PDA

View Full Version : how do we use the forum

sweets
10-02-2010, 07:48 AM
following from the thread about how we make time for the forum i just wondered how we all use it?

i hardly ever search the individual areas and tend to stick to the 'new posts' area figuring that i will see everything then as threads have to appear there at some point. :D

sarah707
10-02-2010, 07:52 AM
You do miss some stuff if you use 'new posts'... announcements and things.

I tend to do 'new posts' or 'today's posts' out of quick links menu.

Then when I have time I do a trawl round the different sections to spot any posts I've missed or haven't been answered.

:D

nell57
10-02-2010, 07:54 AM
following from the thread about how we make time for the forum i just wondered how we all use it?

i hardly ever search the individual areas and tend to stick to the 'new posts' area figuring that i will see everything then as threads have to appear there at some point. :D

Same here:blush: but I do try to make a point to look through all the sections now and again:D

miffy
10-02-2010, 07:58 AM
You do miss some stuff if you use 'new posts'... announcements and things.

I tend to do 'new posts' or 'today's posts' out of quick links menu.

Then when I have time I do a trawl round the different sections to spot any posts I've missed or haven't been answered.

:D

I do this too because you do miss things just looking at new posts.

When I first joined I didn't realise there was a new posts bit so I just looked through the sections but it takes more time to do that

Miffy xx

estrelas
10-02-2010, 08:04 AM
I start with green areas then work my way down!!
I rarely use the new post bit

Or if theres a certain thing i'm struggling with I go straight there = For example my heads up the wall at the moment with Tax :blush:

Mcgons
10-02-2010, 08:21 AM
I use 'new posts' 'todays posts' and then search for individual things I need help with. Then I end up reading all sorts of things that are nothing to do with what I'm looking for (but can end up being useful!):)

Winnie
10-02-2010, 08:46 AM
I use 'new posts' and 'todays posts' buttons, but if i'm very bored and nothing is happening on fb or my other groups them i start trawling through old posts- & it can be very interesting to see what i've missed first time round :)

Graham
10-02-2010, 11:09 AM
I use the thread subscription option, if there is a thread I am interested in I subscribe to it and then it shows up in my user CP if that thread is updated. I have also set my "edit options" so that any post I make automatically subscribes me to that thread and again it will show up in my user CP when the thread is updated.

There is an option that will email you when a subscribed thread is updated but if you subscribe to quite a few you will get lots of emails because this forum is so busy.

estrelas
10-02-2010, 11:11 AM
I use the thread subscription option, if there is a thread I am interested in I subscribe to it and then it shows up in my user CP if that thread is updated. I have also set my "edit options" so that any post I make automatically subscribes me to that thread and again it will show up in my user CP when the thread is updated.

There is an option that will email you when a subscribed thread is updated but if you subscribe to quite a few you will get lots of emails because this forum is so busy.

I used to do this but it drove me a bit mad being emailed all the time :blush:

Graham
10-02-2010, 11:13 AM
I used to do this but it drove me a bit mad being emailed all the time :blush:

You can cancel the email option and just check in your user cp when you log in.

I also find the search option very useful, if there is a particular topic I am interested in I just search for it and all the threads with that search criteria will be shown.

Chell
10-02-2010, 11:14 AM

I look at my usercp first, then either new posts or today's posts.

Which sections are missed if you use the new posts? I thought the function was just a bit random. :laughing:

mamasheshe
10-02-2010, 11:15 AM
I use 'new posts' 'todays posts' and then search for individual things I need help with. Then I end up reading all sorts of things that are nothing to do with what I'm looking for (but can end up being useful!):)

this is what i do xxxxxx

Pauline
10-02-2010, 11:17 AM

A post will definitely appear in the 'new posts' at some point but there are so many some days that the new posts can be pages and pages long so you might never get to the end. If I have done an announcement and locked the post, it will only show once, as the replies will not 'bump' it up, if you get what I mean.

A lot of people have missed competitions and other important info this way :(

nannymcflea
10-02-2010, 12:32 PM
As I have so much time on my hands with just working 2 days, I tend to start from the top and move on from there until I get fed up and head for the lounge!:blush:

Gizmo
10-02-2010, 12:36 PM
I use new posts, I didnt even know there was a todays posts:blush:
Same as others if I have lots of time I will have a look through everywhere

Minstrel
10-02-2010, 12:40 PM
I have a really weird way of doing things then by the looks of things!

I select new posts and go to the oldest 'new post' (ie. the last page ).

I read it and then select at the bottom ' next thread'.

I do that until there are no newer threads in for example Minding Chat.

Then I go back to new posts and select the next oldest one and do the same with that section.

Much quicker to whizz through them all and all new posts get read. Theres also a couple of sections that i never read so i just 'mark forum read ' these ones automatically.

:blush: I'm weird i know!

Pauline
10-02-2010, 04:56 PM
I have a really weird way of doing things then by the looks of things!

I select new posts and go to the oldest 'new post' (ie. the last page ).

I read it and then select at the bottom ' next thread'.

I do that until there are no newer threads in for example Minding Chat.

Then I go back to new posts and select the next oldest one and do the same with that section.

Much quicker to whizz through them all and all new posts get read. Theres also a couple of sections that i never read so i just 'mark forum read ' these ones automatically.

:blush: I'm weird i know!

Not weird - that sounds a good way of doing it to me! :D

It's a small world
10-02-2010, 05:30 PM

Me too and then forget what I was originally looking for and start all over again always come across new ideas or helpful info. Be lost without the forum

manjay
10-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Always new posts for me. Don't have much time for trawling:rolleyes:

sandy64
10-02-2010, 05:41 PM
i look at new posts first then anythink i need info on but i do get carried away as such a great forum:) :)

Minstrel
10-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Not weird - that sounds a good way of doing it to me! :D

Oh thanks! :thumbsup:

Must be good if you approve! :laughing: