PDA

View Full Version : I need to clean my computer but don't know how!!!

katickles
16-02-2010, 04:27 PM
My computer seems to be going really slow so need to clean my computer, but as the title says don't know how!!:blush:

Can somebody please give me easy instuctions as I have no idea what I am doing & don't want to wipe all my info:laughing:

Thanks x

sandy64
16-02-2010, 04:35 PM
go to your antivirus programme and run it that will get rid of anythink that you dont need. should do it aotomaticly tho. have a look if youve stuff on that you dont use and delete. you may just need to shut it down for 10mins and restart it, sorry cant help more

Straws
16-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Click on start menu, then my computer, right click on your drive usually drive C, go down to properties and click, the do a disc clean up. Tick most boxes in the clean up, you can check for information on each one

Straws xx

Princess Sara
16-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Follows Straws disk cleanup then do the defragment tool after. This might take a while though and all programmes need to be off for it to work better/quicker.

Also after this, search google for 'trend micro home call'. This is a free virus scan that works really well.

When I read the title I was going to recommend canned air or foam because I thought you meant cleaning the actual computer for dust etc... Which may also slow your pc down a bit too btw.

If you're after more space, delete anything you have downloaded, cookies from the internet etc. Only delete something that you have put there your self, just in case!

Bazza
16-02-2010, 06:07 PM
It could be because you are running too much stuff at the same time. See the little icons down the bottom right of your screen on the bar? There may be loads there, these slow your PC down. Things like MSN and AOL and printer software all add to these icons which represent running programs on your PC.

If you look through the ones you are not using, you can normally close them by right click which normally gives you an option to close them.

There is a way to stop them all starting up when you start your PC up, but i dont want to teach you to do it as you could do a lot of damage of you do the wrong thing....

But otherwise definately go to disk clean up as already suggested and also do a defrag if required. Sounds complicated but is simple as it guides you through it.

Personally i think the best way to keep your PC fast is to reformat it once a year. I just did this on my desktop and it runs like its on fire! Make sure you back up before doin this!

katickles
16-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks - will try what Straws say & see if that helps, if not I'll work my way through the list, lol :D