PDA

View Full Version : Should I call Social Services?

Daftbat
17-02-2010, 05:16 PM
I was at a soft play centre this morning with my mindees and a friend with her two children - also my mindees. The area is attended by staff but you have to supervise the children - its not a creche. Part way through the session my mindee "J" came to me saying a girl had punched him in the eye - the eye was ok but it had obviously hurt him and i kept an eye on him from them on - sorry for the pun - not intended.

The other children told me that this girl was going round hitting lots of children so i moved closer to the play area and observed what was going on. In the meantime my friend was angry because this child has got hold of her 18mth old and tried to strangle her and i myself saw the girl hitting, pushing, pulling hair etc with at least 6 other children.

The staff were called in and eventually they managed to coax the child out and tried to find the parent. The child is about 6 years old - and has downs (mild). After trying to locate the parents without any luck they took her to the reception - soft play is part of a leisure centre, and low and behold they found dad - IN THE GYM!

Dad denied that his daughter would have done the things i said - there were plenty of witnesses and two mums have made formal complaints to the leisure centre.

The more i think about it the more i feel that i should bring this to the attention of social services. The leisure centre should have the details of the parent since he was using the gym and if he is prepared to leave his young child who has special needs this time - how many more times has he done it? and what else has he done too?

Don't know if i'm overreacting - need someone to take a cooler view of things for me.

Thanks in advance.

Hebs
17-02-2010, 05:36 PM
i dunno, not sure if they'd be interested as by law there is no legal age limit to leaving a child, and she was unhurt (although that can't be said for the others)

think you've done all you can

caz3007
17-02-2010, 05:42 PM
I think your gripe is more with the leisure centre making sure that parents do not leave the children unattended. Hopefully they will have this dad over the coals about this. Surely if the child was seriously injured or contributed to another child being seriously injured being unattended would make their insurance invalid.

I would be ringing up to speak to a manager and making sure it is looked into

mamasheshe
17-02-2010, 05:55 PM
I would be ringing up to speak to a manager and making sure it is looked into

i agree with this xx

sarah707
17-02-2010, 06:01 PM
You are asking the question which I think possibly means you want to do something more about it.

If you're worried this child is being left alone by her father while he goes to the gym and that this might be happening regularly, then I think you have already made your decision to contact somebody.

xx

Tina O
17-02-2010, 06:02 PM
May be, with it being half term, he didn't realise you couldn't just leave he kids in the soft play while he was in the gym, perhaps he is used to being at the gym when kids are at school. hopefully the centre has cleared this up with him now. I would 'wait and watch' if I saw the kid there again then I would have a quick look round and see if I could locate parents in soft play, if it looks like no-one was with them I would question the staff. I think calling social services at this time may be an over reaction, hopefully it was a 'one off'.......

Lainey Lou
17-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Well I am stunned that someone would leave a 6 year old unattended, special needs or not, unbelieveble! However, as we all know some people can be abit thick and maybe dad thinks that that is what the soft play is for to leave your kids whilst you go for a work out. I agree with others who have said to speak to the leisure centre and make sure they look into it, they have to make it clear to parents that it isn't a creche and they have to stay and supervise them xx

Daftbat
17-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone.

Chatterbox Childcare
17-02-2010, 07:43 PM
I cannot see that SS would act on this considering the workload they have but you could take it up with the Centre and their policy.

Daftbat
17-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone.

peanuts
17-02-2010, 09:48 PM
some places work that way although it is normally supervised play while parent at gym/pool. Mind you i think they are signed in and out of this.

dlissaman
17-02-2010, 10:25 PM
if they are required to be Oftead registered (the soft play area at my local sports centre are) i believe they would have to have a designated Child Protection Officer. They would also have to have policies that may need drawing to their attention. I would begin your enquiries with the Centre.

Heaven Scent
17-02-2010, 11:14 PM
May be, with it being half term, he didn't realise you couldn't just leave he kids in the soft play while he was in the gym, perhaps he is used to being at the gym when kids are at school. hopefully the centre has cleared this up with him now. I would 'wait and watch' if I saw the kid there again then I would have a quick look round and see if I could locate parents in soft play, if it looks like no-one was with them I would question the staff. I think calling social services at this time may be an over reaction, hopefully it was a 'one off'.......

I'd be inclined to agree with this I think so you don't end up with egg on your face you should give the benefit of the doubt and if its a recurring problem then put out further feelers officially wise. You obviously don't know much about this family or their circumstances so I wouldn't go getting involved it just may come back and bite you on the behind when you are least expecting it.

Daftbat
18-02-2010, 08:06 AM
I have written to the Leisure Centre to voice my concerns and i will see what their reply is.

angeldelight
18-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Hope you get a speedy reply soon

Angel xx