PDA

View Full Version : clarinet compulsary at school

singlewiththree
25-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Does anyone know if you can take children off certain classes at school. My daughter is very academic, top of all academic subjects but she is having a hard time with the clarinet. The whole class has to learn it and she cries the night before, tries her hardest to hide it and leave it at home, she worries all week about it and after 2 terms has only just managed to put the thing together herself. I've tried to get her to see it as an academic subject and turn her thinking around but she says the other children laugh as she so obviously get the wrong notes. I've spoken to school about it but they just don't seem to realise how much it upsets her.

Hebs
25-02-2010, 11:17 AM
i have no idea sorry

schools............ grrrrrrr dont get me started :angry: :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
25-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Oh bless her, how sad for her to be getting so upset :(

Have you been in and seen her teacher ?

miffy
25-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Aahhh bless her - think you need to have another word with the school, perhaps there's another instrument she can learn instead?

Miffy xx

MarpleJollytots
25-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Ive just text a teacher friend.Its not compulsory to learn an instrument.If its making her unhappy whats the point???? Poor thing.Its no fun for you either seeing her so upset xxxx Have a nice afternoon and thankyou for the recommendation looks very hopefull.

sweets
25-02-2010, 01:01 PM
ah bless her!

now please don't take this the wrong way but sometimes i think its good for children to have something that they are not good at!

you say that your daughter is very academic, she is probably top of the class in most subjects and maybe she is finding it particulaly hard not being top at clarinet!

i nannied for a very clever boy once that was good at EVERYTHING! but he was rubbish at football! used to come home crying because he wasnt the best and wasnt used to it. me and his parents helped him get over it by making a joke of it and told him that sorry but you cant be good at everything and helped him see things from others points of view, they excelled him at football but he was better at maths than they were! He learned to laugh about it rather than getting upset about it and even started enjoying the football lessons.

mama2three
25-02-2010, 01:32 PM
seem to be agreeing with sweets a lot today!!
its frustrating when something isnt going as you like , especially when youre more used to excelling. its a sad but valuable life lesson learning to deal with things you find difficult , and learning to deal with the emotions and reactions which come along with it. maybe she could think about the children who find say english or maths uncomprehensible , and how they have to deal with this every day. Its heartbreaking when your child is upset though , so hope her confidence builds or she realises that in the scheme of things it really doesnt matter!

Mollymop
25-02-2010, 01:34 PM
oh bless her. I doubt she "has" to do it - what do the teachers say about it ?

rachelle
25-02-2010, 01:45 PM
vaseline on the cork joins will help her to get it together ;) What does she find hard? Is it getting the sound out or knowing where to put her fingers for the notes? It's a tricky one to learn, seems an odd choice for school and no, it's not compulsory!

LOOPYLISA
25-02-2010, 01:56 PM
ah bless her!

now please don't take this the wrong way but sometimes i think its good for children to have something that they are not good at!

you say that your daughter is very academic, she is probably top of the class in most subjects and maybe she is finding it particulaly hard not being top at clarinet!

i nannied for a very clever boy once that was good at EVERYTHING! but he was rubbish at football! used to come home crying because he wasnt the best and wasnt used to it. me and his parents helped him get over it by making a joke of it and told him that sorry but you cant be good at everything and helped him see things from others points of view, they excelled him at football but he was better at maths than they were! He learned to laugh about it rather than getting upset about it and even started enjoying the football lessons.

I agree, my dd is top of the class, very clever, but she came home upset last night sying she got a low score in pe, i told her, you can't be good at EVERYTHING :thumbsup: