PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Kit List pls & plasters info.

thinktink
23-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Hi does anyone have an exact list that Ofsted expect you to have in your First Aid kit please and can you use plasters now on children as years ago you weren't allowed to have plasters in your kit also no germolene etc.

thanks guys, x

Pauline
23-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi does anyone have an exact list that Ofsted expect you to have in your First Aid kit please and can you use plasters now on children as years ago you weren't allowed to have plasters in your kit also no germolene etc.

thanks guys, x

You should have been given a list at your First Aid course but perhaps you have not done that yet?

Plasters can now be used but best to get written permission from parents first (just a general permission form, not each time!) plasters must be hypo-allergenic.

The rule on no creams, lotions or potions is still the same, they are not allowed. :)

linda2girls
23-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks Pauline, I didn't realise we had to get permission to use plasters.

Linda.

Pauline
23-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks Pauline, I didn't realise we had to get permission to use plasters.

Linda.

It is not a requirement but is one of those things that shows good practice by finding out if a child has any allergy to plasters and how parents feel about their use. :)

sillysausage
23-02-2010, 05:36 PM
I don't think Ofsted can/do specify what should actually be in your first aid kit, just that you have to have one along with a current first aid certificate.
The things you shouldn't have in are, as Pauline says, the creams, lotions and potions (I think because there is a risk of cross contamination).

melanieabigail2004
23-02-2010, 05:40 PM
They don't stipulate what you have to have. Googled and came up with this:
http://www.lbcma.org.uk/newsArticles/firstaidKIT.asp

Should get you started!

mel

thinktink
23-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Just done my First Aid course the other week but they didn't give me a list. Thanks for the info peeps, v. much appreciated. love the pudsey bear idea.

xx

Blaze
25-02-2010, 04:05 AM
They don't stipulate what you have to have. Googled and came up with this:
http://www.lbcma.org.uk/newsArticles/firstaidKIT.asp

Should get you started!

mel

This list has an ear thermometer on it - these are seen as invasive & should not be used. HTH:)

Pauline
25-02-2010, 07:19 AM
This list has an ear thermometer on it - these are seen as invasive & should not be used. HTH:)

Well spotted Blaze.

You can get forehead strip thermometers at Wilko for less than £1.50, they are really good.

miffy
25-02-2010, 07:32 AM

Beat me to it!

I know someone who was picked up on inspection for not having permission to apply plasters so have always included it on my permissions form.

I am allergic to plasters so I know how nasty it can be if you do get a reaction.

Miffy xx

susi513
25-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Hadn't heard about the ear thermometers! I was told to avoid forehead ones because they're so inaccurate. Blaze, can you please tell me which website or organisation this advice or regulation has come from? Many thanks, Sue

onceinabluemoon
25-02-2010, 09:00 PM
I was told you shouldn't use cream and lotions due to possible allergic reactions by Ofsted. They also told me we're not allowed to use antiseptic wipes to clean wounds for the same reason.

hope that helps

Pauline
25-02-2010, 09:35 PM
I was told you shouldn't use cream and lotions due to possible allergic reactions by Ofsted. They also told me we're not allowed to use antiseptic wipes to clean wounds for the same reason.

hope that helps

You can use antiseptic wipes with parents written permission :)

Pauline
25-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Hadn't heard about the ear thermometers! I was told to avoid forehead ones because they're so inaccurate. Blaze, can you please tell me which website or organisation this advice or regulation has come from? Many thanks, Sue

Our first aid course trainer told us that forehead ones were good :laughing: Can't win can we! :huh:

sillysausage
25-02-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm sure I was told that antiseptic wipes are there to clean your own hands etc rather than use on an injured person (even though you would wear gloves)......does that make sense?

Pauline
25-02-2010, 10:18 PM
I'm sure I was told that antiseptic wipes are there to clean your own hands etc rather than use on an injured person (even though you would wear gloves)......does that make sense?

Yes it does make sense and I think they are in the case of a general first aid kit and you wouldn't use them on someone you didn't know.

However, some parents want their child's cut and grazes wiped with antiseptic wipes, some think clean water to wash the wound will suffice, it is their choice I suppose but you need to cover yourself before doing it with permission slips. :)