PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use a humidifer?

Cazz
11-02-2010, 11:49 PM
My dd (2 years and 2 months) has got the most awful congestion and hacking chesty cough. She has been asleep for 15 minutes (max) at a time since she went to bed tonight.

I've done the usual - Olbas Oil on a hankie nearby and Vicks on her throat and chest but it's made no difference. I goggled "congestion and cough relief for toddlers" and humidifers kept being mentioned.

Do they work for congestion and coughs? If so, can anyone recommend a safe one to get for my dd's room (preferably not too expensive :rolleyes: )

I've just spent the last 10 minutes or so shut in the bathroom with her and the shower on full (which was also recommended). Her nose started to run so it must have helped but she did cough quite a bit. She's now wide awake and therefore I am too! :rolleyes:

I can send dh out for a humidifer tomorrow if it's likely to help?

sarah707
12-02-2010, 08:08 AM
I've used a dehumidifier for a damp room (just been plastered) and it worked well...

I imagine humidifiers work in reverse putting damp into the atmosphere!

You can also put a bowl on a radiator and that creates moisture.

They sell them in B & Q I think :D

SimplyLucy
12-02-2010, 08:12 AM
I use the vicks one for DS1.

He has suffered with croup since he was 10 months old and still gets it now at the age of 11.

It works fantastically for DS1's croup and I have lent it out to friends when their babies have been bunged up/chesty.

Ours looks like a parasol base with a unit you drop into a hole in the top that heats a tiny amount of water at a time and changes it to steam. It's very safe and you can add vapour if you want.

mama2three
12-02-2010, 08:13 AM
i have little jugs of water that i hang on the radiators which act in the same way as a humidifier - and you can put a drop of olbas or whatever in as well if you like. If its safe to , you can put boiling water in and the effect is quicker. if children are likely to tip the water out you could just put wet towels on the radiators ( or your washing!!)
hope lo is better soon.

sandy64
12-02-2010, 08:15 AM
hi caz sorry to hear your lo not well ive used one when my son had croup it was ok got from loyds chemist it was under £20 but it was a while age boots sell them im not sure if mothercare do them but like sarah said steam in a room is good i no the humidifiers are safe if youre leaving him on his own. hope hes better soon

Cazz
12-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks for your replies.

I had an awful night with her, poor thing. She was a bit less congested after we had been in the steamy bathroom but still coughing lots.

Eventually at 2.15am (still not been asleep by then!) she was coughing so much that mum's intuition told me she was going to be sick. This "cleared her out" a bit more and she/we eventually dropped off to sleep about 3.00am!

I've made her a doctors appointment for 12.00 to get her checked over, so I'll see what he suggests.

Roseolivia
12-02-2010, 05:39 PM
I have a humidifier and use it whenever Rose has a cold and blocked nose. I think it works.

sandy64
12-02-2010, 05:41 PM
hi caz how did you get on at docs is your lo ok?:)

Cazz
13-02-2010, 10:52 PM
hi caz how did you get on at docs is your lo ok?:)

She is a bit better thanks. Doctor said it isn't on her chest, all in her throat and nose so can't give her antibiotics.

I went to the chemist but apparently it is now the law that you can't give any cold or cough remedies to children under 6 (even though the boxes still say 2 years plus :rolleyes: ). I said I thought that was a bit cruel as adults take things to ease their symptoms but a small child just has to suffer!

She is better in herself during the day but still not sleeping particularly well. I've had to take her out for a drive in the car to get her to have a daytime nap the last two days and she is waking lots in the night.

Haven't been able to get humidifer yet but been boiling the kettle and leaving the lid open near her up until I go to bed. Also put some wet clothes on the radiator as someone suggested - I think it's been helping a bit.