PDA

View Full Version : Foundation Degree opinions

emile1973
15-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Hello everyone

I have decided to do an Early Years Foundation Degree with the Open University.
My local authority pay a large amount towards it for all childminders and having just spoken to the advisor connected to the grant I am a little confused.

She more or less said that the OU was the wrong route and barely anyone finishes in 2 yrs and it is sooooo expensive and you have to sit so many formal exam! It was almost like she was on commission to get me to go to a college.

College would be good for motivational reasons for me but working 50 hrs and times I finish work I just can't fit it in whereas I have Friday's off and evenings to do an OU course.

If anyone on here chose OU to do the foundation degree how does it work for you and do you have to go for regular exams etc. What do you find the pro's are?

Thankyou all, I thought I had made up my mind but wobbling a bit on it now!

Emma xx

sdean
15-02-2010, 05:25 PM
I chose to do it through OU as the colleges in my area only offered a half day and an evening or a full day - neither of these I could do as I have children of my own as well as several full time mindees and after schoolers.

It would be near on impossible to do it over two years - each year is two parts and each part is estimated at 16 hours a week on a normal week and then extra on an assignment week. The first part has no exams and I dont think second course of the first part does - as for the level two I think those courses have exams but not sure yet - OU are in the process of re-writing alot of the courses to meet the EYFS.

I work 50+ hours a week and struggle to fit in E100 (first course) I wouldn't dream of trying to do two at once but some people do!

It is personal choice really - I like OU as I can do it from home, but still have tutorials to attend and it is really structured - you know what work you need to be doing every week and if you haven't done it you are behind.

Things I don't like are that they like you to only use their materials and not wider reading which is a natural thing to want to do but soon get used to it.

PM me if you want to know anything else x
:)

Tired
15-02-2010, 05:38 PM
I agree with Sdean,
It will be impossible in real life to do it in 2 years. You have to complete 4 modules, and each one takes about 2 terms. You can overlap them so in theory you could start 1 in October, 2 in Feb, 3 in October and 4 in Feb, but each is 16 hours of study a week, so you could only do this if you worked on it full time.

I don't know about exams, certainly not any in the first module, and Im pretty sure there is not one in the second, but not sure about the rest, I suppose it depends on which modules you choose.

I haven't studied with OU before, and I have to admit I'm finding it difficult. You just get the books and have to teach yourself, with one tutorial a month.

But I'm not saying don't do it, it is rewarding, just hard work, and will take a long time to complete.

Kelly
15-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Hi I agree with with the others, it certainly is not the quickest route. I would have preferred to do the course at college, but the hours I worked meant I couldn't fit it in. I did try and get on a EYFD at my local college after I completed my E123 & E124 but was told that the level 4 did not cover enough of the required elements and would need to do a term top up. I am now doing my first level 2 course (K204) and I have a 3 hour exam at the end of this module.

sarah707
15-02-2010, 08:07 PM
I did OU - it was 2 courses which took me a year each (because of starting dates).

I think they have changed the format now though..?

You get them done because all the essays have hand-in dates, so you have no choice or you fail!!

OU doesn't suit everyone. It's very formulaic - read our material, comment on our material and say how good our material is...

However, if you cannot get into college it is as good a route to FD as any :D

emile1973
15-02-2010, 08:23 PM
I have been searching and searching for a college but in my area they all do one evening a week and it starts at 4.30-5pm I finish work at 6pm

I would love to do distance learning really to fit in with work and my family, like most of us on here.

I like the idea of being able to do my own research but if the only way I can do it is OU then I will do it. I really want to carry on my training!

Thanks guys x

manjay
15-02-2010, 09:15 PM
If you are wavering about doing it with OU I suggest you maybe look at uni's a little further afield. I started in September and do part uni attendance and part distance learning. It can also be done with our local uni by all distance learning. Not sure many offer this as we have some attendees from all over England when the uni is based in North Wales.

