PDA

View Full Version : What do you, or are your plans for children when getting in from school

Mia'smummyx
22-02-2010, 11:31 PM
I have no mindees as im still awaiting my reg, i was looking on some posts on another site and there was alot of comments from parents on how childminders are letting children watch tv after school, when my dd comes in from school all she wants to do is chill out have a beloved milkshake and read books, watch tv, some drawing, she doesnt want to start cooking, painting running around, she is shattered. Im not planning on having older ones but im just curious on what everyones plans are for after school.

Mollymop
23-02-2010, 08:18 AM
What site have you seen these comments on?

When we get home from school - it is chill out time, do what you want time, watch tv time, freeplay time, snack time!

We don't do much after the school run. My own 2 children have had a busy day at school the last thing they want is to come home to a structured environment like school.

I have after school mindees and all they want to do is either watch tv or go to the park in the summer. We very very rarely do anything other than freeplay.

As a parent myself, if I had a childminder I would prefer my children to play and chill out after school than sittin gup the table sticking and gluing, for example.

Plus - after the school run it is only about 1.5 hours til the children go home, so not much time to do anything much. x

EllaBella
23-02-2010, 09:14 AM
after school,they watch tv and drink hot chocolate , they have a snack. but generaly they lay all over the sofas lol. i plan nothing for after school unless itsa special occasion,, pancake day or the like.

in warmer weather we go to the park and i take a picnic tea. kids love it.

kids are generally not interested in anyting after school, its wind down time :thumbsup:

estrelas
23-02-2010, 09:15 AM
After school i have a craft area set up. No ones forced to do it but they generally want to, if its not craft then I have some thing out like Play dough/

Theres always toys available and books for those who want to read or just free play.

Personally my tv never goes on before 5.30, they just rarely ask for it. Occasionally we watch a DVD but thats normally when everyone is exhausted.

I have lots of views on TV, I rather we all chat about things than watch the tv but if they say they notrmaly get.
I think i've been lucky with my children as they all love making things and if there is a day when we get home and the craft stuff isn't out they winge at me

Beckieboo
23-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Personally my tv never goes on before 5.30, they just rarely ask for it. Occasionally we watch a DVD but thats normally when everyone is exhausted.

I have lots of views on TV, I rather we all chat about things than watch the tv but if they say they notrmaly get.
I think i've been lucky with my children as they all love making things and if there is a day when we get home and the craft stuff isn't out they winge at me

We are exactly the same, i have craft set up, beading, gluing, etc and the kids love it, They will sit for hours at the craft! Tonight we r making our own pizza for tea!! Probably followed by a DVD as they are all full of a cold and getting tired quicker!! Thats probably the only time the tv goes on if they are under the weather and tired!!

Tink
23-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Mine have snack, watch TV and play with all the toys.

They are rarely in a creative mood so I just let them free play and choose what they want to do.

There's never enough time for anything else, we get home at 4 and they go at 6.

Chatterbox Childcare
23-02-2010, 11:54 AM
I have children with a large age range after school from 5 to 11 and my 3 under 3's. The older ones will sometimes do the activities with the little ones and sometimes the little ones want to play with the larger ones.

As a rule the TV is not on for more than an hour (usually 2 days a week) but the older ones choose what they want to do and we do play the wii and ps2 a lot (Buzz) as it is fun and entertaining for everyone

My advice is don't plan too much, find their interests and go with the flow and tidy up at 5 so they are all fed and the house is tidy for 6 (this is usually where the tv comes in).

ORKSIE
23-02-2010, 11:56 AM
I dont put tv on unless I am asked. I wouldnt say No.

We have free play and crafts, I let the children decide what they want to do, they have had enought structure at school:thumbsup:

caz3007
23-02-2010, 12:42 PM
My afterschool are 9 and 11, 5 children. I have tried to organise things for them to do, craft and stuff, but they dont want to do it, they want to play the computer game or watch TV. All my parents are fine with this, as its what they do at home. We get home at 3.30 and they get a cooked tea before going home at 5, so really no time at all to do anything else

Tina O
23-02-2010, 01:46 PM
have snack, if parents require it we do homework, (but only if I'm asked as my son's do their homework later on after they have had chance to chill.) I don't tend to have TV on all the time, I wont say I never have it on......

I use a lot of board games with older kids, scene it's, pictionary, pictureka, cludeo, monopoly and chess, etc (i have soo many its scary!) but that is normally lead by my son who is a 'chess freak' and will play boardgames morning noon and night if we let him!

if after-school kids just want to chill, I let them, afterall they have been on the go ALL day xx

maryp0ppins
23-02-2010, 02:04 PM
I put TV on if requested by the older children after school, or they play on the wii - all with parents permission of course.
I have things available for the younger school kiddies eg drawing, board games, puzzles & on the odd special occasion get the glitter & glue out (for say when we did Chinese new year & other similar celebration thing's)