opinion that is wrong.

Pipsqueak
26-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Is she not qualified?:eek:

nope not one teeny tiny bit

Tink
26-02-2010, 04:17 PM
nope not one teeny tiny bit

I didn't know that:eek:

I've got an NVQ level 3 and over 10 years experience i'm shocked.

She is very well self taught and knows her stuff:thumbsup:

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
26-02-2010, 04:27 PM
She may not have an professional qualifications but she does have years and years of experience! sometimes years of hands on experience can be better then someone who has completed loads of courses.

I watched the show and did feel very sorry for the little boy whos mum was over feeding him, it would be interesting if they went back to these families in 6 months time to see how they have got on with the help jo gave them.

Blackhorse
26-02-2010, 06:28 PM
well she doesnt say she has a qualification so there is no reason why we should be surprised she hasnt...and to be honest I think sometimes qualifications are overrated. I am not against getting a qualification but just because someone has doesnt mean anything

I like her and havent had any issues with anything I have seen her do on tv before...

need to find last nights program on demand somwhere!

Dragonfly
26-02-2010, 07:27 PM
I agree with Dippydoughnut and Blackhorse. Some times people that are qualified arent very practical and before i get any horrid replies I didnt mean it in a horrid way:eek: I just mean you cant beat expierence.

Pipsqueak
26-02-2010, 09:07 PM
I totally agree that experience counts for a lot and that goes for all of us, (but i do believe that qualifications count for a lot - for those that actually bother to implement what they learn) but its some of her methods that I don't particuarly like - she manhandles the children quite roughly at times, the segregation of children (ie the naughty corner/step/mat), the way she insists a child has to look into her(parents) eyes when they are being told, the forced sincere apology etc. Sometimes even the way she lays into parents - adults is a bit questionable.
I know sometimes that extreme measures are called for and people should remember that this afterall is a tv show, edited to make things more dramatic, sensational and gripping to the audience.
I just worries me that some parents out there may take some of these methods to extremes and thats ok because supernanny does it. It makes me wonder just how responsible these type of shows really are. Also it never really revisits and sees just exactly if these families have been truely transformed to see if these techniques are working/success rates. Perhaps i am just cynical eh?

i am currently struggling with my 12 yr old but I would never put him on tv for it either. I realise that as a parent i need to change MY tactics and parenting skills.

I notice the american shows of supernanny and nanny911 have disclaimers on saying that some scenes are for show purposes.

Yes Jo has 20yrs experience and she was chosen to front the show after applying (and wow hasn't it made her comfortably off) and its all good viewing (makes you realise that your own kids are angels and that you aren't such a bad parent after all! (is that the cynic in my again). I do think that there are some really valid and useful ideas on the show and i do not totally condemn it. 20yrs experience does not make some of the things right though, a glut of qualifications do not make you superchildcarer either - its all about balance isn't it.

Penelope Leachs opinions on the supernanny shows

http://www.naturalparenting.com.au/flex/articles/7905/super-nanny-jo-frost-revolutionary-or-rubbish.cfm

Blackhorse
26-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Hi Pip,

Can I ask you why you think it is not ok for the child to look into your eyes when you are talking to them? (I really value your opinion it is not a cheeky question).
I do find htat if I tell my dd off I want her to look at me and not somewhere else..so that I am coming down to her level (as supernanny says) and I speak to her eye to eye...iyswim.

Thanks...!!:)

Pipsqueak
26-02-2010, 09:24 PM
some children/people aren't comfortable with eye contact at all. I am not much of an eye contact person as it makes me really uncomfy (don;t know why) and i know that can make me come across as disrespectful or not listening/paying attention/insincere.
This bit is hard to explain and describe so bear with me - I do ask (not insist) that my children (mindees too) look at me when i am talking to them or explaining to - but I respect the fact that they don't have to hold that eye contact - especially at the close proximity that Jo gets in their faces. when they are younger I may tilt (cup) their faces towards me for a few seconds to ensure i have their attention but I will not enforce eye contact.

In some cultures its considered disrespectful for a child (person) to hold eye contact.

and oh bless you Nicole, I wouldn't think its a cheeky question, I am :blush: that you value my opinion. thank you for such a lovely compliment.
like I say, its only my opinions and its each to their own, I am not trying to trash supernanny or anyone elses beliefs or techniques. I don't profess to get things right or that i am perfect (far from it - ask my 12yr old at the moment lol)

polly0
26-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Pipsqueak, I am gong through the same things with my 12 year old at the moment:panic: , must admit do watch supernanny, do like some of the techniques she uses, try them, not always succesfull:o . Anyway would love some advice on a 12 year old who thinks hes 18 and can do what he likes, non, no, no:censored:

The whole world revolves around him at the moment, and i do think hormones are kicking in, but one good bit of advice supernanny gives is pick your battles and i do try to think of that (usually after the event):blush:

Blackhorse
26-02-2010, 10:06 PM
thanks Pip..that was interesting to read.
I never thought of it that way..and I agree to me it feels disrespecful if you dont have eye contact..I am not saying all the time but at least have ...look at me I am talking to you ''moment''...they wont look into my eyes all the time but I do want them to know I am talking to them and pay attention.

that it feels uncomfortable..well I guess being told off for something is going to be uncomfortable to begin with...so I would have put it down to that! need to have a wee think about this now...:)

Very interesting thread this!

Pipsqueak
26-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Pipsqueak, I am gong through the same things with my 12 year old at the moment:panic: , must admit do watch supernanny, do like some of the techniques she uses, try them, not always succesfull:o . Anyway would love some advice on a 12 year old who thinks hes 18 and can do what he likes, non, no, no:censored:

The whole world revolves around him at the moment, and i do think hormones are kicking in, but one good bit of advice supernanny gives is pick your battles and i do try to think of that (usually after the event):blush:

oooh do you have my son in your house? we have had to have yet another 'chat' again tonight <BIG sigh>

honestly though - I do think some of these programmes have some excellent advice and my gripes about them are just purely my opinions.

totally agree about picking your battles though

little chickee
27-02-2010, 11:49 AM
oooh do you have my son in your house? we have had to have yet another 'chat' again tonight <BIG sigh>

honestly though - I do think some of these programmes have some excellent advice and my gripes about them are just purely my opinions.

totally agree about picking your battles though

Its got to be an age thing - my son has just turned 13 and i feel i am getting on at him all the time - i'll take on board the picking your battles!!

Mollymop
27-02-2010, 09:50 PM

Me too!

I think she is great,. When I went on my ICp course a few years ago the tutors told us they didn't recommend we watch supernanny. I had never seen the prog at that time, but have been watching it lately and I think it is great. I love it, as all the children on there are nightmares!! And.. the parents are too soft too....

Well sorry to say but I always act like Jo Frost, always have, with my own children and they are fab kids who know how to behave, yeah they misbehave sometimes but rarely and know their limits

I dislike softly softly when it comes to disiplining children - which is why my tutors thought her methods were inappropriate - :rolleyes:

I watch the programme as well - poor little man - the big 10 year old... I felt so sorry for him too, with a lazy mother like her!

Mollymop
27-02-2010, 09:55 PM

i edited:blush: :blush:

sorryx

Pipsqueak
27-02-2010, 11:30 PM
i edited:blush: :blush:

sorryx
thats ok Mop - is I doing typos again? lol

Mollymop
01-03-2010, 07:59 AM
thats ok Mop - is I doing typos again? lol

No it was me:blush: - i took it the wrong way what you said ... I thought you meant ANY as in - "cos u might not have any at all - but then I realised that u mean Any as in Any at all!!:eek: :laughing:

Pipsqueak
01-03-2010, 08:12 AM
No it was me:blush: - i took it the wrong way what you said ... I thought you meant ANY as in - "cos u might not have any at all - but then I realised that u mean Any as in Any at all!!:eek: :laughing:

lol now I am getting confuzzled but that doesn't take much