PDA

View Full Version : Seaworld - so sad

louised
25-02-2010, 07:55 AM
It's such sad news about the seaworld trainer in Florida, I have just bought my seaworld tickets for this years trip, really makes you think about things. I'm sure when all the details are known it will turn out that the whale was playing and never meant to hurt his trainer but I really feel for the trainers family although they may be comforted knowing she died doing something she loved:(

sweets
25-02-2010, 07:59 AM
i just watched the video of the news report about it on yahoo, it is very sad but i'm sorry but in my opinion beautiful animals like that shouldnt be in such tiny pools! personally i wouldnt go and see them as i think its wrong.:(

i'm a bit hypocritcal i suppose though as i often go to our local zoo! which i think is ok, there just seems to be something wrong about whales in pools.:blush:

louised
25-02-2010, 08:08 AM
personally i wouldnt go and see them as i think its wrong.

I was of a similar opinion before I first visited seaworld but they do so much for whale conservation it somewhat changed my opinion, most of the whales kept at seaworld were born in captivity and cannot be released, they tried this with Keiko (free willy) and he died, so I think they are just trying to do right by the whales and educate the public. Many people would never get the chance to see a wild orca so being able to see these magnificant creatures is a privilage

LOOPYLISA
25-02-2010, 08:22 AM
So sad :(

When we went to loro park in Tenerife they had these shows, i personally am really scared of them :eek: and don't like to see them in such small pools :(

The Juggler
25-02-2010, 09:18 AM
i just watched the video of the news report about it on yahoo, it is very sad but i'm sorry but in my opinion beautiful animals like that shouldnt be in such tiny pools! personally i wouldnt go and see them as i think its wrong.:(

i'm a bit hypocritcal i suppose though as i often go to our local zoo! which i think is ok, there just seems to be something wrong about whales in pools.:blush:

I can kind of, at a push, see how keeping dolphins in smaller pools like this works but never really got the idea of playing with killer whales:panic: :panic:
the clue is in the name surely

Hebs
25-02-2010, 09:46 AM
the clue is in the name surely

actually there proper name is Orca :thumbsup:

and i agree they shouldn't be kept in small tanks, Keiko (free willy) lived happily for a few years out in the wild before he died, but then again he wasnt in the best of health after being kept couped up :thumbsup:

Mollymop
25-02-2010, 09:49 AM
It's so sad

we have been to Florida twice and been to Seaworld Orlando loads of times during our stay - we all loved it.

I hope they don't kill the whale, after all he has done nothing "wrong" ...they are very dangerous animals. I can't comment whether I think it is right or wrong to keep them in captivity as I don't know too much about them....

Hebs
25-02-2010, 09:50 AM
feel sorry for her and her family

reports are saying she might have been dragged in?

Mollymop
25-02-2010, 09:51 AM
here's the story

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1253564/Trainer-dies-attack-killer-whale-SeaWorld.html

Hebs
25-02-2010, 09:58 AM
according to sky news the whale killed a trainer back in 1991, he was then sold to sea world, where another man was found floating in his tank in 1999

:panic: sorry but they shouldn't have been using him for displays :angry: sea world have been negligent in this and she paid with her life :(

The Orlando Sentinel said the whale has killed before.

Tillikum, known as 'Tilly', was blamed for the drowning of one of his trainers in 1991 while he was performing at Sealand of the Pacific in Victoria, British Columbia, the newspaper said.

He was then sold to SeaWorld in 1992 and in 1999 was involved in another death when authorities discovered the body of a naked man lying across his back.

A former SeaWorld employee told the Sentinel Tillikum is usually kept apart from the other whales and trainers are not allowed to get into the water with him because of his past.

maryp0ppins
25-02-2010, 10:05 AM
As awful as it is & i've now seen the show in orlando twice.....

The tital of the KILLER whale gives it away. The people working with these animals must be aware of what COULD happen on a daily basis.

My heart goes out to the family. :(

Blackhorse
25-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Having worked in a zoo for some time and having been in contact with ''dangerous'' animals like tigers, elephants, orang utans and bears I can tell you that people working with these animals are well aware of the dangers but there is also a part where you get to know the animal and can judge by their behaviour what they will be up to next and when to get out. Unfortunately being a wild animal you can never be 100% certain what an animal is going to do so there is always a risk involved.
An orang utan I worked with for a while was fine one day and the next when luckily I wasnt there he got into a jealous fit and attacked a keeper who was injured quite badly.
Another part is that I think it is easy to get too comfortable around these animals as you think you know them really well and they become your friends and thus wouldnt harm you....

I feel very sorry for the trainer that lost her life and her family. Even though they are aware of the risks it is still a big tragedy and a shock.

I am amazed with his history he was allowed to be used in shows though ....

About keeping animals in zoos...It is not perfect for them as they want to be in the wild. On the other hand so much is done for these animals (in good zoos anyways) to make sure they live a happy life and I think these animals are great ambassadors to let people see them close up and subsequently care about them and help to protect them and their environments in the wild.

I have never seen a show with Orcas or anything similar and I dont know how big the pools are....but it is obvious that they are too small for the size of these animals. I would hope again though that the ones that are kept in captivity will help raise their profile and the awareness of them and may help protect their relatives in the oceans.

oh..one last thing:
it is a little known fact for many people that the humble goldfish needs a lot of space and should be kept in outdoor ponds and not in little glasses (in fact to keep them like that is already illegal in many countries...)
they grow to be large fish and live for many many years...if kept properly.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
25-02-2010, 06:22 PM
It is such a shame we have been to Seaworld a few times now and I have to admit I do love going and I remember seeing the trainer quiet a few times so my thoughts our with the family. xx

Trouble
25-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Do you not think its natures polite reminder that these whales are killers and should be respected as exactly that Killer whales:(

i love seeing dolphins in places like parks and things but inside i cringe as they should be free, unless they cant be released for some reason:(

wendywu
25-02-2010, 06:34 PM
The pools for both the Dolphins and Killer Whales are too small, i have always said this.

They are wild animals and no matter what we like to think we can never tame a wild animal.

They never went in the water with this whale he was only used to splash the crowd and used in the Dine with Shamu.

The trainer drowned she was not bitten in half which he could have done at the drop of a hat. The whale had no idea that by keeping her under water she would die.

I bet they will not have members of the audience out the front feeding the whales as part of the show any more. It could have ben a member of the public. :(

Pipsqueak
25-02-2010, 06:43 PM
its is very sad and i really feel for the family.

i believe the pools are too small for these magnificent creatures (I am quite critical of zoos too - the enclosures for the big animals just seem too small - ie the elephants). i also don't like 'performing animals/mammals', yes they are amazing and i know that without places like seaworld etc the majority of the public would never see these creatures.

I hope they don't destroy the whale. I don't really know anything about their natures but perhaps he was playing and like Wendy says, he had no idea he would drown her.

Hebs
25-02-2010, 06:44 PM
her family dont want him destroyed, as its not what she would have wanted :(

wendywu
25-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Sea World have already said that he wont be put down.

Her family are so kind and good by supporting the Whale. They must be very special :)

Tatia
25-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Keepers at my local zoo, where I grew up, said they never got in the water with Brutus, a walrus, because he liked to play. And by playing, he would grab them and go underwater, same as he did with his other walrus friends. Problem is, he didn't have a clue that humans couldn't hold their breath as long as he could.

By the same token, the same zoo put down a polar bear that mauled a keeper and tore her arm off. There was a huge outcry about it and it was proven that the keeper was actually at fault because she fed the bear through the fence which wa sa big nono. Guess she got too comfortable and it cost hje poor bear his life.:angry:

Howlett's Wildlife Park has a tiger that killed its keeper but he (or she, can't remember) wasn't put down because of the wishes of the family. Heck, I wouldn't even trust my pudding of a dog completely because at the end of the day, he's an animal.

mum2two
25-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Like someone else said, most of these animals were born in captivity, and would die being released back into the wild.

I love seaworld, and don't know anyone who's been who doesn't think it's just magical. These great killer whales, being so gracious, just takes your breath away. The trainers do put an unbelievable amount of trust in them.

It is so sad that the trainer died, but I think seaworld has to take a lot of the blame, as he killed before in 1991, and in 1999 was involved in another death. (man found floating in the pool one morning - not sure if he snuck in after hours, or hid until closed - but he was found drowned & never knew what happened) Clearly this particular whale should not have been working with people.

