PDA

View Full Version : My daughter is bi-lingual!!

Cazz
17-02-2010, 08:33 PM
She was 2 in December and this evening she built a tower with some bricks and then counted them in Spanish!! (She loves watching Dora the explorer!)

Dh and myself just looked at each other with our mouths open!!

Neither of us have the first clue if she counted in the right order though! :laughing:

sarah707
17-02-2010, 08:39 PM
uno, dos, tres, quattro, cinco (usually said with a s or a th not a c)...

http://www.spanish.bz/newsletters/numbers.gif

Clever her!

It is amazing how quickly they pick up other languages at that age, it's definitely the best time if you are teaching them :D

Cazz
17-02-2010, 08:51 PM
uno, dos, tres, quattro, cinco (usually said with a s or a th not a c)...

http://www.spanish.bz/newsletters/numbers.gif

Clever her!

It is amazing how quickly they pick up other languages at that age, it's definitely the best time if you are teaching them :D

Yep - they're the words that she used! :clapping: Can't remember the order though!

It just goes to show how much information they absorb from a television programme. I was saying to dh only this afternoon that although she watches some television she only likes programmes such as Dora, Little Einsteins (hot on classical music!), Special Agent Oso and occasionally Mickey Mouse. These are all programmes that the child gets involved with - they ask questions and pause for the child to answer. She won't sit down and watch a cartoon or a programme such as Thomas the Tank Engine which is just a story - they don't interest her at all.

I know she has learnt a lot from these programmes and I can see the benefits of watching these type of programmes in moderation. She's a very bright little girl and always keen to learn.

I had read that pre-school children can learn a different language easier than an adult, so maybe I should try and teach her French and German then she can help her big sister with her homework! :laughing:

Tatia
18-02-2010, 07:07 AM
You could check into the Muzzy programme. I am planning on getting the French one for my DD. She has a few DVDs teaching French and she's doing well but they're not as in-depth as Muzzy.

manjay
18-02-2010, 08:42 AM
I had read that pre-school children can learn a different language easier than an adult, so maybe I should try and teach her French and German then she can help her big sister with her homework! :laughing:

That is most definitely the case. I sent my ds to a Welsh medium playgroup and now he can converse effortlessly with the children I look after who use Welsh as a first language. Took me 12 months at college to pick up the few bits I know:rolleyes:

charleyfarley
18-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Well done to your dd :clapping: :clapping:

My dd was the same and now ds is too they pick these things up so quickly. Charley is learning French at school (7) and has taught Mitchell so much. We have various cds and dvds for French and Spanish.

Carol xxx

kindredspirits
18-02-2010, 09:21 AM
well done to your DD - my DS was the same and at 3 he now counts to 100 in Spanish - forwards and backwards :rolleyes: and regularly asks me 'Que Pasa' which means 'whats happening'! :D

Cazz
18-02-2010, 05:16 PM
well done to your DD - my DS was the same and at 3 he now counts to 100 in Spanish - forwards and backwards :rolleyes: and regularly asks me 'Que Pasa' which means 'whats happening'! :D

:laughing: :laughing: Bless him!!

And what a clever little boy counting to 100 in Spanish!

kindredspirits
18-02-2010, 07:16 PM
yes he is clever in the area of maths and technology but i can't get him to number2 on the potty or sleep through! :rolleyes: :D