PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to start working earlier, but with new baby?

NicoleW
15-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Hey all. I am due in June, I have my exam booked March but I am moving in two weeks from Sheffield to Southampton.

I was planning on doing the following.

Moving on the 27th of Feb.
Exam March 8th.
As soon as I get my certificate through, or probably before then I'd go to my local childminding group thingy bob in my new area to start the process of becoming registered as I know it can take a few months. I was originally planning on waiting until the baby was about 6 months old, so that would be December this year or January next year, but my husband has had his hours cut so we desperatley need the money, can't really afford to live on £200 a month before food shopping.

What age would be appropiate do you think for the baby to reach before I start looking after children. All providing I can become registered as a childminder from March til I am due on the 21st of June. I was thinking about 6 weeks. Hopefully I'd be able to get atleast two children full time in the summer holidays.

Fabby
15-02-2010, 07:34 PM
I doubt u will be able to get registered within 6 weeks. Mine is coming up to the 12 month mark!! I started looking into it last April and the course didn't start untill September, that was over 11 weeks. I am waiting for my inspection now and ofsted have said it will be about 12 weeks from now when i should recieve my certifcate (depending on visit checks of course). It all depend on when the course starts in your area. In my area they start Septmeber and January times. You need to speak to your local council to find out. :)

Fabby
15-02-2010, 07:36 PM
just re-red it, what exam are u on about?? Have u done the course 'Diploma in Home Based Childcare?'

NicoleW
15-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Yeah I have done the diploma in home based childcare, have my exam 8th of March for it.

Fabby
15-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Have u done safeguarding and childrens first aid?

Fabby
15-02-2010, 07:54 PM
My results for the exam took 4 weeks aswell.

NicoleW
15-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Haven't done those yet, I was advised to do those courses through the briefing sessions I'm going to attend (which is 9th of March!)

Fabby
15-02-2010, 08:10 PM
The briefing session is just one session. It seems like your area goes about it differently to mine. I started the homes based childcare course (over 4 weeks) on a saturday in spetember then did safeguarding for the following 2 weeks then a weeks break and then followed by 4 weeks of first aid so managed get all the requirements done over 12 weeks all in all. I would suggest u ring the authority tomorrow and find out when the next course is for first aid because until you have done this you wont be able to child mind. Once u have done all the courses u can then send off your application and ofsted now turn around applications within a 3 month window. I hope this helps

NicoleW
15-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Ah right, so can I just do the safeguarding children one now and the first aid one so when it comes to my briefing sessions I'll already be in the process of doing them?

Fabby
15-02-2010, 08:30 PM
It just depends when your local authority is running them. If its like what it is in my area they dont run very often i think something like 3 times a year. U will have to give them a ring shug x

Dreean
18-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Just a thought but it might be worth contacting the Southampton Childminding people and see what they require. (Also will you be in Southampton or Hampshire as depending on where changes who you go to!)

They may be able to help and give you a grant, etc, each area does things slightly differently!!

Good luck, if you are thinking of minding after you've had the baby July/Aug I guess you may be able to apply and get things going and there is a chance all will be sorted or at least at the final stages by then, fingers crossed for you!

mama2three
18-02-2010, 08:40 PM
it definately depends where you are - i did my icp after i was registered , but my first aid before. it took me about 5 months between briefing and registration , so if its a similar time frame for you then you could be ready to mind by the beginning of august , or by the time schools break up if youre lucky. As for minding with a tiny baby , there are mums on here who have done just that , but everyone ( mum , mindee , baby !) is different . If your oh is on short hours at work will he be around to help more?