PDA

View Full Version : child funded places

rachb82
16-02-2010, 08:20 PM
hi there, i am a registered childminder and about to look after a little girl who is 2 but will turn 3 next month and her mum says she is entitled to free childcare as soon as she turns 3. i have never dealt with this before so dont know if there is any procedures i need to take and dont really know what to do so if anyone has experienced this and can give me any advice i would be really gratefull :confused:

happytotschildminding
16-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Hi - (I Think) the child is entitled to free place at the start of the term following third birthday. To offer a free place you need to become accredited - there are some posts already on here about accreditation. Hope this helps
Carol

Lily Grace
17-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Hi you need to be a accredited CM and you need to talk to your development worker. It means extra paperwork for you and you do need to jump through a few hoops to do this.

The Juggler
17-02-2010, 07:04 PM
the parent needs to know it's not automatic - she may think she can claim back hours with you. We can't even offer it in our borough as our Local authority don't have a network as yet.

Merry-Minder
17-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Im not exactly sure how you claim the money, as im only just in the process of becoming accredited - but claim defo cant start until the sept after childs 3rd birthday. Does she realise that the government will also now grant for 2 year olds?

The Juggler
18-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Im not exactly sure how you claim the money, as im only just in the process of becoming accredited - but claim defo cant start until the sept after childs 3rd birthday. Does she realise that the government will also now grant for 2 year olds?

think the 2year old scheme is only being piloted still with disadvantaged families. :(

claireLouise
18-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Wow this is news I did not realise Childminders can become accredited I thought it was only nurseries, where can I get more information?

Kind Regards

The Juggler
18-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Wow this is news I did not realise Childminders can become accredited I thought it was only nurseries, where can I get more information?

Kind Regards

unfortunately even if you can access funding as accredited minder the local authorities only pay around £3.70/hour which might be more work for less than your going hourly rate - so you might choose not to do it anyway:(

claireLouise
18-02-2010, 02:35 PM
unfortunately even if you can access funding as accredited minder the local authorities only pay around £3.70/hour which might be more work for less than your going hourly rate - so you might choose not to do it anyway:(

The going rate here is £3.50 so woul be interested, do you know how to get accredited?

Kind Regards

The Juggler
18-02-2010, 02:37 PM
The going rate here is £3.50 so woul be interested, do you know how to get accredited?

Kind Regards

I would first check with your local authority what they plan to pay for nursery funded places (it might still be slightly lower than your rate). Then you need to phone your early years team and ask about joining their accredited network. They may not have one, that's the problem lots of us have at the moment, regardless of rates we can't offer those places as our borough's haven't set up the appropriate network.

So much for parental choice!:(

dlissaman
18-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Your local childcare support centre can give you information on your local 'Network Childminder Co-ordinator' if you have one in your area. Some are run by the umbrella of the NCMA but my local authority withdrew from the NCMA and set up their own.

My L.A. currently pay £3.34 an hour.

Regards Dawn

Merry-Minder
18-02-2010, 06:11 PM
think the 2year old scheme is only being piloted still with disadvantaged families. :(

Some of the minders at my network group are already providing 2 year old funding - maybe its just some areas? I do know that hourly rate for us is less for 2year funding than 3 year - however its around £6.00 per hour - diffenately worth it by me - its worth some digging

The Juggler
18-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Some of the minders at my network group are already providing 2 year old funding - maybe its just some areas? I do know that hourly rate for us is less for 2year funding than 3 year - however its around £6.00 per hour - diffenately worth it by me - its worth some digging

ooh yes that is worthwhile! sorry what I meant was that the scheme isn't open to all 2 year olds is it? I thought it was disadvantaged families only. Ours kind of works but more as a top up of the hours offered through the social services sponsored daycare department so it is a very little, under the radar pilot.

Are your borough offering it to all 2 year olds? that's really good.

mama2three
18-02-2010, 07:19 PM
in our area there are no accredited minders at the moment , but according to our dw one of the hoops we need to jump through is being qualified to FD level. however for the 2 year old pilot there are no such barriers , merely having recieved good or outstanding at inspection.

margaret
18-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Accredited childminders in hants get between 4.10 and 4.30 an hour dependant on what qualifications you hold e.g nvq 3, 4 etc and how flexible you are ,.they actually get more an hour than pre school

Merry-Minder
18-02-2010, 07:33 PM
ooh yes that is worthwhile! sorry what I meant was that the scheme isn't open to all 2 year olds is it? I thought it was disadvantaged families only. Ours kind of works but more as a top up of the hours offered through the social services sponsored daycare department so it is a very little, under the radar pilot.

Are your borough offering it to all 2 year olds? that's really good.

Im quite sure its all 2 years olds, but im new to it all so im not certain.

Dont talk to me about the SS and their sponsored childcare im having a right job trying to get paid from them - they are a joke!, however they did agree and when they have paid me anything it was my usual hourly rate.

The Juggler
18-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Im quite sure its all 2 years olds, but im new to it all so im not certain.

Dont talk to me about the SS and their sponsored childcare im having a right job trying to get paid from them - they are a joke!, however they did agree and when they have paid me anything it was my usual hourly rate.

that's terrible! ours pay over and above the average local rate.

Merry-Minder
18-02-2010, 09:33 PM
and there was me thinking that was good of them - lol

Sounds like our two boroughs need to put their heads together!

I'll have to find out some more about 2 year old funding when im back at network group next week.x

Pipsqueak
18-02-2010, 10:01 PM

The 2yr old scheme is only being piloted in certain areas around the country at the moment and the families have to meet a strict criteria and be referred normally by a HV, SW, family support worker, childrens center. Each pilot scheme only has so many spaces. The purpose of the scheme is to provide enhanced communication skills learning and support to the families (although there may be other learning needs) as it has been recognised that children from disadvanted families were entering nursery/school with very poor communciation skills that hindered their learning. Lots of research around it and ECaT ties in lovely with it.

i currently have 2 children via this and both have significant communication difficulties, both come from very soci-economic backgrounds.
The rate in my area is less than what I charge

The Juggler
18-02-2010, 10:15 PM
The 2yr old scheme is only being piloted in certain areas around the country at the moment and the families have to meet a strict criteria and be referred normally by a HV, SW, family support worker, childrens center. Each pilot scheme only has so many spaces. The purpose of the scheme is to provide enhanced communication skills learning and support to the families (although there may be other learning needs) as it has been recognised that children from disadvanted families were entering nursery/school with very poor communciation skills that hindered their learning. Lots of research around it and ECaT ties in lovely with it.

i currently have 2 children via this and both have significant communication difficulties, both come from very soci-economic backgrounds.
The rate in my area is less than what I charge

it's a great idea behind the scheme but the l.a. want all the support and the experience of great minders for less money than we normally work for..:panic:

Pipsqueak
18-02-2010, 11:13 PM
it's a great idea behind the scheme but the l.a. want all the support and the experience of great minders for less money than we normally work for..:panic:

I have to say I am loving the work, its a challenge that is different to other minding contracts. Its also very hard work - mentally and emotionally, as well as physically - a real rollercoaster and I am so glad I am not working this week - I needed a break.

I am the only minder currently in my area working with the 2yr olds - the rest are in nursery environments but the network is pushing that more be placed with minders.

My personal opinion and experience - its a fab idea/scheme BUT 10hrs are not enough for these children and the families need more backup and support than what they are being given - I need more back up and support than i am being given from the social worker/health visitor - other professionals involved with the child (my network and CDO's are amazing though). My biggest concern is that I am not a trained family support worker or social worker or even similar and it can really knocks it out of you the situation you could be potentially placed in/experience. Some of it really has blown me sideways and sucked me dry.

However, I am enjoying the work, finding it stimulating and worthwhile for the most part and its such as feeling seeing the slow results and acheivements of these LO's and knowing you have had a part in it. I just have to ensure I keep a very professional head on.

The Juggler
19-02-2010, 09:42 AM
I have to say I am loving the work, its a challenge that is different to other minding contracts. Its also very hard work - mentally and emotionally, as well as physically - a real rollercoaster and I am so glad I am not working this week - I needed a break.

I am the only minder currently in my area working with the 2yr olds - the rest are in nursery environments but the network is pushing that more be placed with minders.

My personal opinion and experience - its a fab idea/scheme BUT 10hrs are not enough for these children and the families need more backup and support than what they are being given - I need more back up and support than i am being given from the social worker/health visitor - other professionals involved with the child (my network and CDO's are amazing though). My biggest concern is that I am not a trained family support worker or social worker or even similar and it can really knocks it out of you the situation you could be potentially placed in/experience. Some of it really has blown me sideways and sucked me dry.

However, I am enjoying the work, finding it stimulating and worthwhile for the most part and its such as feeling seeing the slow results and acheivements of these LO's and knowing you have had a part in it. I just have to ensure I keep a very professional head on.

it is rewarding isn't it. I've worked with the sponsored daycare team for a few years they offered only 8 hours funding, as you say it's not often enough. it'd be good to have a few more to work with the parents wouldn't it.

Since the 2 year pilot scheme those I've looked after have been able to have their hours extended to 12/week. I think they're sort of combining the two at the moment but they are not piloting the 2 year scheme outside of those families who would normally have the sponsored daycare anyway so it's only scratching the surface at the moment.:(