I only live about 15 mins away from uni so whilst some of the students attend from 2pm until 5 pm I do that module by distance learning. I then join them at 6pm and do that module in the classroom. This way works fab for me and I am really enjoying it. Polly2 is doing the same course completely by distance learning so she is a good one for advice.

Our FD will be completed in 2 years:thumbsup:

TammyN
15-02-2010, 09:25 PM
hi im doing FDEY at a local college, through uni and it's 1 evening a week 5-9. there are girls who work until 6 and come later, they catch up with paperwork etc at end or on break! i like it as you can share with others your thoughts and idea's, im not confident i could do OU on my own.
my course is funded through lea and i get loss of earnings paid as i can't work from 3 for that evening each week so im not losing out :clapping:
im loving it, im in year 2 and now looking at next options, arghhhh.
Tammy xx

tammys-tots
15-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Hello everyone

I have decided to do an Early Years Foundation Degree with the Open University.
My local authority pay a large amount towards it for all childminders and having just spoken to the advisor connected to the grant I am a little confused.

She more or less said that the OU was the wrong route and barely anyone finishes in 2 yrs and it is sooooo expensive and you have to sit so many formal exam! It was almost like she was on commission to get me to go to a college.

College would be good for motivational reasons for me but working 50 hrs and times I finish work I just can't fit it in whereas I have Friday's off and evenings to do an OU course.

If anyone on here chose OU to do the foundation degree how does it work for you and do you have to go for regular exams etc. What do you find the pro's are?

Thankyou all, I thought I had made up my mind but wobbling a bit on it now!

Emma xx
Hi Emma, I am studying with the OU. I am not taking any exams because i have chosen the ones without ( never been good at exams), just do the ECA at the end. Its like any course you need to plan your studies or you will fall behind. I feel its going ok, but there are times when its not so good :) at the moment im doing compulsory E115 which is a lot of evidence to do with your practice and ive just started a level 2 course inclusive education which im trying to get my head round.
Good luck

Nix
15-02-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm studying with the OU too.

It's very prescriptive...which I like but it doesn't encourage you to further your reading outside the course materials...which I don't like.

You'd need to be on it full time to complete the course in two years which is difficult when you work and need that income.

Is there anyone who lives close to you who could let you have a look at the material??

Good luck...:D

emile1973
15-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Hi Nix

Im definately going to do it but I have missed the Feb 2010 start so now have to wait until May, bit annoying but hey!

I live in Merton Park near Wimbledon and I asked my childminding support officer if she knows anyone in the area....she is doing it herself and 2 minders in the area but they are at the local college and I can't finish that early!

Will keep a listen out for others!

x

The Juggler
16-02-2010, 07:41 AM
If you are wavering about doing it with OU I suggest you maybe look at uni's a little further afield. I started in September and do part uni attendance and part distance learning. It can also be done with our local uni by all distance learning. Not sure many offer this as we have some attendees from all over England when the uni is based in North Wales.

I only live about 15 mins away from uni so whilst some of the students attend from 2pm until 5 pm I do that module by distance learning. I then join them at 6pm and do that module in the classroom. This way works fab for me and I am really enjoying it. Polly2 is doing the same course completely by distance learning so she is a good one for advice.

Our FD will be completed in 2 years:thumbsup:

I agree with Manjay. I did uni (via a local college) I just attend uni now for my top up third year. I had to do one evening a week (4.30-9.30) and one sat a month. You have to put in around 10-15 hours a week self study (but that includes obs during work and writing up as well as reading) but you could get away with 5 and pass as long as you are good at focusing on what you need in your reading.

Start September and finish in June of the following academic year, so not even two years only 18 months of actual study you get a nice long summer off. It was 6 modules over 2 1/2 terms each academic year. If you do the third year it's only 2 terms so goes (too :eek: ) quickly!

The Juggler
16-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Hi Nix

Im definately going to do it but I have missed the Feb 2010 start so now have to wait until May, bit annoying but hey!

I live in Merton Park near Wimbledon and I asked my childminding support officer if she knows anyone in the area....she is doing it herself and 2 minders in the area but they are at the local college and I can't finish that early!

Will keep a listen out for others!

x

Hi Emile, I'm in sutton - I did my ICP at Merton. I did the FD at Carshalton college hon and finishing at Roehampton but you can also do Nescott and then Kingston Uni? PM me if you want to chat about it. I know our chlildren's centre manager does it and sure she doesn't get away that early or if she does it's only once a week.

loocyloo
16-02-2010, 07:16 PM
hmmmm,

i'm looking into doing mine with the OU too!

i can be disciplined to get on and get work done, but i faff around whilst getting there! BUT, there is no way i can do it at a local college, as i don't finish work till 6pm either, and also have small children of my own!

i've been advised to do an 'openings' course over the summer first ... but i'm away alot of it, so think i might struggle!

i wondered about other distance learning options, but our LEA will fund OU, (and local courses!) so it seems the best option!

think i've just got to bite the bullet and go for it !!!

emile1973
16-02-2010, 08:29 PM
hmmmm,

i'm looking into doing mine with the OU too!

i can be disciplined to get on and get work done, but i faff around whilst getting there! BUT, there is no way i can do it at a local college, as i don't finish work till 6pm either, and also have small children of my own!

i've been advised to do an 'openings' course over the summer first ... but i'm away alot of it, so think i might struggle!

i wondered about other distance learning options, but our LEA will fund OU, (and local courses!) so it seems the best option!

think i've just got to bite the bullet and go for it !!!

I know exactly what you mean...!

I called the OU today and the next course starts in May with 26th Feb being the last date to register interest in the course.
I'm gonna go for it as I have been unsuccessful in finding another distance learning route or college!

Will let you know if I find anything else...good luck x

loocyloo
17-02-2010, 05:07 PM
I know exactly what you mean...!

I called the OU today and the next course starts in May with 26th Feb being the last date to register interest in the course.
I'm gonna go for it as I have been unsuccessful in finding another distance learning route or college!

Will let you know if I find anything else...good luck x

which course is this? the 'openings' one or the 'full on, go for it' one? !!!

thanks x

emile1973
17-02-2010, 08:49 PM
which course is this? the 'openings' one or the 'full on, go for it' one? !!!

thanks x

Full on one! (she says nervously biting her nails...lol)

Gonna go for it!

Let me know what you decide to do...a work buddy would be cool...x

loocyloo
27-02-2010, 09:53 PM
well, having talked to lots of people, i'm not going to do it ... yet !

i really want to do it, BUT, DH leaves home around 6.30am, and doesn't get back till close to 7 ... so its me who gets children up and more or less me who puts them to bed at night! as well as work 10hrs a day with mindees, with preparation time either side of that. i've realised that this week, everytime my children have asked me to do something outside of mindee hours, i've been doing work related stuff, and its not fair on them.

then when DH gets home i usually walk out of the door a couple of times a week for a dance class and choir practice, monthly i have book club, a couple of other bits and pieces and sometimes i try and see friends! weekends we're busy with activities that are important to us!

i've decided that i just don't have the amount of time available to study as i would like, and i will just get grumpy and miserable if i'm not doing the best i can.

i am going to have fridays off after easter, but actually, for the first time since DS went to school (now yr 3), i am actually going to have time to go into school and help! and i will go and help with DD class in yr R. i'm thinking of commiting myself to yr R, as its EYFS and that is something i know about, and would be able to be a bit more use that just sharpening pencils as a parent helper !!! i was talking to a friend who is a teacher at the school, and she said they would welcome me with open arms!

so, although its not the degree, it will be a professional development, as haven't been in a school environment since i did my NNEB 20 yrs ago !!! LOL !!!

and i feel i have a plan, as i will reassess the situation as time goes by!

good luck with your degree!

Happy Monkeys
11-03-2010, 02:12 PM
I too am wanting to start my Foundation Degree, I was going to do it at Open University but you have given me a lot to think about!!

Are there any childminders in Cheshrie West who are currently doing their Degree? I was minding in Ellesmere Port but have moved to Kelsall and dont know any other childminders who live near by.

Thanks.

Lynda