PDA

View Full Version : what to do when new parents/mindees come for first visit?

coffee-time
09-02-2010, 11:17 PM
hi, im really close to being a registered childminder, got my crb back just waiting for my husbands now and hopefully the reg certificate wont take too long after that! the thing im worried about now (theres always something to worry about)! is when potential mindees come to visit with their parents, what do you all do? should it be quite formal or laid back, what questions should i be asking ect. i want to make a good impression obviously and im getting nervous about it already! please help.

mama2three
10-02-2010, 06:58 AM
its hard but try not to be nervous! Just be yourself and remember you are 'interviewing' them too!
I have only done 2 so hardly experienced - but what i did was set up all the toys etc as i would on a normal day , ensuring there are lots to suit the childs age. depending on the conversation you have on the phone beforehand you may be able to find out if the child has any favourite toys trains , dinosaurs , pushchairs whatever) , so you could put them out to make the child a bit more settled straight away.
Then i leave the parents with the child to make a cuppa , and when i bring their drinks through i give them my little booklet to look through , very basic information , all about myself ,how i care for childs needs , basic routines etc. I tend to get down on the floor with the child and play while they drink / look through and that way we can just chat. Then i show them round the house etc and answer any questions. I dont show policys etc unless they ask at this time. Before they go i explain what will happen next if they choose to take the place .. contracts , policys , settling in etc.
does any of that help? Im sure we all do it a little differently and thats fine , just remember even though you are nervous they will be too!