PDA

View Full Version : minding grandchildren

ziggy
13-03-2008, 03:06 PM
I am in the process of becoming a registered childminder in northern ireland, if i mind my own grandchildren can the parents claim on their tax credits?
sandra

ma7ie
13-03-2008, 03:16 PM
http://www.taxcredits.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/ntchelp/helppane.aspx?H_VER=1.7&helpTopic=Glossarychildcareelement&helpType=undefined&v1=http%3A//www.taxcredits.inlandrevenue.gov.uk&v2=&tmt=_new

This has a lot of informations on regarding who can look after children. :D

Noodles
13-03-2008, 04:10 PM
I think they can claim as long as you care for them in your house and also it states somewhere that grandparents must not only care for their own grandchildren so you cannot register for grandchildren only you must willing to care for other children too:)

HELEN10
13-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Hi

You can look after your grandchildren as long as they don't live in the same
house as you. Also as you are not already a childminder i am not sure
that your son/daughter can claim childcare tax credits if you are becoming a childminder just to mind these children. As has been mentioned you will have to care for other children first.

HELEN 10

tulip0803
13-03-2008, 06:01 PM
A lady asked this at our breifing session and was told she would not be able to mind her grandchildren until she was minding at least one other child. This was CSSIW in Wales so check with N. Ireland registering body to find out if it differs there.

Angela234
13-03-2008, 06:12 PM
I started minding to look after my grandchildren like yourself i was told as long as i'm activly looking to take on others then thats ok there have been times i have only had grandchildren thats only because i had no calls to fill those vacancies.My children have claimed help with childcare no problem

Hope this helps

Angela

sarah707
13-03-2008, 06:17 PM
I think this is another one of those grey areas where there's lots of conflicting information.

As far as tax credits go, there's no problem so long as you are not in the same house...

As far as minding other children before you start your grandchild or actively looking for another child to mind, it is a bit grey... depends on where you live from what I can make out.

I suggest you ring Ofsted for their latest advice :D

Noodles
13-03-2008, 09:06 PM
If you are only looking after grandchildren your own children will not be able to claim the childcare element of tax credits

littlestar
13-03-2008, 09:17 PM
i have always been under the impression family could not claim tax cred for other members of the family to mind professionally or not my sister was looking into me having her daughter in hols and she was informed we are sisters and they could not fund it

Noodles
13-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Yeh thats right my o/h works for them and he said its not allowed

Noodles
13-03-2008, 09:34 PM
sorry i should have said that its not allowed if you only look after your granchildren/relatives

brillminder
04-04-2008, 03:56 PM
i have not seen a form that asks for relationship to child! often has different name so ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, working tax forms asks for ofsted number

Noodles
04-04-2008, 07:21 PM
i have not seen a form that asks for relationship to child! often has different name so ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, working tax forms asks for ofsted number

Yeh but it is stated somewhere that relatives cannot only look after related children.
If tax credits find out(and they do) then this will result in an overpayment that needs to be paid back

nannan
07-04-2008, 06:48 PM
when I looked after my grandchildren my daughter was unable to claim the tax credits hoping when she has finished her mat leave she will be able to claim so would be interested if family is able to legally claim

Noodles
07-04-2008, 09:00 PM
its ok as long as you care for other children too who are not related and not just grandchildren also has to be cared for in your home and not your daughters