PDA

View Full Version : Observations... Help?!??!

mrsbish01
14-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Hi - i need some advice on how and when to do observations. I've had 2 mindees for a month now and think i've done plenty of observing but not wrote anything down. (other than achievements - like completing puzzle without help etc).

Where do i start? and does anyone have a template i could look at??? :blush:

many thanks

TammyN
14-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Hi - i need some advice on how and when to do observations. I've had 2 mindees for a month now and think i've done plenty of observing but not wrote anything down. (other than achievements - like completing puzzle without help etc).

Where do i start? and does anyone have a template i could look at??? :blush:

many thanks

hi i use my camera alot throughout the day, post it notes for obs seen through the day and use these to complete their profiles, i do one or two longer obs each term that i will focus on an area of dev. the photographs give a good reminder of what they were doing, etc when writing them up!

mrsbish01
14-02-2010, 03:56 PM
That sounds pretty much what im doing already - so i wonder if this is okay?

If i see them do something new or something really nice (like showing affection etc) i make a brief note in my little book and if i took pics i put the pic number next to it ready to print in a batch for the learning journey. I then write a little bit next to the pic and cross ref to the L&D goals (if poss).

What would you do a full observation on?

Can observations be used if you have a behaviour trait you think needs working on.. like when a 2yr old refuses main meal as wants dessert, in order to see what actually happens and then find ways to help get over this?
xx

TammyN
14-02-2010, 07:59 PM
That sounds pretty much what im doing already - so i wonder if this is okay?

If i see them do something new or something really nice (like showing affection etc) i make a brief note in my little book and if i took pics i put the pic number next to it ready to print in a batch for the learning journey. I then write a little bit next to the pic and cross ref to the L&D goals (if poss).

What would you do a full observation on?

Can observations be used if you have a behaviour trait you think needs working on.. like when a 2yr old refuses main meal as wants dessert, in order to see what actually happens and then find ways to help get over this?
xx

yes you could use longer obs in this way, this will help you understand the child's needs re eating? i tend to plan an activity/outing/craft to focus on a next steps goal i am aiming for such as using senses to explore environment, i would then plan playdough or gloop experience to observe, i would follow this up afew times with varying activities until im happy they have achieved then go on to next step iyswim?
if u pm me ur email i will send you the booklet i use for obs sheets, i just print the sheets i like, i don't use the booklet as i compile a file instead.
TammyN xx