PDA

View Full Version : Planning ideas for 10 month olds?

Cazz
21-02-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm trying to do my planning for this week and am really stuck as to ideas for my two 10 month old mindees.

One is mobile and walking around the furniture as well as crawling, the other (on a different day) is only just starting to sit unaided and not moving around yet.

I'm hoping to put together a Chinese New Year display and will be getting the 4 year old to make something for that. I've found a website that you can print names in Chinese, so I will put all the mindees names on the display but obviously the babies are too young to contribute themselves to the display.

Anyone got any ideas please?

sarah707
21-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Don't even think of CNY for the babies in terms of displays and names.. the most they will maybe do is try some noodles for snack or bash some Chinese bowls with chopsticks to make music.

They might listen to Chinese music in the background etc as well...

With little ones the most important thing is to follow what they are doing. Ask mum / dad what's happening at home, get out the posting toys, look at the Eyfs guidance for more ideas...

Follow the baby :D

Cazz
21-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks Sarah,

I found the chinese name website last week and got the 4 year old to find her name and I then printed it twice. She took one home and I kept one for the display. I was going to print the babies names as well and put them on the display for inclusion purposes.

I'm glad that you said follow the babies interests as from what I can see this is about all I can do with these two at the moment!

My dw said that I need to put something down as planning each week though and I'm really struggling with this. One week I put "I noticed last week that G was walking along the furniture ...." so my planning was to provide a push along walker and opportunities to practise walking independantly. Is this along the right lines?

A lot of the time I find myself looking at the EYFS guidelines and picking out some planning ideas for their age group, but it all seems mish-mash and doesn't flow?

I find it much easier to plan for the 4 year old although I am limited time-wise with her!

rachelle
23-02-2010, 11:06 PM
your planning sounds like mine for same age group - I do a 2 weekly plan that starts with notes - something like interested in cruising and loving their new outlook on the world from on their feet and then an activities box that is things like putting toys on sofa for reaching and to encourage balance, roly poly play, walkers, ops to walk holding hands etc etc. Sometimes the next 2 weeks is a direct copy if still at same stage!

Cazz
24-02-2010, 12:02 AM
your planning sounds like mine for same age group - I do a 2 weekly plan that starts with notes - something like interested in cruising and loving their new outlook on the world from on their feet and then an activities box that is things like putting toys on sofa for reaching and to encourage balance, roly poly play, walkers, ops to walk holding hands etc etc. Sometimes the next 2 weeks is a direct copy if still at same stage!

I'm glad you've said that - I was worried that I would get pulled up for repeating things but when they're limited as to what they can do it can't really be helped!

Oh well, Ofsted due anytime I'll see if she makes any comments/suggestions!

sarah707
24-02-2010, 07:40 AM
You have to repeat things!

That is how you consolidate their learning :D

Cazz
24-02-2010, 10:40 AM
You have to repeat things!

That is how you consolidate their learning :D

Oh! See how this EYFS confuses me! :rolleyes: I hope it gets easier with experience!