PDA

View Full Version : Number of Observations???

pinky33
15-02-2010, 07:35 PM
I am hoping that someone can help me.
How often do you have to do observations on each child? Is it weekly or just a few each month?
I know that i have to do obs to cover all areas of L&D but just not sure how often they need to be done.

Also with regards to planning....... do we have to do individual, weekly and long term planning?

Soory for so many questions in one go !!!

sarah707
15-02-2010, 07:43 PM
There is nothing from Ofsted about how many obs we need to do.

We need to show a child's progression through the ages and stages... so as many as it takes to show that!

Individual planning is the most important, showing how you follow children's interests and learning styles.

Hth :D

Fabby
15-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Its good practice to do weekly, monthly planning and certainly individual planning is needed. There is no set amount on obs but as what sarah says

TammyN
15-02-2010, 07:49 PM
there is no set guide to amount of obs, just what happens. i do lots of small obs on post it notes, photo's, craft examples as and when they happen through the week and then plan to cover each area every half term ie one area a week! with a planned activity/experience.
long term/medium term plans are now in the past, ofsted will expect to see interest planning of individual children, i do however plan groups or activities weekly as a starting point and then go from there. if something is planned and doesn't happen show how 'flexible' you are to change :) this is a positive thing to show! i just cross it out or re arrange on my diary :idea: they like to see spontaneous activities.

louised
15-02-2010, 08:53 PM
I do monthly obs and was inspected a couple of weeks ago and my inspector was fine with this

Cazz
15-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Interesting that you've all said there are no guidelines on how many obs!

My dw told me you have to do one each half term?

I'm aiming to do one a month if possible.