Of course I really feel for the family of the trainer - Dawn, but also for the audience. I couldn't imagine being sat there on the holiday of a lifetime, with my kids and them asking what's going on, as we're being evacuated from the park. What a memory for all of them... :(

xx

Hebs
25-02-2010, 09:09 PM
So sad :(

When we went to loro park in Tenerife they had these shows, i personally am really scared of them :eek: and don't like to see them in such small pools :(

Loro Park is fab, their penguin enclosure is amazing, as close to natural as possible (puts edinburgh zoo to shame :panic: )
they do alot of conservation work like the parks in florida

LOOPYLISA
25-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Loro Park is fab, their penguin enclosure is amazing, as close to natural as possible (puts edinburgh zoo to shame :panic: )
they do alot of conservation work like the parks in florida

Penguins were fab i agree :thumbsup:

wendywu
25-02-2010, 10:16 PM
I think Sea World could at least double the size of their pools.

I think that seeing these animals would be amazing enough, because i do feel a little uneasy about them doing tricks to music etc.

San Diego Zoo and Wildlife Park just took my breath away. They do a lot of work with breeding plans with zoos around the world for endangered species.

But what i could not get over was although the Polar Bears, Lions, Pandas etc had massive park sized enclosures they were all playing and relaxing right where the people could see them. They were not hiding away at all.:)

louised
25-02-2010, 10:21 PM
There was an orca trainer killed at loro park in December as well, but it wasn't widely reported

Hebs
25-02-2010, 10:48 PM
They didn't have orca's there when we went x

kindredspirits
26-02-2010, 08:35 AM
sadly i think this is typical human beings thinking we are all important - how do we feel its right to have any of these animals in captivity when they should be free - they may have been born in captivity, but only because we captured their ancestors. :(
i am sure the trainer loved the animals as much as she could but at the end of the day no animals should be put on display for our enjoyment - what makes us feeel that important that we should be 'training' this creature or any others. most animals like this migrate and could swim round the world in a year so the pools at seaworld will never be any good no matter how large they make them.

LOOPYLISA
26-02-2010, 09:27 AM
There was an orca trainer killed at loro park in December as well, but it wasn't widely reported

oh no :( :(

Hebs
26-02-2010, 09:33 AM

actually he drowned and was NOT attacked :thumbsup:

here is a report following his autopsy

Sea World investiga la muerte del monitor del Loro Parque - Sucesos - La OpiniĆ³n de Tenerife

...it appears cause-of-death was drowning. The trainer's body bore no signs whatsoever of the physical trauma which would have been present had this been a true 'attack.'

The story also had confirmation of the whale involved (Keto). He's a 14-year old captive-born male with no history of previous aggression whatsoever.

Paws
26-02-2010, 07:49 PM
I would never, ever pay to see displays like this and it makes me very sad that other people do.

There are places in the world to go swimming with dolphins who live wild, out in the ocean. It is their choice whether they come to the boat and swim with you or not. We have some awsome photos of us doing this for our honeymoon as there was NO WAY either of us would ever support keeping creatures like this in captivity for the sake of entertainment.

louised
26-02-2010, 08:29 PM

Maybe I should have phrased that differently, should have said he died

actually he drowned and was NOT attacked

I never actually said he was attacked by the orca but it's pretty clear the orca was involved in his death and I'm pretty sure when they do the autopsy on Dawn Brancheau they will find her cause of death was drowning too.

Both tragic accidents which reminds us that however beautiful and magnificant these creatures are they are also very powerful and unpredictable

Hebs
26-02-2010, 08:35 PM
witnesses say she was thrown about :(

so sad, for both the animal and the trainer :(

Pipsqueak
26-02-2010, 08:38 PM
she was thrown about because he was playing - he hasn't done it with any sense of intent or purpose in human understanding - a whale or any animal for that matter does not have that level of comprehension that we know.

louised
26-02-2010, 08:45 PM
she was thrown about because he was playing - he hasn't done it with any sense of intent or purpose in human understanding - a whale or any animal for that matter does not have that level of comprehension that we know.

exactly my thoughts pipsqueak, if a 6 tonne animal decides it's play time, damage is going to be done.

The 2 other deaths the orca was implicated in were similar situations, orcas don't understand that a human is fragile and can't hold its breath for very long

Hebs
26-02-2010, 08:48 PM
exactly my thoughts pipsqueak, if a 6 tonne animal decides it's play time, damage is going to be done.

