PDA

View Full Version : Makaton Signs & Symbols

susi513
13-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Doing a Makaton course and its brilliant.

Last year I looked after a little lad who went to baby signing classes with his mum and they taught me some basic signs. Too young to express himself through speech but he could sign when he wanted his dummy or muslin. Which makes life much easier! Also, I reckon his speech development was pretty good - he was making all the right sounds eg "ta" for towel. Apparently some people have been worried using signs might delay speech development. But as you are speaking when you sign, I believe the opposite is happening - when you are signing you are speaking even more to the child, all the repetition is also helping them acquire speech.

This last month I've been working hard settling a 1 yr old who has never been left with anyone before. At the beginning she cried at the sight of me and couldn't bear me to pick her up or touch her even. I doubted we'd ever get beyond the settling in period. But she stops crying to watch me sign - she's fascinated by the hand movements and has some understanding of a few signs now. Which I think has helped tremendously - we've had our first tear-free day, hope its the first of many!

The preschool children are loving it too - it makes every song an action song!

Recommend going on a course if you get the chance. I've got various books, but had misinterpreted some of the signs - the pictures and explanations in books just aren't as clear as seeing someone demonstrate the sign properly.

Pauline
13-03-2008, 08:15 AM
That's great to hear Susi, well worth considering.

For anyone interested there is an excellent websites with resources here:

http://www.makaton.org

Spangles
13-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Hi Susi!

It's nice to read your message, you sound as excited about it as me!

I did babysigning with Benjamin when he was young and he could do loads of signs really early and I 100% know that it's benefitted him - and me. I got so much joy from being able to communicate with him in a two-way manner way before any other parents who didn't sign.

I did an online course a few months ago which was brilliant, I put the details on the old Forum - don't know if anyone else did it though.

It's a 6 week course and then you have access to the online dictionary for twelve months.

sarah707
13-03-2008, 08:25 AM
I am looking out for a course at the moment - I would love to be able to communicate better with the little one and help him to be less frustrated and angry... we do a few signs now at meal times and they are def helping :D

Tatia
13-03-2008, 09:39 AM
I absolutely love Makaton. I've done the training and use it around here. I've got three after-schoolers with additional needs and they all know and use Makaton so it has been a god-send for me. And the other kids are fascinated with it and spend a lot of time asking them to teach how to "say" things with their hands. All my parents think it's brill, too.

We did this exercise right at the beginning of the course where half of us sat with our backs to the screen and the other sat facing it and had to describe a picture without using speech and the other peson had to draw it. It was a great laugh but also highlighted how important good communication is, whatever the method.:thumbsup:

Twinkles
13-03-2008, 10:06 AM
I did a makaton course last year and really enjoyed it. It has been fun for the older children and helped to encourage a discussion and a greater understanding of people with special needs.
We like Mr Tumble , he uses Makaton and the children always try to do the signs.

Annie_T
13-03-2008, 12:25 PM
cool ,ive sent for courses in my area.. just got wait now hehe

Chell
13-03-2008, 12:56 PM
It is lovely to hear all the positive experiences of signing.

Research has shown that signing with pre-verbal doesn't prevent speech, infact it helps promote speech.

Makaton signs all come from British Sign Language, if you have BSL resources then you'll find many of the signs are the same.

It is great to see that Makaton is being used so much, I'm sure Mr Tumble has helped raise awareness.

elaineg
13-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Ive just been on the website to see if there are any courses around here, cross my fingers Id love to go on one.

love Elaine XX

cuddlybunny38
13-03-2008, 09:54 PM
I will also check out site would love to do this I know basic makaton use it at work with disabled people who have learning disabilites but would like to know more. Sharon:thumbsup:

aly
21-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi

I enquired about makaton and i've been given a number, but ill leave it til next week now as its easter.

Annie_T
24-03-2008, 10:00 AM
got my pack through now woop woop .. got read it properly and decide if i want do a course.. it not got prices of courses written down i have ring tutor in my area - which they wrote it on a form thing for me.
my fella thinks i mad coz want do so many courses lol

miffy
24-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Sounds good Susi pleased you are enjoying it

I've done a tiny talk course but that was only one evening very intense was great fun but hard to keep it up unless you've got the same children all the time which I haven't

miffy xx

ajs
24-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Sounds good Susi pleased you are enjoying it

I've done a tiny talk course but that was only one evening very intense was great fun but hard to keep it up unless you've got the same children all the time which I haven't

miffy xx

probably would have found it easier miffy if you'd behaved yourself i took it all in and remember all of the signs melanie taught us xx