PDA

View Full Version : really gonna loose it with the school today

Hebs
25-02-2010, 07:35 AM
:angry:
lately it seems to be a battle of wills with the school,

last night mark came out with a letter about swimming lesson that start today,

letter says.... no ear rings and no goggles.

fair enough on ear ring, knew it had to come out, no problem with that

but i have had major disagreements over the goggles last year when he had swimming lessons.
part of Mark's ADHD shows in sensory processing difficulties (thats why he never wears socks) and he will not swim without goggles
I am getting so fed up of having the SAME arguements with the school that if they say this morning he is NOT allowed goggles i'm bringing him home :angry:

Mark can swim, is a confident swimmer after having private swimming lessons, he can swim with ease in the deep end of the main swiming pools, yet the pool they use for the school lessons is waist deep to mark (so thigh deep to an adult) I told them last time there is nothing they can teach him in such a shallow pool that he doesn't already know, and i am NOT prepared for them to force mark to swim without goggles and knock his confidence in the water.
i was told last time he had to :angry: erm i think not, kicked off, quoted the disability discrimination act and they relented.

it really annoys me that i am told he has no choice to do swimming lessons as its part of the national curricilum yet another boy in his class is a jehovas witness and doesnt have assembly or RE :angry: oh and has 2 weeks off before they break up for christmas cos his parents dont want him doing any christmas activities.

ooooooooooh i can feel my blood pressure going up, gonna loose it i know it....

suzyblue
25-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Our local school says no goggles unless you have a reason, then you just write a letter and its OK. I think its crazy that they are being so stubborn about it! They are not being inclusive!!!! I think they are interpreting the rules their own way, have you spoken to the head about this? Try and stay calm and ask for their reasons.

Hebs
25-02-2010, 08:16 AM
, have you spoken to the head about this?.

arguement last year was with the headmaster,

i really want to change my sons school but he doesnt want to leave his friends :panic:

Tam's Tribe
25-02-2010, 08:17 AM
I cant understand why the children cant wear goggles . . . my two love swimming but hate the water in their eyes (9 yrs and 5 yrs) . . . when my eldest was doing swimming lessons as part of the curriculum, they were allowed to wear goggles.

gigglinggoblin
25-02-2010, 08:20 AM
hope they give in quickly, have you complained to the lea?

LOOPYLISA
25-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Why no goggles :rolleyes:

When my dd had s lessons with the school they could wear them :panic:

sweets
25-02-2010, 08:24 AM
i'm not sure on this one.i can sooort of understand why schools dont like goggles, i can imagine loads of kids messing with them and flicking them about, and theres the problems of some kids having them and some not! but i suppose thats life!

then theres the arguement that if a child can only swim with goggles on then then what would happen if they fell into some water and panicked because they werent wearing them!

Hebs how would you and mark feel if he was the only one that was allowed to wear them because of his problems? wouldnt that single him out?

mama2three
25-02-2010, 08:43 AM
after helping at school swimming for years i can completely understand the 'no goggles' thing - the kids really dont get much time to ' learn' as it is in school groups - and a large part of this time is taken up with messing with goggles. I wouldnt have believed it til i saw just how much time is wasted.
But every child is different and there are exceptions to every rule , so if there is a 'specific need' then they should be allowed! my own son wears them as he has contacts when swimming or he wouldnt see a thing - so goggles make sure they dont 'wash out'. Its up to you and the head to decide if there is a case for there to be an exception for mark , though i can see sweets point , Mark possibly wont like being the one getting the preferential treatment and making him stand out .

Chatterbox Childcare
25-02-2010, 09:08 AM
The national curriculum states that they have to do swimming until then can swim 25m. If Mark is a confident swimmer he doesn't have to do them. could he not just stay at school?

peanuts
25-02-2010, 09:08 AM
at our swimming clubs lessons we sometimes have nights where no goggles are to be worn so they get used to not wearing them if they broke during a lesson so they can carry on as normal and get used to swimming with them off.

one wee girl totally freaked when her goggles broke so the teacher said next week no-one was to wear them to see how they all got on with them. they got to choose at the end of the lessons whether they wanted to wear the goggles they had brought, only one child decided to wear them,

Hebs
25-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Hebs how would you and mark feel if he was the only one that was allowed to wear them because of his problems? wouldnt that single him out?

last year he was allowed goggles after argueing with the school, i just can't understand why they are trying to stop him this year.

Hebs
25-02-2010, 09:39 AM
then theres the arguement that if a child can only swim with goggles on then then what would happen if they fell into some water and panicked because they werent wearing them!

but river water doesnt have chlorine in it :thumbsup: and thats what most people dont like as it stings the eyes,

and if he fell into water like a river for example, goggles would be the least of his worries

Hebs
25-02-2010, 09:41 AM
The national curriculum states that they have to do swimming until then can swim 25m. If Mark is a confident swimmer he doesn't have to do them. could he not just stay at school?

thanks for the Debbie, i didnt know there was a cut off :D

he does want to go to the lessons just not without his goggles.

school said they have informed the swimming teacher that mark will have his goggles........ just have to wait to see when he comes home if the teacher actually let him.

Mollymop
25-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Our school lets the kids wear googles thank goodness as Tim can't swim without them - he has ADD traits (not diagnoised and I have given up with the NHS after all these years - that's another story!!)

I can't see why they won't let them wear them. Where's the danger?

Hebs
25-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Molly this is one in a long line of complaints i have with the school,

they've stopped all of his one on one support but are now complaining he's not progressing as well as he had been at school :rolleyes:

i wonder why? :panic:

needless to say i have 2 private tutors for him starting tonight ;)

Spangles
25-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Wasn't the letter just a general letter for all the children? They wouldn't put no goggles except Mark in it would they?

I wonder if they will be fine about him wearing goggles after last year and it's just a general letter to the parents saying that they can't wear goggles.

If he can't wear them though I would definitely go in and remind them again why he has to have them. It's ridiculous if you have to remind them and fight for the same things over and over, must make Mark feel bad too.

Hebs
25-02-2010, 10:19 AM
If he can't wear them though I would definitely go in and remind them again why he has to have them. It's ridiculous if you have to remind them and fight for the same things over and over, must make Mark feel bad too.

i always have to remind them over and over :rolleyes: