PDA

View Full Version : Obs help please!!

hev
16-02-2010, 01:24 PM
I have an 18 month, when she first came to me 3 months ago she said nothing and did nothing. I am now trying to do some obs on her. I cant do photos because her wow moments are what she says. I have saying lots of new things and she can actually count to 10 with a little help. How do i set this out on paper for an observation? im not very good a wording things.

Daftbat
16-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Have you got a proforma obs sheet? There might be one on the bromley site but its dead easy. All you need is:
1. What is the child doing - counting to ten
2. What ELG are being met - CLL - communication and language, PSR&N working out what numbers come next.
3. What are the next steps from here - recognising numbers on paper?, counting backwards?, counting up to 20?

Don't make it too difficult for yourself - a proforma is good to use since they often have all the tick boxes on it. You can probably get one from your CDO or other early years workers.

grindal
16-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Also obs do not have to be wow moments - they can be you watching and making notes on any aspect of her day. Routines, waving when she arrives, cuddles, holding a pencil, picking up a small object, what she plays with.....Just make sure you write it down and try to link some of your obs into some next step plans for the future.
As an example.... My 12 month old mindee picked up pretend pizza last week and tried to eat it, so in next months planning I will include some play picnics, an indoor picnic, making real (ish) pizza, and making some cut and stick pizza using paper plates and pictures of food.
Any help?

nannymcflea
16-02-2010, 05:04 PM
OBS.

X, standing at the little table, alone, picks up pencil in left hand and begins to mark make on a piece of paper using the palmer grasp, she dots the paper then moves it up and down, she is singing constantly. she puts the pencil down and picks up 2 crayons, one in each hand, using the palmer grasp and bangs them down on the paper together.

That observation would tell you where the child is with her fine motor skills, that she enjoys singing and banging.

Next steps.

Songs and instruments to bang together.
Introduce a variety of media to use for mark making.

For obs, just write down what they are doing for a few mins during different activities, take a photo to back things up too.:thumbsup: