PDA

View Full Version : WHAT DO YOU THINK ???

LOOPYLISA
14-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Daughter(12) came home friday from school with a letter for a school trip

Skiing for a week in Austria.............................£700 :rolleyes:

We are tempted to go away as a family for the week instead :D

miss mopple
14-02-2010, 08:44 PM
:eek: and I thought the £215 for a week at an outdoor centre for my DD was bad!

I dread the secondary school trips and am seriously thinking of saving now (shes 10) so we can afford them.

Gizmo
14-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Its a lot of money for a school trip, does she want to go ??

LOOPYLISA
14-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Its a lot of money for a school trip, does she want to go ??

She would love to go, and it will be so good for her, i am quite jealous :D , just wonder how on earth it costs so much :rolleyes:

jelly15
14-02-2010, 09:03 PM
DS 14 is going to Italy soon with school cost £600 for six days (not skiing though) so sounds about average. I think that the cost of the teachers' places are shared between the pupils costs, the teachers don't pay as they are working and responsible for the children.

DS17 went to South Africa last year for 3 weeks on a school rugby tour, won't tell you what it cost :eek:

solly
14-02-2010, 09:24 PM
I never let my kids go skiing as it was to expensive and we could put it towards a family holiday.
We have just let my DD go on a trip to Washington USA last week and that was £500 but that was for law, & government & politics and she is at college studying both subjects. She had a great time apart from there being 3ft of snow and it ruined the shopping trip on the last day:rolleyes: she now doesn't want to see another flake of snow.

Hebs
14-02-2010, 09:25 PM
i wouldn't let my kids go skiing :panic:

Trouble
14-02-2010, 09:29 PM
If it was somewhere you wouldnt normally go then yes its good if not then a family holiday would be good:D

miffy
14-02-2010, 09:31 PM
, just wonder how on earth it costs so much :rolleyes:

Austria is expensive and so is skiing :panic:

And I suppose the £700 is just the start of it - there'll be clothing to buy and spending money.........................

Miffy xx

marian
14-02-2010, 09:31 PM
My DS (15) is going to New York and Washington in April for a history / art trip:rolleyes: £840 plus extras for 'must haves' ie empire state building etc.
He is going because there is know way we could afford a trip like that and it will be an amazing experience for him.

Marian x

LOOPYLISA
14-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Austria is expensive and so is skiing :panic:

And I suppose the £700 is just the start of it - there'll be clothing to buy and spending money.........................

Miffy xx

Yep :rolleyes:

Spending money and ski suits, helmets are provided, and before they go she will need beginners lessons at dry slope :rolleyes:

ajs
14-02-2010, 10:03 PM
two of mine went skiing with school the year before last we justified the cost as there is no way that hubby and i would want to go skiing and i didn't think it was fair to them to miss out

they loved it and we're glad we let them go

dd2 is in france now on a trip to Paris that cost over £250 just for 4 days

Spangles
14-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Oh my goodness! I'm dreading my children getting older! What with the hundreds of pounds spent on birthday parties and now this!

There's no way we could ever afford anything like that for our children, I feel bad that they are going miss out.

We just couldn't justify that kind of expense.

Spangles
14-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Sorry! Meant to also say I hope she has a great time! Sounds lovely and she's very lucky!

Twinkles
14-02-2010, 10:11 PM
DS 3 went skiing with his school to Italy 5 years ago and it cost £650 then so that sounds about right. You can get very good second hand ski stuff through local ads etc ( it tends not to wear out before they out grow it )

PixiePetal
14-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Oh my goodness! I'm dreading my children getting older! What with the hundreds of pounds spent on birthday parties and now this!

There's no way we could ever afford anything like that for our children, I feel bad that they are going miss out.

We just couldn't justify that kind of expense.

Mine haven't gone on the big trips either.

They will have to work hard at school, get good jobs and take themselves when they are older!!

Chell
14-02-2010, 10:16 PM
:eek: and I thought the £215 for a week at an outdoor centre for my DD was bad!

I dread the secondary school trips and am seriously thinking of saving now (shes 10) so we can afford them.

My oldest is only 6 but I think I might need to start saving after reading this thread. :eek:

Lou
14-02-2010, 10:30 PM
I think cost wise it sounds about right, and it would be a fantastic experience for her.

I went skiing with the school when i was 13 and i can honestly say it was one of the best times of my life, one of those times i will remember forever.

If she wants to go, and you are happy for her to go, i would definatly save save save for it, it would be worth it!!!

ajs
14-02-2010, 10:47 PM
we got the children's at tk maxx brilliant bargains to be had, go soon though as the do sell out

clorogue
15-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Well my son is there at the moment. Cost £856!!! Went on Saturday back next Sunday. The coach journey was 18 hours - delighted when he got there all for lack of sleep though - him and me! He so wanted to go and yes it is expensive easily been £1,200 by the end of it all. Bought ski jacket, sallopets, goggles, socks, fleeces, hats, gloves - and I shopped for the bargains! Plus 3 ski lessons before he went and spending money, they can bring maximum of £75. We paid in installments from quite a few months ago, all the same it is so expensive but I know he will have a fantastic time. I've said they can go on one big school trip each (I have 3) (hopefully!!)He is in year 10 and waited for this one. I have been getting some lovely texts too!! They have 4-5 hours skii tuition a day. Can't wait till he is back though - I miss him sooooo much!

Blackhorse
15-02-2010, 08:43 AM
depends where they are going in austria..I would be soo jealous!
some parts can be really expensive...a ski pass for a week alone can cost you a fortune!

We used to go skiing with school every year...but luckily only had to jump on a bus....

We all used to love going....but from a parent side it is expensive!
I would try and find out how many other kids are not going vs going.

wouldnt want my dd to be the only one not to go....iyswim.
when we went all kids always came and there was funding for people who couldnt afford it...need to check with my mum how much we had to pay...

Mollymop
15-02-2010, 09:20 AM
HOw much???!!!!!!!!!:eek: You think a trip to disney florida for 2 weeks over the other side of the world with disney park tickets included only cost a child about £500!!:laughing: :eek:

I would be thinking about going away as a family instead too hun xx

clorogue
15-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Meant to say my son is in italy at the moment, ski passes included. Helmets we had to pay £12 for.

mamasheshe
15-02-2010, 11:43 AM
wow that s a lot yes i would be tempted to go away as a family and maybe see if she would like to take a friend? or family like a cousin or something i only say this as my cousins are about the same age. it would have a great experience but if you got a bargain holiday she would have a great time to

Hebs
15-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Melissa wanted to go to France with the school, cost was £300, but so many kids applied that she dropped out as we have been 3 times before.

she didnt want to go skiing which was a good job cos i wouldnt have let her :blush:

estrelas
15-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Its a hard one really, i couldn't afford that much and But i wouldn't want my daughter to miss out
But i wouldn't like the idea of her skiing with out me there

Mcgons
15-02-2010, 11:56 AM
I'd let her go if you can afford it. I went on school ski trips (3x), cost less than £300 back then though, but they were best holidays ever! I got all my kit for xmas and birthday pressies (from C&A, how long ago is that?!!) and put some of my own money towards them.

Does she really need ski lessons beforehand? We always had daily lessons on the trip, but school did fitness classes 2x a week for several weeks to prepare - we used to be on the slopes from 8-5 with only a break for lunch.

Oh, the memories!

LOOPYLISA
22-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Well we all sat down and have came to a decision

We asked E if she really wanted to go, she wasn't 100% tbh, if she really wanted to go we would of let her, but we have decided we will be going on a family holiday instead that week :clapping:

Thanks for all your advise everyone x

jojane
22-02-2010, 10:22 AM
there must be so many people that cant afford to go, lots of people cant afford to go on a family holiday at the moment. think i may have to become a teacher - lots of nice free holidays!!!!! plus 3 months off a year!!!!!!!!!!!

patevans
22-02-2010, 10:25 AM
My oldest is only 6 but I think I might need to start saving after reading this thread. :eek:

I havent got any children yet but think i'll start saving too :laughing:

angeldelight
22-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Well we all sat down and have came to a decision

We asked E if she really wanted to go, she wasn't 100% tbh, if she really wanted to go we would of let her, but we have decided we will be going on a family holiday instead that week :clapping:

Thanks for all your advise everyone x

Sounds much more fun to me Lisa

Have a great time where ever you go

Angel xx

Roseolivia
22-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Yep :rolleyes:

Spending money and ski suits, helmets are provided, and before they go she will need beginners lessons at dry slope :rolleyes:

Are you sure ski lessons aren't in the price? We paid less than this over Christmas and that included my ski lessons for 6 days.

LOOPYLISA
22-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Are you sure ski lessons aren't in the price? We paid less than this over Christmas and that included my ski lessons for 6 days.

It says on the letter dry ski slope lessons (essential for beginners) £40 approx for 4 hours before visit ..........

The Juggler
22-02-2010, 06:07 PM
We never went on those trips at school as there were three of us and parents couldn't afford it. they were honest and told us. I don't think there is any harm in telling them honestly if you can't really afford to send them.

LOOPYLISA
22-02-2010, 07:26 PM
We never went on those trips at school as there were three of us and parents couldn't afford it. they were honest and told us. I don't think there is any harm in telling them honestly if you can't really afford to send them.

No if we couldnt afford it we would of told her no way, its alot but she is our only dd so easier for us in one way iykwim :thumbsup:

Gonna look for somewhere warm :laughing:

Tina O
22-02-2010, 07:31 PM
She would love to go, and it will be so good for her, i am quite jealous :D , just wonder how on earth it costs so much :rolleyes:

nowerdays its the cost of the insurance that puts price up, and because it's skiing then the insurance is more.......

Tina O
22-02-2010, 07:33 PM
there must be so many people that cant afford to go, lots of people cant afford to go on a family holiday at the moment. think i may have to become a teacher - lots of nice free holidays!!!!! plus 3 months off a year!!!!!!!!!!!

GOD BLESS TEACHERS! you couldn't pay me enough to do their job! and I would not like to go away with a coach load of 12/13 yr olds!!!!!!!

Tina O
22-02-2010, 07:34 PM
I'd let her go if you can afford it. I went on school ski trips (3x), cost less than £300 back then though, but they were best holidays ever! I got all my kit for xmas and birthday pressies (from C&A, how long ago is that?!!) and put some of my own money towards them.

Does she really need ski lessons beforehand? We always had daily lessons on the trip, but school did fitness classes 2x a week for several weeks to prepare - we used to be on the slopes from 8-5 with only a break for lunch.

Oh, the memories!

Still have C&A in Germany, and shops witihn walking distance of my house!

LOOPYLISA
22-02-2010, 07:55 PM
GOD BLESS TEACHERS! you couldn't pay me enough to do their job! and I would not like to go away with a coach load of 12/13 yr olds!!!!!!!

Hubs said i would make a good teacher :eek:

Yeh right NOT :D

The Juggler
22-02-2010, 11:07 PM
No if we couldnt afford it we would of told her no way, its alot but she is our only dd so easier for us in one way iykwim :thumbsup:

Gonna look for somewhere warm :laughing:

you could always let her go then you and dh could go off somewhere warm the same week;)