PDA

View Full Version : Stairs?

marzi
24-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Hi, I've just had a thought. My stairs are a bit strange, they have gaps instead of an upright panel of wood. Is this going to be a problem? I can't change them as my house is privately rented. It's taken me about 2 months to get permission from my landlord to actually childmind and if I can't do it now because of my stairs I won't be impressed :mad:

Hebs
24-02-2010, 06:15 PM
there has to be a minimum gap between the bars, my stairs were open plan but had to have a banister put up, wasn't impressed, i hate it and it will be the first thing to come down when i stop :thumbsup:

can you put some clear plastic or net up for safety?

marzi
24-02-2010, 06:20 PM
We have banisters. It's between the actual treads themselves. I think i'll look into netting then ask Mr. or Mrs Ofsted when they come. Hopefully that'll be good enough, at least it'll show i've thought about it.

Merry-Minder
24-02-2010, 06:30 PM
I was worried about this issue too as my spindles have quite large gaps between them. But my Ofsted inspector said 'that this is still my home and we cant make changes like a nursery setting' I explained that I have a stair gate and all children will be fully supervised when they go up the stairs to the toilet, and I also cover it in my risk assessment.

Having said this, it seems to be another Ofsted inconsistency because some as someone else said they were asked to make the changes, and I knew of another person, but she also had an open staircase so that might be the problem.

I hope that reads right:blush:

Hebs
24-02-2010, 06:32 PM
i dont have a stair gate btw :thumbsup: