PDA

View Full Version : World Book day, dress as character - help!

Pudding Girl
26-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Mindees mum has rung and asked for my help with her child's costume for World Book day (dress up as a book character) - I think she rather thinks i will do it all, I won't but happy to help and lend things from my dressing up box.

What will be quick, easy, minimal effort but also effective and right away recognisable?

I suggested Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland, I have a white dress, tiaras aplenty, felt that could be made into hearts but I don't think mum thinks its a good idea :rolleyes:

My only other suggestion was Wee Willie Winkie and dress mindee in PJs and give them a candle (unlit!) :laughing:

What are your own kids/mindees going as and how are you doing it??

Hebs
26-02-2010, 11:51 AM
my son is going in as robin hood, bought outfit from ebay (he is 10 and doesnt fit into any of my dressing up clothes)

i did want him to go in as the grinch, hair sprayed green, green face green clothes but he wont :rolleyes:

what about dressing her all in grey or brown paint her face same colour and send her in as a bookworm :thumbsup:

dlissaman
26-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Asda have some lovely character costumes

Pudding Girl
26-02-2010, 02:20 PM
School are encouraging them to not just buy something as it's a cop out and to make something original.

She'd like to go as the gruffallo but finding brown childrens clothes will be hard!

LOOPYLISA
26-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Thank goodness my dd is at high school, hated dress up days :D

Sorry i have no idea

Hebs
26-02-2010, 02:26 PM
What about stripy pj's and go as andy pandy?

sandy64
26-02-2010, 02:26 PM
ive to dress to of my dd up and struggling,could do snow white and cinderella but would like to make something why dont you get books out and have a look thats what im trying to do so any ideas may help me as well:)

Hebs
26-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Or dungarees and fasten some of those fake flowers around her and she could be bill/ben?

Hebs
26-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Or short dress and white bloomers and she's annie!

Pudding Girl
26-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Would have to be someone she knows who it is, she's 5 lol not 40 ;) Hebs I can see what you used to watch!! :laughing:

I think I shall tell mum I can manage to help out a little and re-suggest Queen of hearts but I really hope she's not expecting me to make the damn thing (yeah right, course she is!! :rolleyes: )

nannymcflea
26-02-2010, 08:30 PM
An easy one I've posted before is Yellow leggings, Yellow sweatshirt, Red hair ribbons, dotted freckles....Little Miss Sunshine.

OR choose a colour and be any Mr Men/Little Miss character.:thumbsup:

Bananabrain
27-02-2010, 08:12 AM
When my son was in primary he went as The Artful dodger {got a tail coat from a charity shop** and Dennis the menace. I've also done Harry Hill which was excellent {even tho' I say it myself**
This thread has just reminded me that my after schoolie won't have a costume this week {cos dad will forget** Didn't think I was having him this week. Now I'm really stressed 'cos I don't want him in tears {On the other hand I don't really think I should be making costumes for mindees, have done before but rarely get thanks**
Blast! Dilemma!

Paws
27-02-2010, 08:12 AM
School are encouraging them to not just buy something as it's a cop out and to make something original.

She'd like to go as the gruffallo but finding brown childrens clothes will be hard!

My daughter has some brown leggings and my son has a brown long-sleeved t-shirt? I could always pop them in the post if you want to borrow them?

huggableshelly
27-02-2010, 08:58 AM
my DD wants to be Jack frost so bought white jeans from primark with a white tshirt and will add tin foilr to it for decoration

my DS wants to be horrid henry so painting a ywllow stripe onto an old blue top and he already has jeans too

Pudding Girl
27-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Thank you for your kind offer, it's now officially Queen of Hearts :) which I am making apparently :rolleyes:

FussyElmo
27-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Eldest dd is going as Annaveth Chase from percy jackson and ds is going as Merlin from the series. Thank heaven for charity shops :)

Willowdancer
27-02-2010, 05:56 PM
my DS wants to be horrid henry so painting a ywllow stripe onto an old blue top and he already has jeans too

My oldest DS went as Horrid Henry yesterday - for some reason our school seems to have book week in a completely different week to the rest of the world. :rolleyes:

The youngest DS went as the gingerbread man - I made the costume for that one from scratch. Thank goodness I only had to add stripes to one of DS1's old school jumpers for the Horrid Henry top and DD wanted to wear her beloved giraffe costume so we decided she could be Gerald from Giraffes Can't Dance.

babs
27-02-2010, 06:01 PM
An easy one I've posted before is Yellow leggings, Yellow sweatshirt, Red hair ribbons, dotted freckles....Little Miss Sunshine.

OR choose a colour and be any Mr Men/Little Miss character.:thumbsup:

or sponge bob square pants