PDA

View Full Version : Bins - inside, outside and nappies

MacFi
09-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Finishing my risk assesments and thanks to you all I am a bit paranoid about bins now. One thread about tossing nappies out of windows in particular has made me laugh.
All advice gratefully received.:blush:

beccas
09-02-2010, 06:48 PM
my nappies go in a nappy bag and i open back door ant put it in the outside bin.

MacFi
09-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Is that because you're not allowed to use a nappy bin / inside bin?

beccas
09-02-2010, 06:56 PM
i suppose you could use nappy bin but not enough space, and i dont want it in my inside bin.

sweets
09-02-2010, 07:20 PM
wet nappies i do tend to put in the inside ben, i tend to empty that every day anyway. stinky ones get put straight into outside wheelie bin or if its pouring or i am busy i tend to throw it up the hallway to the front door and take it out to the bin later!

sarah707
09-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Nappies should be double wrapped and put into a lidded bin - definitely on inspection day :D

MacFi
09-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Sarah, you appear to be a guru so I am assuming that every thing you say is the gospel according to Ofsted but why are nappies seen as so radioactive? At present I just put them in the nappy bin which individually wraps them in a plastic wrapper and is emptied every other day / when full. If we're meant to double bag and use gloves / apron we're going to be directly repsonsible for the failure of our planets resources :rolleyes:
Also are we allowed to have things in the bin in the kitchen ( heaven forbid ) I know it needs a lid but mine has a press top so I make sure it never gets to a level that they can get stuff out is this enough?

Winnie
09-02-2010, 07:49 PM
mine (not mine personally :blush: honest :laughing: ) are popped into a nappy sack and in the lined bin - i've written 'wrapped nappies only' across the lid -just incase i forget :laughing:
edit-forgot to say- the bin is in the loo- ofsted and evironmental health were fine with this arrangement

sarah707
09-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Oh I've not used those disposal machines since dd was tiny (I didn't get on with mine and it broke) so I don't know about that sorry! I imagine they are ok so long as they are out of the play area / kitchen.

I've been told 'double wrap' by an inspector in the past - it's not a legislated matter, just good practice to contain the contents / smell especially as so many of the bags break or pop when you squash the air out.

I use the biodegradable bags from Asda or Boots - they're a bit more environmentally friendly I hope!

I would say the reasoning behind not putting them in the kitchen is for health and safety reasons... and the Environmental Health won't like it!!

They should go out of the house really or if not the house then away from areas where food is prepared or children are playing.

They certainly must not be anywhere children can fiddle with them - which can be an issue with some children who enjoy a bit of poo painting.

Hth :D

Gizmo
09-02-2010, 07:54 PM
I have in my health and safety policy that all bins will be emptied daily and any nappies will be double wrapped and placed in the outside bin. If its bin day or pouring rain I will hang the nappy bag in the outside of the back door till I can get out to wheelie bin :thumbsup:

MacFi
09-02-2010, 07:58 PM
This is making me laugh - to be clear I dont use the kitchen bins for anything but kitchen waste, it was just that I had read that they had to be empty while childminding which doent seem feasible.
The nappy bin is in the nursery so fine by the sounds of it and will bag up as well so should make them happy.
Any tips on what I should be aware of for outside bins?

francinejayne
09-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Outside bin - remember to put it out early on a bin day as the bin men just love to drive on by as you're running down the path with it just a weensy bit late!!!! That's my advice! :laughing:

TheBTeam
09-02-2010, 10:15 PM
I have a small lidded bin which is big enough to take a days nappy supplies from the numbers we are allowed, i keep it just to the side of the front door on the outside, so I just have to stick my head around and lean out to put the nappies in it. It is then emptied at the end of each day into the main bin outside, which is round the back of the house and not possible to get to during the day.

ajs
09-02-2010, 10:34 PM
now for a laugh

i throw the dirty ones out the cat flap as the back door is always locked and it's a faff to find the key every time i need to put a nappy out

TheBTeam
09-02-2010, 10:54 PM
now for a laugh

i throw the dirty ones out the cat flap as the back door is always locked and it's a faff to find the key every time i need to put a nappy out

As long as you dont knock the cat out on the way in!

the_nanny_uk2
12-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Glad I came across this thread now - just to throw something else at you - I use washable real nappies on my baby and the nappy bin for them is kept near the washing machine in the playroom. There is a nappy station set up in the diningroom on the table complete with anti bacterial handwash.
How best do you think I should cope with this method for Ofsted??

Jo x

keeks
12-02-2011, 10:09 PM
I've also got the nappy bin which wraps them individually. I have got changing mat and nappy bin in the play room (my lounge) so I don't need to leave any children or bring them all to do nappies.

I take it that's not ok then. :eek:

Can I keep them in the walk in toy/resource cupboard which is adjacent to the lounge?

I empty at the end of the day and clean with dettol spray.

xx

miffy
12-02-2011, 10:09 PM
As long as you dont knock the cat out on the way in!
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Poor P - it would probably take more than a nappy to knock him out though!

Miffy xx

Zoomie
12-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Glad I came across this thread now - just to throw something else at you - I use washable real nappies on my baby and the nappy bin for them is kept near the washing machine in the playroom. There is a nappy station set up in the diningroom on the table complete with anti bacterial handwash.
How best do you think I should cope with this method for Ofsted??

Jo x

As long as the nappy bin can't easily be accessed by the children, you should be fine. I had my bin in the bathroom upstairs, as that is where I flushed contents away and always washed my hands. I did a RA and OFsted were okay with this arrangement. My washing machine is in the kitchen, so I would also only put them onto wash outside of minding hours (ie when not preparing food).

Also nappy station, if table height, just RA what you would do with wiggly baby.

Allie
13-02-2011, 04:59 PM
I don't think there is a set way to deal with nappies, but you will need to justify the method you use should Ofsted ask.

I use a nappy wrapper bin, but still put the lot in a giant bin bag before putting it in the outside bin so double wrapped, but that's mainly because our bins are only emptied every other week.

Allie

Tily Bud
13-02-2011, 05:26 PM
now for a laugh

Me too !!

I dont feel so daft now x

haribo
13-02-2011, 07:11 PM
now for a laugh

thats exactly what i do :clapping:

WibbleWobble
13-02-2011, 08:17 PM
cat flap works for me too!!!

mandy x