PDA

View Full Version : Majorca or Menorca?

MrsT333
26-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi all
Just wondering whether to brave a sun holiday with my 3 kids this year, they are 12, 4 & 2. I'v been looking at short flight times and come up with these 2 islands. can any one recommend Majorca or Menorca?
where did u stay would u go again?
or any other ideas would be great!

many thanks

Twinkles
26-02-2010, 01:22 PM
I loathed Majorca when I went last year !

It's all English pubs and bingo :panic:

Never been to Menorca.

LOOPYLISA
26-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Not been to either sorry x

Hebs
26-02-2010, 01:26 PM
I loathed Majorca when I went last year !

It's all English pubs and bingo :panic:

Never been to Menorca.

tenerife is becoming a bit "too english" for my liking too :panic:

salou is nice :D

charleyfarley
26-02-2010, 01:26 PM
I've been to Majorca 3 times but wouldn't choose to go back after our last experience :panic: Other people we know had a great time.

Never been to Menorca

Carol xx

kindredspirits
26-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Menorca is lovely and quiet - but quite expensive as most of the food shops are owned by the same people.
Ibiza is also only 2 hour flight and is a really good alternative - better and nicer than Majorca but livelier than Menorca - if you go to Ibiza I recommend anywhere North - don't go to San Antonio its full of yobs and drunks in the summer - Es Cana is nice. I know most of the hotels in that area so if you do decide on Ibiza then i can be of more help.
Menorca does have really lovely long shallow seas but its a little cooler off season - nice in the summer months.

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
26-02-2010, 01:48 PM
I have been to majorca as a 13yr old and again with my husband when i was 23.

I really enjoyed it both times but i wouldnt go back there again as i feel that weve visited most of the island but i would recommend it!

My mum and sister and her kids have been to menorca and they said it was a lot smaller, quieter (sp) and there wasnt so much for the kids to do, but great for sitting on a sun lounger and reading a book!

It all depends on what you want to do on holiday.

Weve just been to lanzarote (4 wks ago) and we all had a great time, it was a 4 hr flight but my 2 & 3 year old coped really well with it. I packed loads of games and coloring in packs and teddies in the hand luggage!

LOOPYLISA
26-02-2010, 02:07 PM
tenerife is becoming a bit "too english" for my liking too :panic:

salou is nice :D

One good thing in Tenerife , you know what your eating, im fussy :thumbsup:

Good old english grub :D

Monkey1
26-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Been to Majorca a couple of times as a child. Been to Menorca 5 times and would go back year after year if we could afford to! We stay in Son Bou which is only about 20 mins from the airport. Great resort with loads to do, loads of entertainment including a bowling alley but it is one of the most beautiful places i have ever been to. The beach is huge!
This is the resort

http://www.menorca-net.co.uk/menorca/sonbou.php

bluestar
26-02-2010, 02:18 PM
We heve been to Majorca 5 times and are due to go back this year we always stay in Peurto Pollenca which is in the north of the Island, its beautiful unspoilt and quiet when we go in May, the beach in Formentor over the mountain can be like being on a desert island but shhhh dont tell everyone;)

LOOPYLISA
26-02-2010, 02:18 PM
We heve been to Majorca 5 times and are due to go back this year we always stay in Peurto Pollenca which is in the north of the Island, its beautiful unspoilt and quiet when we go in May, the beach in Formentor over the mountain can be like being on a desert island but shhhh dont tell everyone;)

Sounds fab :D

solly
26-02-2010, 02:24 PM
I have never beeen to either but we are off to menorcs for 2 weeks in July and really looking forward to it:)

candy cat
26-02-2010, 03:23 PM
alcudia was lovely and beaches are lovely .....although very expensive so if you go make sure you are all inclusive as cost us an absolute fortune eating out etc.

LOOPYLISA
26-02-2010, 03:33 PM
alcudia was lovely and beaches are lovely .....although very expensive so if you go make sure you are all inclusive as cost us an absolute fortune eating out etc.

Ive heard Alcudia is lovely :D

This thread has reminded me my mum has offered to have dd for a week so me a hubs can go away, think i may be looking into majorca, not far either when you don't like flying :thumbsup:

amanda1309
26-02-2010, 03:40 PM
went to Majorca in 2008 and absolutely loved it. I would def go back.
Never been to Menorca so can't compare.

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
26-02-2010, 04:20 PM

Alcudia is where we stayed when i was 13 an thebeaches were lovely and everythings in walking distance

wendywu
26-02-2010, 04:24 PM
[
QUOTE=denni70;650215]alcudia was lovely and beaches are lovely .....although very expensive so if you go make sure you are all inclusive as cost us an absolute fortune eating out etc.[/QUOTE]

This was were we stayed, although Twinks did not like it, i thought it was very nice.

Menorca and Lanzarote are also lovely :thumbsup:

But give me sunshine and a beach and a pool and im happy :D

Paws
26-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Majorca is divine! It's only Englishified in the chavvy, brit places!

We go every year, right over on the east coast - WELL away from any other Brits. It's a tiny place, full of Majorcans and Spaniards and as a family we try very, very hard to learn and speak the dialect and really make an effort. It is always appreciated. Beautiful beaches and a massive National Park right on the doorstep.

We love it so much we are planning to buy a bolt hole there.

:clapping:

Twinkles
26-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Majorca is divine! It's only Englishified in the chavvy, brit places!

We go every year, right over on the east coast - WELL away from any other Brits. It's a tiny place, full of Majorcans and Spaniards and as a family we try very, very hard to learn and speak the dialect and really make an effort. It is always appreciated. Beautiful beaches and a massive National Park right on the doorstep.

We love it so much we are planning to buy a bolt hole there.

:clapping:

I obviously went to the wrong bit !!

I have heard others say how pretty it is. We didn't see pretty :panic:

Didn't like Tenerife either :blush:

MrsT333
26-02-2010, 08:02 PM
WOW thanks everyone!!!
This is going to be hard to make a decision, but at least I can compare some of the places you have mentioned.

so far i have looked at monkeys sugestion, and that looks nice!

My dd who is 2, is so excited she went to bed wearing her sunglasses.....:laughing:

Gizmo
26-02-2010, 08:17 PM
We went to Menorca a few years ago Son Parc it was fantastic dd was 2 and there was loads for her to do, every pub or restaurant has a play area and bouncy castles for the kids to play on- all free if you have a drink or food , we also went to Lanzagrotty and really didnt like it at all nothing for kids
Dh and I went to Palma Nova - Majorca before we had kids and it put me off going back and I know there are lovely places on the island but where we stayed was right next to Magaluf and that was full of 18 - 30 so bad experience

Adiamond
28-02-2010, 09:00 PM
I have been to Majorca twice and loved it I stayed at Palma Nova and the second time in santa Ponsa,we are going back in May :clapping: :clapping: We are staying in Cabo Blanco it's in the middle of nowhere, we are staying in a resort all inclusive so everything is there around us and I don't have to move off my sun lounger :D lol!!!
We are taking our children dd 15 and ds 7 and from what I can gather there will be loads for them to do.
And only a 2 hour flight :D x x x

Paws
01-03-2010, 08:13 AM
We're going back in May too! Are you counting the weeks down as well?

:jump for joy:

kindredspirits
01-03-2010, 08:23 AM
btw, i've been pretend shopping for holidays (we can't afford to go abroad this year) and i have noticed that first choice are actually CHEAPER at the minute to go to Gran Canaria in June than to the Baelerics by about £400 - a week in Maspalmos was going to cost £775 for 2 adults and 1 child in mid june - thats a real bargain! :thumbsup:

mama2three
01-03-2010, 08:43 AM
i love santa ponsa - after 15 years of family holidays we finally found a place where there really is something for all of us. dh is quite fussy regarding entertainment etc - the beach is fantastic, parrots in the trees , loads for the kids and quiet pretty parts for me just a few minutes walk from dh's irish music and the kids bouncy castles. the spanish square has outdoor entertainment each night too.

jessiebessie where did you stay? x