PDA

View Full Version : Am a bit confused as to what happens next?

Laura176
17-02-2010, 09:19 PM
hello everybody,

I am new to this forum and new to childminding - so far I have contacted my local authority, attended and passed the EYFS test, recieved my EYFS pack, completed my 1st aid course and have completed my ofsted registration detail form and medical disclosure form and am just about to send these off (the pack includes the CRB check)

My question is .... what next? I have all my policies in place, but am not sure where to go next.

When can I start to advertise my vacancies? how soon will ofsted visit? how long with the CRB take to come back?

I am soooo sorry but I have so many questions and am so excited about getting started.

Thank You in advance for your help

L xx

Desi-101
18-02-2010, 12:43 AM
All seems in place. What do you mean by EYFS test? is that your Common Induction Standards training, which is roughly 30 hours?

In my experience as soon as I posted off my Registration (First week in Jan '09) I waited about a month before they came and gave me my initial inspection (they phoned within 2 weeks of me posting it to make the appt), the inspector then does your CRB form and takes it away with her as she has to sign it once she has seen your I.D's etc... from then it can take 8 weeks which mine did almost to the day for my CRB to come through. I was registered end of April '09. Its a waiting game.

Once registered the procedure is for Ofsted to notify your local council and a development worker will contact you from your council (mine forgot I had to chase it up) it may be worth your while asking now who your development worker is and start going to your local Sure Start centres to meet your development worker and other local child minders. You can search for it online.....go and just say you are pre-reg! I wish I knew this info before I started!

Every area is different though and this was my experience. You can start advertising but be prepared to let parents know you may only be reg in about 3 mths time depending on your area! go out if you can to playgroups in the meantime and get yourself known as it can take months to get a child once you are registered. This site is fantastic and you would probably get more information from Sarah or Pauline, so I hope my input has helped a bit.:)

Laura176
18-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Thank You Desi,

They changed the criteria in my area in January and the first stage is to attend a 2 hour EYFS test, to make sure you have knowledge of the EYFS ... if you pass that test, you get your ofsted pack sent out which is the ofsted notification, medical declaration and CRB forms - when you have your first aid certificate number you enter that onto the ofsted form and send it off - apparently then it is just a matter of them arranging an inspection.

Am just not too sure about the environmental health and registering to prepare food .... I have seen on here the food hygiene course and think I will do that, but am not too sure when to inform environmental health, when to start advertising for mindees etc - should I wait until registration comes through from Ofstead or do I do it all now?

Also, my car, house, liability insurance ...... do I do all that before or after my visit because they may not say I can childmind.

Sorry again for so many questions - I just want to get it all right :D

68nic
18-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Hi Laura,
sorry I cant help you as I am pre-reg myself,I did my 1st aid this week, was your eysf test the one where they test you on the framework early years foundation stage book? as I have mine next Friday. If it was, what was it like ? im getting worried
Nic x

Laura176
18-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Hiya Nic,

I know this might be a long shot .... but I think I was on the first aid course with you this week?? ... lol

If it is you, I can't really tell you anymore about it than I already have ... but if you want to pm me - we could arrange to meet up?

Take Care

Laura x

Desi-101
18-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Am just not too sure about the environmental health and registering to prepare food .... I have seen on here the food hygiene course and think I will do that, but am not too sure when to inform environmental health, when to start advertising for mindees etc - should I wait until registration comes through from Ofstead or do I do it all now?

Also, my car, house, liability insurance ...... do I do all that before or after my visit because they may not say I can childmind.

Sorry again for so many questions - I just want to get it all right :D[/QUOTE]

Hi, in our area we don't have to register yet with environmental health so can't help you there.

Regarding your insurance I would wait until you are registered before getting it, especially Liability Insurance as that is normally paid in advance for a year so its pointless taking it out before you are registered as it can take months so it will be money wasted. I was told by my development worker that I had to get my liability insurance as soon as I am registered regardless of whether I am minding yet or not, it may be different in your area though. Car and household insurance I think can be arranged only when you have children to mind.

You can start advertising as and when you want to but not take any children in as you are not registered. If it was me I would not pay yet for advertising but just put a few cards out in local shops/drs/schools etc. Don't worry too much about your first inspection. My inspector was lovely and gave me alot of ideas but did mention she expected them to be implemented at next inspection.

There are loads of threads on this forum regarding insurance and tips on inspection too. Good luck and hope your registration comes soon.

:)

68nic
19-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Hi Laura !!
what a small world this is hehe! yeah that would be great. Let me know when.Its amazing that nobody knows the test we are talking about.see you soon. email me on nstyants@ntlworld.com
you thought you saw the last of me yesterday hehe!!

Nic x

Laura176
26-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Okay Nic - I will message you x Hope you test went well today :)

Desi, thank you for your help - I have already had 2 enquiries and one parent wants to come and see me, but she is aware I am pre-reg and have told her I would contact her after my pre-reg visit ... I think that was the best thing.

I completed my 1st aid course on 17th Feb and am still waiting for my certificate so I still can't send off my forms to Ofsted (and these forms include the CRB) ... everything is taking so long!!

I will probably ask the same questions over and over again until I am registered so I apologise in advance..lol

68nic
26-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi Laura,
Thanks for your message. I think the test went ok, still waiting for them to phone to tell me how I got on. Wow your lucky to have a mummy interested already. I think I might start advertising once I get my ohone call.
see you soon
Nic xx:)