The 2 other deaths the orca was implicated in were similar situations, orcas don't understand that a human is fragile and can't hold its breath for very long

and they shouldn't have too, we shouldn't be doing this to them :(

Pipsqueak
26-02-2010, 09:17 PM
and they shouldn't have too, we shouldn't be doing this to them :(

totally agree hebs

sorry if i am appearing argumentative - no offence meant to anyone
just been reading back on some stuff i put - i must seem like a right mardy old moo lately

Hebs
26-02-2010, 09:22 PM
totally agree hebs

sorry if i am appearing argumentative - no offence meant to anyone
just been reading back on some stuff i put - i must seem like a right mardy old moo lately

nah pip love ya :thumbsup:

what makes me laugh is this........

whale attacks it's all oooh it didnt know better its ok blah blah
dog attacks it's all oooh its a dangerous breed and needs to be killed

they are both WILD animals, even humans who kill other humans arn't "put down"

:(

wendywu
26-02-2010, 09:45 PM
The difference with that is we have taken a wild animal and kept it in captivity. Which i agree with is totally wrong, and of all the Parks Sea World is the one i would not miss.

With a dog it is going about its life in amongst humans and it can pick anyone to attack. A whale can only attack a person who decides to go to it.

And what would you do with a dog that kills, lock it up in a cage, that again would be cruel.

A killer instinct is right in a wild animal, in a domestic pet it is not.:)

Blackhorse
26-02-2010, 10:14 PM
they are both WILD animals, even humans who kill other humans arn't "put down"

:(
well that depends in which country you are....many are being ''put down'' for far less than murder and certainly for murder!!

Hebs
26-02-2010, 10:38 PM
The difference with that is we have taken a wild animal and kept it in captivity. Which i agree with is totally wrong, and of all the Parks Sea World is the one i would not miss.

With a dog it is going about its life in amongst humans and it can pick anyone to attack. A whale can only attack a person who decides to go to it.

And what would you do with a dog that kills, lock it up in a cage, that again would be cruel.

A killer instinct is right in a wild animal, in a domestic pet it is not.:)

But a dog is a wild animal,
Its no different to a captive born whale

That's why we as minders don't leave dogs unattended!

Blackhorse
26-02-2010, 10:45 PM
I wouldt go as far to call a dog a wild animal
but they are domesticated descendants of wild animals and in some breeds there is still a stong instinct of attack etc apparent..whereas other breeds are more docile and they appear to have lost all connection to their wild past...although even this breeds can be pushed to their boundaries and can attack in defence....hence we dont leave them alone with children
that is at least the way I look at it....as in my opinion there is a big difference between domesticated animals and wild ones....

Hebs
26-02-2010, 10:50 PM
So is this whale a domesticated whale cos it was boen in captivity therefore never "wild"? Nor has it been plucked from its natural habitat?

I'm just interested as to why peoples views are so different depending on the type of animal?

Blackhorse
26-02-2010, 10:56 PM
So is this whale a domesticated whale cos it was boen in captivity therefore never "wild"? Nor has it been plucked from its natural habitat?

I'm just interested as to why peoples views are so different depending on the type of animal?

because domestication means long term breading of an animal for domestic use..selecting over generations the ones that are sutiable for the type of use required for the animal...
all dogs descend from a wolve ancestor but over years and years and years they have been bread for different purposes and all look different as a result of this. some are good hunters...others rescue dogs...other lap dogs and hand bag pooches. some are small some are large...all as a result of long term breeding. they have changed A LOT from what their wild ancestor has been.

whereas a whale was maybe caputred 20 years ago and then had a baby calf in a zoo...but it hasnt had generations of selective breeding and changing through human intervention. it is just a first or second generation of a wild animal..a true wild animal
whereas the dog has been 'under human control' for hundreds of generations

hope this makes sense what I am trying to say...
I went to uni and studied biology and there are different lectures on domesticated animals (and plants) vs wild ones...so there are very specific differences there

Blackhorse
26-02-2010, 11:01 PM
check out this: they can maybe explain it better than me
taken from :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestication

Wild: These populations experience their full life cycles without deliberate human intervention.
Raised in Captivity/Captured from Wild (in zoos botanical gardens, or for human gain): These populations are nurtured by humans but (except in zoos) not normally bred under human control. They remain as a group essentially indistinguishable in appearance or behaviour from their wild counterparts. Examples include Asian elephants, animals such as sloth bears and cobras used by showmen in India, and animals such as Asian black bears (farmed for their bile), and zoo animals, kept in captivity as examples of their species. (It should be noted that zoos and botanical gardens sometimes exhibit domesticated or feral animals and plants such as camels, mustangs, and some orchids.)
Raised commercially (captive or semidomesticated): These populations are ranched or farmed in large numbers for food, commodities, or the pet trade, commonly breed in captivity, but as a group are not substantially altered in appearance or behavior from their wild cousins. Examples include the ostrich, various deer, alligator, cricket, pearl oyster, and ball python. (These species are sometimes referred to as partially domesticated.)
Domesticated: These populations are bred and raised under human control for many generations and are substantially altered as a group in appearance or behaviour. Examples include pigs, ferrets, turkeys, canaries, domestic pigeons, budgerigars, goldfish, dogs, cats, sheep, cattle, chickens, llamas, guinea pigs, laboratory mice, and goats.

wendywu
26-02-2010, 11:01 PM
According to Wikipedia, " The dog is a domesticated form of the wolf"

" only after a wild animal is kept and tamed for many generations which result in a significant genetic changes is it domesticated"

So a dog is genetically not a wild animal. It is expected to cohabitate in harmony with us. If a dog becomes a killer where is its natural habitat for it to be set free in ?

Hebs
26-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Sorry but to me they are one in the same.

Just seen on the news the footage of her just before she died and she looked happy, I hope that is some consolation to her family

wendywu
26-02-2010, 11:33 PM
[
QUOTE=Hebs;650761]Sorry but to me they are one in the same.

:laughing: I can just see your new parents testimonials.

The children love being at Hebs, they are so very fond of the two killer whales, who are so much more fun than the dogs she used to have. I love the way Hebs lets my children feed the whales with any stray Ofsted Inspectors that happen to knock on the door. She has assured me that both killer whales love living in the paddling pool. :clapping:

Mollymop
26-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Have you ever read that childrens book about a girl who writes to Save the animals - or something like that???:cool: and tells them that she has a whale in her paddling pool!!:eek: :rolleyes:

wendywu
26-02-2010, 11:38 PM
[
QUOTE=Mollymop;650771]Have you ever read that childrens book about a girl who writes to Save the animals - or something like that???:cool: and tells them that she has a whale in her paddling pool!!:eek: :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Hebs you have written a book as well :laughing:

No i have not read that one, maybe we should send a copy to Sea World :(

Mollymop
26-02-2010, 11:38 PM
According to Wikipedia, " The dog is a domesticated form of the wolf"

Wow go Bilbo!!! If you have seen my little Lhasa Apso - you will find it hard to believe that he is so very wild...he chases the post girl and everything!:laughing:

Pipsqueak
26-02-2010, 11:39 PM
[

The children love being at Hebs, they are so very fond of the two killer whales, who are so much more fun than the dogs she used to have. I love the way Hebs lets my children feed the whales with any stray Ofsted Inspectors that happen to knock on the door. She has assured me that both killer whales love living in the paddling pool. :clapping:

:laughing: love it - but its actually a brilliant idea - feed ofsted inspectors to whales - but I suppose you shouldn't feed them junk foods

Hebs
27-02-2010, 07:01 AM
I'm very disapointed in you all!

Whales would much prefer a polotician than an ofsted inspector!!!

Blackhorse
27-02-2010, 07:10 AM

Just seen on the news the footage of her just before she died and she looked happy, I hope that is some consolation to her family

they may be the same to you but it is a fact that they are not :thumbsup:

Hebs
27-02-2010, 07:59 AM
they may be the same to you but it is a fact that they are not :thumbsup:

To you they may not be!

The links posted are what humans have decided, but then again not that long ago we used to think the earth was flat and that the sun went around the earth!

As for genetics, we get dark haired couples suddenly having red headed kids because of a dormant gene that hasn't shown its self for a few generations, so why can't the same be said about "wolf mentality"? There is nothing to say that a once dormant gene could suddenly present itself in a modern day dog, and that is why I say a dog IS a wild animal.

We don't fully understand everything in ths world and to say we do is IMO foolish, we have a lot to learn and until we do and remember these lovely little fluffy family members are wild animals we will continue to have dog attacks!

wendywu
27-02-2010, 08:17 AM
[
QUOTE=Hebs;650821]I'm very disapointed in you all!

Whales would much prefer a polotician than an ofsted inspector!!![/QUOTE]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
27-02-2010, 10:37 AM
[

:D :clapping:

Hebs
27-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Could I claim them as an expense? Lol

Twinkles
27-02-2010, 12:27 PM

Wow this is going to make taking my labrador for a walk much more exciting !!!!

wendywu
27-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Could I claim them as an expense? Lol

No because the tax man might think its fishy. :laughing:

No is ok i DO know they are mammals:rolleyes:

Beckieboo
27-02-2010, 05:45 PM
[

Lol :clapping: :clapping: :laughing: :laughing:

Mollymop
27-02-2010, 09:41 PM
To you they may not be!

so why can't the same be said about "wolf mentality"? There is nothing to say that a once dormant gene could suddenly present itself in a modern day dog, and that is why I say a dog IS a wild animal.

and remember these lovely little fluffy family members are wild animals we will continue to have dog attacks!

Come round and see my fluffy little family member who poops himself as soon as he sees a cat then wonder if a wolf would do this too!:laughing:

I see what you are saying but I think it is totally different comparing a wolf to a domesticated dog

Hebs
27-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Come round and see my fluffy little family member who poops himself as soon as he sees a cat then wonder if a wolf would do this too!:laughing:

I see what you are saying but I think it is totally different comparing a wolf to a domesticated dog

what i was trying (unsuccessfully) ro point out is peoples attudes to different types of animal attacks and that EVERY animal no matter how tame we think they are is exacty that AN ANIMAL :thumbsup:

sharks and bears for example are hunted down after an attack but the response to this whale are completely different :)

Blackhorse
27-02-2010, 10:01 PM
what i was trying (unsuccessfully) ro point out is peoples attudes to different types of animal attacks and that EVERY animal no matter how tame we think they are is exacty that AN ANIMAL :thumbsup:

sharks and bears for example are hunted down after an attack but the response to this whale are completely different :)

I get what you are saying hebs....and I agree..that every animal no matter how tame they are ''just'' animals. I just wanted to point out the difference between what domesticated means and what is a whale that was born in captivity. And yes people have made up these structures and terms etc but that doesnt make them wrong.

I think the difference between sharks and bears that kill and that are being hunted down vs this whale is that the sharks and bears pose a risk to the general public whereas wild animals held in captivity ''only'' pose a danger to people who willingly take that risk...not that I am in favour of hunting down and killing any animal to be honest!

wendywu
28-02-2010, 12:20 AM
#not that I am in favour of hunting down and killing any animal to be honest![/QUOTE]

Here here.:thumbsup:

Tatia
28-02-2010, 10:02 AM
I don't think Tilly was born into captivity anyway. I think he was kidnapped from his home in Icelandic waters and forced into captivity when he was a few years old.:angry:

Tatia
28-02-2010, 10:05 AM
This is an interesting article.

http://animaltourism.blogspot.com/2010/02/killer-whale-tilly-father-to-one.html

Hebs
28-02-2010, 12:07 PM
This is an interesting article.

http://animaltourism.blogspot.com/2010/02/killer-whale-tilly-father-to-one.html

very interesting, but also very very wrong

just let them go free :panic:

Blackhorse
28-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Interesting article
You know what I think is the best way to do animal tourism?
It is to travel to where the animals are and have a proper guided tour around the place...like I went to the north of scotland on a boat trip and we saw wild dolphins, minke whales etc..in their normal habitat and free to do whatever they want.
Like someone else mentioned that you can go to places where you can swim with wild dolphins IF THEY WANT TO.
I have trekked through the jungle of nepal and saw wild rhinos, monkeys etc etc...it was better than any other ''animal encounter'' in a zoo etc.
Problem is you are not guarantueed to see anything and you have to travel far..
I do think zoos etc have a place and good ones do a lot of education and research and they do a lot for the conservation of these animals....and they can have great enclosures where tha animals are happy (with that I mean as happy as they can be in captivity)
But I dont think some of the really large animals, like Orca's should be kept that way.
But as long as people will go to see the shows and will pay to see them in captivity that is as long as they will be kept that way because at the end of the day most of these places are out to make a profit first and foremost (I think anyways)

Tatia
28-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Wrong in what respect, Hebs? It's a factual article. If you mean wrong as in the injustice of it all, I totally agree with you.

Hebs
28-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Wrong in what respect, Hebs? It's a factual article. If you mean wrong as in the injustice of it all, I totally agree with you.

:laughing: not the article

it certainly highlights why they didnt even contemplate destroying Tilly :mad:
not becasue the animal didnt know better but because he is the best stud they have :rolleyes: