PDA

View Full Version : Poisonous Plants - Risk Assessment - Hedera / Ivy

thinktink
23-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Hi I'm just getting ready for my pre-reg inspection and have been doing my risk assessment for the garden and looking at poisonous plants list, found this site and I have some HEDERA / the large ivy climbing on my pergola and some ivy on my garage wall - it's been there about 5 yrs - do I need to take it all out? , thanks getting in a flap with everything to do

Pauline
23-02-2010, 02:00 PM
You don't necessarily have to take it all down but you would need to show how you plan to stop children either touching it or eating it. I'm sure there was a thread here recently that said English Ivy was not poisonous, so that might be worth checking out. :)

mama2three
23-02-2010, 02:05 PM
there was pauline , just had a look but cant see it.
unfortunately as with so much , it depends which inspector you get. there have been cms told to take it all out - mine was fine about it at pre-reg , and my garden is riddled with it. so just got my fingers crossed that at my 1st inspection i wont get an inspector who wants it all removed. I have it on my garden r'a - and although it is often found on the poisonous plants list then 'english ivy' ( without berries) is a mild skin irritant rather than truly 'poisonous'. i found a website that reflected this ( as there is contradictory advice out there!) and printed it off behind the r'a as back up if needed. hth.

sonia ann
23-02-2010, 02:17 PM
http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=39875&highlight=plants

think this was the one:)

sarah707
23-02-2010, 05:53 PM
I was told to remove all the ivy from my garden some years ago.

Hth :D